JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have one of those little dehydrator's and it never gets used because I can only make a couple lbs of jerky (I'm aiming more at steak strips that have a little give to them and not real dry meat) at the most with it.

I want to make closer to 10-15lbs+ at a time.

I'm looking for ideas on how to make/convert something larger like a used small fridge or smoker and don't really want to pay $190 for a low end new one.

All ideas are welcome and feel free to add recipes if you'd like (I can't add sugar so this is a large part of why I am looking at making my own) - I would like to try not only beef, but probably turkey, salmon and whatever else goes on sale or I put in my freezer from hunting.

Thanks

I use a big chief smoker, with straight soy sauce as a brine, for venison jerky. The smoker holds right at 18 lbs. of jerky's sliced about 3/16" thick, I run 2 pans of hickory chips through it, then leave it on about 8 hours to dry the jerky.

Last Edited:
Smoker is the only way to fly! Make your own out of cedar wood and cementand use a electric fan to build a cold smoking setup! Total investment depends on how much you can repurpose. I spent about $120 to build the last one at my Ranch! :)

This is what got me thinking:

IMG_3315.PNG

Smoker as mentioned is the best way to go. You see used ones from time to time in the usual places, or they can of course be made. If you type it into your favorite search all kinds of ideas and plans will pop up. Give you some good idea's of things to looks for free to make into one. Have seem all kinds of things people threw out that were then used to make one that works fine. Makes my mouth water just thinking about home made jerky!!!

I just watched a YouTube video where a guy made jerky with ground meat.

Other then buying Store spices it looked pretty good.
When I made mine that was how I did it. Bought a nice dryer and the recipes suggested that. Seemed strange at first but it does work. I bought a grinder to go on Wife's high end stand mixer and would grind Top sirloin with all fat cut off. Stuff was great and man would the dogs go nuts when the dryer was running filling the house with the smell. :):):):):)

I have a older Smoke Hollow you can borrow to try it out but it's hard to keep the temperature down. It will smoke it fast but I would probably go with a different smoker for jerky.

Thanks for the offer it is appreciated. Since I'm going for softer thicker jerky I probably need it lower and slower to keep from having crunchy outsides.

I use the oven. Lowest temperature possible. I think it's like 150 or so. With the door open, cracked actually with metal spoon. I clean the racks and hang the meat off the rack itself. Let it go until I get it to the right chewyness, testing after 4-6 hours till done. Usually takes around 8 hours.

Essentially you could just leave it out to dry too. IE just hang it anywhere.

If it is cured correctly, the drying method isn't as important in my eyes.

And yes I've dried jerky out in the open. My wife didn't like it, she just saw it as raw meat hanging in the kitchen. It sat there in the kitchen for nearly a week and a half before it was to my chewy gauge of liking.

I have a big chief .
Lol I have tried to make a little bit .
I need to try some different recipes.
The first batch was too salty the second was not bad.
But could be better .still testing.

I have a big chief .
Lol I have tried to make a little bit .
I need to try some different recipes.
The first batch was too salty the second was not bad.
But could be better .still testing.

Try soaking it in a vat of diluted MSG, red dye#5, a splash of phylaxpashippen, and xantham gum (to preserve freshness)..

Seriously, don't do that..... LOL!

When I was a kid my dad converted an old refrigerator into a smoker. He used to smoke salmon and lake trout primarily that was caught out of lake Michigan at Manistee. Turned out surprising well as I remembet.

Actually some meat companies will make it for you to specs. At a surprisingly low cost.
Where my son works they make some of the best jerky ive had. Anyways thats an option to let someone that
has a commercial size smoker. Just a thought if you want a allot of it. They make sticks too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top