JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looked at a Stoeger Cougar 40 S&W pistol the other day. It uses the rotating barrel like the Beretta PX4. The price is very reasonable, and the reviews I've read online are positive. I like the metal frame versus poly. Anybody have one of these? Anybody had experience with these? Good deal, bad deal, or keep looking? Thanks!

The Stoeger Cougar is basically a Beretta 8000. Stoeger is a Beretta subsidiary. When Beretta itself ceased production of the 8000, it shipped the entire manufacturing line, technology and all, to Turkey where production costs could be drastically reduced. But it's still manufactured to Beretta standards and technically, metallurgically, and in every other sense is still a Beretta. The Cougars have gotten great reviews. I don't own one but I've fired one and it's a fine weapon, all at a cost that seems unbelievably cheap. But it's only inexpensive. No way it's cheap. You won't go wrong getting one.

My son has the 8045F the .45ACP version of the pistol your interested in and its an outstanding quality firearm. Accurate and very nice to handle. He's extremely happy with it as his first Pistol (though he is a very experianced pistol shooter having shot my various pistols since he was quite young. And his experiance in the US NAVY where he regularly shoots a M9)

The only thing I can add to the already excellent information posted. The fit and finish of the Stoeger Cougar's are great but the finish is just not that of the original Beretta. Of all the Beretta's I have seen or held there is a certain look/feel that is Beretta. The Stoegers do not capture that but they are every bit of a quality firearm. The original Beretta Cougar was designed around the .40 S&W so it has the "beef" needed to handle that round and then chambered for the 9mm and .45ACP. This is just an opinion but if Glock had not come out to play, Beretta would still be making the Cougar and getting at least $700 for them.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

No experience with the Stoeger, but I do have a 9mm Inox Beretta Cougar. I hear the Stoegers are just as reliable, just not at pretty.
My Cougar is a very good shooter, low recoil. Only issue I had was when I let it get a bit dry, it would fail to feed. Since the barrel rotates, you have to make sure it's lubed well to keep it running.

My 8045 had a trigger that was slightly off center (one side of the frame was drilled slightly lower than the other.) It took months for me to notice. Other than that, the gun was superb. It never malfunctioned. The huge handle felt like Captain Caveman's club. Lots of fun. Very cool operating system. I liked the ability to rack with the safety on, decocking when it returned to battery. Very easy to shoot well.

I felt it wasn't the most practical 45, so I traded it. Eight plus one in a really big heavy gun seems stingy, but worse was the sub four inch barrel in what for me was surely relegated to house gun status. Would another half inch have killed them? In spite of these annoyances, I regret trading it in.

If the specs on the 40 look good to you, I suggest you buy one.

Stopped by Keith's in Gresham again today. Keith's has the best price on the Stoeger Cougar I had seen anywhere at $379.00. I've looked at this particular pistol four or fives times before, but I just couldn't resist taking another look, and maybe holding it again. Much to my delight I found they had a used one for $300.00! It was marked "as new". If this pistol had been shot by the previous owner it was not much. It looks brand new! I couldn't resist, I made the purchase. I'll let you all know how it shoots after I visit the range. Thanks for all the advise and help on this one!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top