JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I know AR builds tend to be a pretty popular subject on a lot of forum boards so forgive me if I am asking for information that has already been stated a thousand times.

That being said, I could spend hours perusing archives and past postings and put together some semblance of a coherent guide... or... I could ask my questions and have a somewhat tailor-made response from those of you who have the knowledge and experience to provide one.

First, I will list my experience with AR's.... Next to none. I have shot and played with various builds that some of my buddies have had in the past but other than that I have not really gotten into the nitty-gritty of them outside of magazine articles and the like. I understand the various components and what not that make up the base of an AR-15 but if I am going to do a build, I want to know where a good place to start would be.

I have not been interested in AR's until somewhat recently. It has seemed that doing AR builds in other calibers has been becoming more and more popular as of late, either that or I have just been out of the loop due to my lack of interest up to this point. I am not that interested in a .223 caliber, though I am very intent on doing a build in .308.

Basically my questions entail :

Where is a good place to start?

What are some good resources that can be used during a build?

Is it feasible to buy parts over an extended period of time if the end projects turns into a significant expense?

Is doing a .308 build a bad idea? i.e. platform issues, etc?

I know I probably have a lot more questions, but I will start with these. I am looking to potentially start my build in February or March of next year.

As always, any and all input/insight/general thoughts and concerns are always appreciated.

Take care all,

D

First, I will list my experience with AR's.... Next to none.

The .308 AR platform does not have the interchangeability that the AR15 platform has.

This FAQ well help you understand the differences in styles.

<broken link removed>

I you really want a .308 AR I would recommend you buy a complete rifle the first time. The $1500 CMMG SASS is the one I would recommend for a entry grade rifle. ArmaLite, Noveske or LMT build very nice .308 AR's.

A local vender sells them here.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...l-mag-pul-stock-2-20rd-semi-auto-rifle.58699/

CMMG has $1200 version with a M4 style butt stock.

The feedback I have read is they are great shooters, but they are new to the market and not that many owners yet.

The .308 AR platform does not have the interchangeability that the AR15 platform has.

Hi,

Thanks a bunch for the input as well as the link, I will be sure to check it out as well as the various rifles you mentioned.

I believe I have read somewhere that the interchangeability of a .308 AR would be limited in comparison to others, so I appreciate the confirmation.

I think you first you need to know what you want for the end result . A hunting rifle, survival rifle or a tack driving bench rifle.

Then decide which platform you want to start with

Armalite Ar10 = Higher price but higher quality. Possibly a little less options as less aftermarket Armalite specific parts. Armalite receivers are forged , chrome lined barrels standard. Armalite

LR308 platform= lower price , slightly lower quality . milled receivers non chrome lined barrels . more after market other manufacture parts for custom builds and pricing options . they also accept Pmags. or get the G3 lower receiver that uses $2 HK G3 mags

I think Armalite makes a lighter carbine rifle than DMPS by a little like ounces but ounces do add up.

Hi,

Thanks a bunch for the input as well as the link, I will be sure to check it out as well as the various rifles you mentioned.

I believe I have read somewhere that the interchangeability of a .308 AR would be limited in comparison to others, so I appreciate the confirmation.

what would you change it to ? why would that matter, how many different rails, stocks, barrels, pistol grips do you need to choose from?

The LR308 may give you more stock options as it takes the same stock and stock tube as a ar15 does (uses a different buffer though, if your building a dpms carbine i recommend a Slash lr308 tungsten buffer) , also shares the same fire control group as a ar15

Armalite makes a really good 2 stage trigger that comes standard in some of their rifles.

I am not really looking for a bench rifle, though I do want it to be accurate of course. I am looking to acquire an AR that will serve me well for both hunting and survival purposes. I won't get into why I prefer .308 over .223 at this time other than the fact that I do. If I can do an AR in .308, then its a win for me.

I am not too terribly concerned about interchangeability, it is just something to take note of at this time. I have a feeling that as soon as I get my first AR, I am going to be hooked and therefore will want to get another one, and then another one, etc.... I will probably get one in .223 at some point, as it will be cheaper to put rounds through. At that time, perhaps I can customize the living hell out of it. From what I have seen, they can easily become a significant money dump.

Regardless, I will look further into the rifles you mentioned eldbilbo, I appreciate the recommendations.

personally for hunting i would go a light as possible and a cabine 16 or 18" barrel

as far as barrel profile if it were just hunting i would go again the lightest weight you can get but if you plan on survival or doing mag dumps that will heat up the barrel go with a Hbar

or compermise and get a fluted hbar that will put it in between weight wise and create more cooling surface.

you will love your .308 they are too much fun to shoot and addicting , a little speedy to feed unless you reload.

they do make steel cased ammo that is affordable but can void warranty from certain makers .

the only negative to say about the ar308 platform

is they weigh more and cost more to shoot than .223

but like the .223 the ammo is very available .

LR308 platform= lower price , slightly lower quality . milled receivers non chrome lined barrels .

The DPMS LR-308 is a extruded receiver.

There are as many aftermarket parts for the AR10, N6, as the LR-308. Fewer for the LMT MWS.

I am not really looking for a bench rifle, though I do want it to be accurate of course. I am looking to acquire an AR that will serve me well for both hunting and survival purposes. I won't get into why I prefer .308 over .223 at this time other than the fact that I do. If I can do an AR in .308, then its a win for me.

The lightest .308 AR platform is still a heavy rifle, more than I would want as a hunting rifle. Maybe look at the AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel trademark has been released, it is SAAMI accepted now. Several companies are offering affordable ammo.

It's a better long range round than the .308, has the energy for hunting anything but the very largest game, and being a AR15 it is considerably lighter than the .308 rifles.

Hi just put together a mega receiver with help from Curts this isn't a cheep build. Still can't find the stock I want so buying parts alittle at a time can be hard to get exactly what you want.
If you look at this forum there are a couple good guns for sale that you would be ahead on instead of building I wanted a tack driver. So that's what I built. if you can get some one to let you shoot one before you build or buy give it a try. Talk To as many guys that have one you can. Have fun

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top