JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. I have a Walther PPQ M2 9mm and its my EDC. Love the gun a ton. It carries easily, and conceals pretty well on me.
That being the case, I am looking to pick up a second pistol. I'm just not sure what route to go. These are the two routes I am thinking.

Option 1:
Buy a single stack (likely a 9mm to keep ammo the same). And use that as a new EDC and move the PPQ to my BOB/Backpack/Whatever pistol.

Option 2:
Buy a common pistol (maybe Glock 19) and stash it in my BOB knowing that parts are easy to get and many people have them so if SHTF I can get parts and whatnot if I tried hard enough.

I should add that I already have a .22 rifle with my BOB.

Looking for input on what route others may suggest, or other ideas. And also suggestions about a choice for a pistol for each option.

Last Edited:
I'm biased. How about a G42 for EDC? Yes, its .380 but there are great Defensive rounds for it and its SO EASY to carry. As far as a SHTF weapon, unless you have "worn out" your PPQ I really don't worry about parts. Modern pistols will fire an amazing amount of rounds before failure. And something tells me that NONE of us will get that many off without return fire.

Thanks for the input. I could consider any caliber, but at the same time I don't mind only having to find and stock one. I do also see how that could play to a problem possibly.
I see your point about the PPQ being fine for SHTF but at the same time I could drop the glock in the bag and let it sit and trust it to pick up and shoot.

We if I was planning for a SHTF scenario I would want something dead reliable, easy to find ammo, multi-purpose, and something I could leave in a bag for extended periods of time without worry. That selection criteria could certainly include a stainless steel revolver.

My caliber of choice would be a .357 magnum as it is so versatile, great for self protection and hunting. My guess is ammo would also be easier to find in a worst-case-scenario than something like a .44 magnum. Since you already have a 9mm, the .357 allows the addition of .38 special and .357 magnum choices should ammo be in short supply. And they are not finicky with ammo, you can shoot whatever you can find, although I would make sure to have some 180 or 200 gr. hardcast hunting loads in the BOB. A 4", 5", or even 6" .357 magnum should pretty much cover all of your bases.

There is a youtube video of renowned shooter Jerry Miculek being asked in an interview that if he could only own one gun, what would he choose? His response was a .357 magnum revolver because of it's reliability and versatility. Works for me, works for him, might also work for you too. Something to consider.

I like having two of the same gun, so my recommendation is get another PPQ. My reasons are I like separate range and carry guns (but serves as a backup) and don't have to get different magazines, holsters, etc.

If the PPQ works for you as EDC, what do you gain by getting a single stack?

We if I was planning for a SHTF scenario I would want something dead reliable, easy to find ammo, multi-purpose, and something I could leave in a bag for extended periods of time without worry. That selection criteria could certainly include a stainless steel revolver.
It's been a long time since I have shot a revolver so maybe I should look into them again. I remember that when i had shot them before i wasn't a big fan of how they sat in my hand. Granted this was several years ago and my hands have surely grown since. I will have to look around and see what I can find/shoot and see if there is something that I end up liking.

I like having two of the same gun, so my recommendation is get another PPQ. My reasons are I like separate range and carry guns (but serves as a backup) and don't have to get different magazines, holsters, etc.

If the PPQ works for you as EDC, what do you gain by getting a single stack?

I hadn't really thought of picking up a second PPQ, I'll have to think about that.
And as far as the second part of your question. If I were to pick up a single stack for a new EDC I could move the PPQ to my bag gun. Plus the single stack would conceal a bit easier than the PPQ (There is always room for improvement right).

Glock 26 be nice. You have options with it. You can build it bigger, it has good capacity (10+1 all the way to 33+1), and good reliability.
I know you said single stack, but a G26 isn't that bad.

Glock 26 be nice. You have options with it. You can build it bigger, it has good capacity (10+1 all the way to 33+1), and good reliability.
I know you said single stack, but a G26 isn't that bad.
If I were to get a G26 it'd likely be the backup and I'd keep the PPQ as my EDC. It shoots so much better than any glock I've ever shot. That or a G19 were my thoughts if I were to go with a gun to add to the backpack.
Another vote for a revolver. .357 would be my choice as well, due to the fact it can shoot 2 different calibers.
With all the suggestions, I'm going to have to take another look into revolvers and see if my mind has changed. I do like the "if it doesn't fire. Pull the trigger again" concept of them.

