JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I'm a lifetime gun owner/user, but like many I was not brought up around hunters.

Looking for someone with at least a bit more experience then myself and in the SW WA area.

I have gear, transportation, etc and I'm a very quick study.

I will be joining a lifetime hunter for deer season in OR this September so I'll have one hunt under my belt by the time deer season hits here in WA.

Would like to fill my tag if possible this year.

Thanks!

Joe

Last Edited:
I am in the same situation as you. Done lots of fishing. Have butchered rabbits and chickens from being on grandpa's farm but have never been hunting. Fortunately my uncle has hunted before and will be going with us Elk Hunting so I am hoping to pick up as much knowledge from him as possible. One thing I hear from many is to get in shape so you can go hike the hills. My biggest concern is to not get shot by some donkey that is trigger happy.

I am thinking if I even see an Elk my first year out that will be considered a success.....

of course no one likes comments like this and I know it doesnt help but im in the same boat as you just on the other side of the river.

Another brother that feels my pain;)

It's all good Nate, I hope you are able to find someone in your area for this year.

I figure worst case for me is a week of camping/hiking and no meat this year. I can live with that.

hell. half the time "hunting" is nothing more than a hike in the woods with extra gear and a rifle. split up with long periods of sitting and freezing your bubblegum off. but man o man is it better than a day doing honey-do's

Modern firearm hunting is a zoo. So be ready for that. I am taking a kid from New York out for his first hunt. Now if you see this kid of India decent you would never guess he wants to hunt. But he is flying in and paying the big fee to get a critter. Should be a hoot cause he is a great kid and is super smart. But he needs to lose the tight jean thing, get some real boots and gear.

Good luck on your hunt. You live down in the vancouver area right?

so are you guys looking to bow hunt, smoke pole or what?

My thoughts were to spend the fall and winter hunting rabbits with a 20ga and a .22.

Going to try and take a deer with a .308. That's what I'd most likely need the most help with.

I'd like to try bow hunting in a few years; right now I only own firearms and would like to fill the freezer a time or two before investing more cash into a bow and the gear.

I'm sort of in the same boat and not too familiar with hunting in this area (from Oregon) but I go with a friend that at least knows more than me and knows the area.
I will tell you for modern rifle season anywhere near vancouver is going to be like going to the mall around xmas.
It's scary. I would much rather drive somewhere and stay the night and hunt the next day far far from the city.
Wear lots of orange!
And yes plan on hiking and if your "lucky" enough to get an elk remember you have to hike that muther out.
My suggestion make some kind of cart, have a wheeler, or some brute friends you can pay in meat.

I don't get out and go hunting as often as I like to, we might be doing a hunt down in norcal this november (feral hog). I havn't been in WA long enough to really get out and scope out some good places to hunt. In fact, I keep having to travel all over the damn place for work. My favorite critters to hunt are small game, predators (coyote), and feral hog. My understanding is that wild pig is pretty much non-existent up here, which is both good and bad.

I'm kinda've lazy when it comes to hunting, usually I will spend a day or two scoping out where the critters are, and then set-up a blind and sit there glassing it all day. I've done the run-around all day until you find something, however that always ends badly (ever shot a big animal on the wrong side of the hill where recovery required 4 people, and lots of rope? I have!) so I find where the critters are, find out when the critters are there, and then act like an ambush predator.

Gave up the deer scene years ago as my last adventure towards the east was just to much. There were people everywhere and am sure it has just gotten worse over the years. Sad thing to see but it just soured it all for me in the end.

Good luck Joe and hope you get to get out and at least get a taste of the adventure;)

If you don't mind steep canyons and packing out your kill...give me a shout! I would first have to see you shoot...Don't mean to sound like an A-hole but, Safety and shooting skill is a must! PM me if you want to talk some more.

I'd take you hunting with me but we would spend the whole time arguing about which is the best hunting round the 30.06 or the .308 :D

JK i am in oregon so couldn't help you anyway

Joe if you don't have one please let me know. Its my third year hunting in Washington. I will be doing Deer/Elk. I got some vacation time set aside for hunting this year haven't put anything dead in stone yet. I usually take my kids out roaming if I am alone or one of my brother laws tag along. I hunt in the Yacolt burn or the surrounding area. I have had success and failures in Washington but its a learning adventure every time.

Joe if you don't have one please let me know. Its my third year hunting in Washington. I will be doing Deer/Elk. I got some vacation time set aside for hunting this year haven't put anything dead in stone yet. I usually take my kids out roaming if I am alone or one of my brother laws tag along. I hunt in the Yacolt burn or the surrounding area. I have had success and failures in Washington but its a learning adventure every time.

Maybe but it's not set yet.

Clear out some space and send me a convo and we can go from there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top