G26 is a fine suggestion. Having said that, my EDC for summer is a Kahr K9. Slim, concealable, 9mm, all steel construction and extremely accurate.
I'm just about done with plastic guns, although I still have an H&K P30, 9mm.
I also agree with the .357 magnum. I've got a few Smiths in stainless. Everybody should have at least one.
Will

glocks second no none? really? I think I just threw up a little.

Revolvers are always good, S&W would be my choice. Everybody ought to own at least one 1911 too, in any caliber. doesn't have to be a boutique gun either, I saw a nice used parkerized springfield the other day for $400. Just gotta resist the urge to throw a bunch of aftermarket parts on it.

It's been a long time since I have shot a revolver so maybe I should look into them again. I remember that when i had shot them before i wasn't a big fan of how they sat in my hand. Granted this was several years ago and my hands have surely grown since. I will have to look around and see what I can find/shoot and see if there is something that I end up liking.

I hadn't really thought of picking up a second PPQ, I'll have to think about that.
And as far as the second part of your question. If I were to pick up a single stack for a new EDC I could move the PPQ to my bag gun. Plus the single stack would conceal a bit easier than the PPQ (There is always room for improvement right).

What skerky said makes allot of sense if you just want another gun. You get very proficient with one caliber and gun. Lot's of experts have said the same thing and it's very logical. With that said, having 2 of the same guns though is not nearly as much fun as finding something new. The door is wide open as to brands, sizes, and caliber choices. In semi autos, for personal protection I prefer a .45 ACP loaded with what I consider the most effective self defense round available- 230 gr. Winchester Ranger T +P. If I needed a new .45, it would probably be a polymer framed one like those from H&K, FNH, S&W or maybe the ugly duckling Glock.

However it sounded like you wanted a gun for your BOB in case of a SHTF scenario. If so, then you need a gun that is very versatile and would give you more ammo choices. A 9mm handgun is not known as a great choice for hunting game nor fending off big hairy creatures. That's where something like the .357 revolver comes in to play.

So you really need to stop and think about what that second gun is going to be used for so you can narrow it down further. Do you want a smaller CCW, a duplicate for better proficiency, a true BOB gun for SHTF, something with better stopping power than a 9mm, or just a new 9mm? You will have to decide that one. One you do, then this forum is a great place to learn more.

"fending off big hairy creatures", I take it you mean some of the walmart moms? just kidding.

imho the 9mm is one of the poorest choices for self defense, when so many better cartridges exist. This may start a turdstorm from those heavily invested in the 9mm. They may even trot out the dreaded ballistic gel evidence!! "Blah blah bullet is as good as/better than your whatever! See! The ballistic gel proves it!" I have never been assaulted by ballistic gel, but just in case I'll keep my .45 acp around.

.38 special/.357 is a very good choice, in my experience and generally if you have a barrel length 4 inches or less a .357 isn't going to gain you much over a .38 special. In longer barrels is where the 357 shines. Actually I prefer a .38 or .38+p, less muzzle blast and quicker recovery time.

Of course I am biased a little, the two most accurate guns I have ever owned have been a 1911a1 and a Model 14 S&W with an 8 3/8 inch barrel.

Last Edited:
So you really need to stop and think about what that second gun is going to be used for so you can narrow it down further. Do you want a smaller CCW, a duplicate for better proficiency, a true BOB gun for SHTF, something with better stopping power than a 9mm, or just a new 9mm? You will have to decide that one. One you do, then this forum is a great place to learn more.

So I read this on my lunch break at work and definitely did some thinking about it.
I do want something new (I love my PPQ, and perhaps when the Navy gets cheaper I'll pick one up). The more I thought about it the more I am open to new calibers.
I'm still not sure if I would rather get a new EDC or BOB/SHTF gun. Convince me one way or another.
I would like to stay affordable (I know cheap and reliable don't exactly fit in a sentence together). Around a $600 price point, could go more for the right gun.
I am thinking for now I will stay semi auto. But I will also look into the highly recommended .357 Mag.

coop44- Lol, yes exactly for those Walmart moms!

Vierings- Here are a couple ballistic gels tests of .45 ACP semi autos shooting 230 gr. Winchester Ranger T ammo. The first is non +P, the second is +P in a short barrel. The FBI testing of this round is equally impressive but you will have to hunt that one down. You can find this ammo online despite Winchester's statement that it is only available for law enforcement. I'm a revolver guy but this combination has replaced them as my #1 defensive handgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top