JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So not a good idea to carry wasp spray for self-defense, but in a jam anything that's as close to proportional as you can get should be OK. If someone is beating my neighbor with a bat and the nearest thing I can find is a rock, I'll probably be in the clear. Is that about right?
Here is my point. Let's lower your bat vs. neighbor scenario to a less than lethal scenario such as larger, stronger person vs. smaller, weaker defender (and let's say the disparity of force is not justifying lethal force al. la. Zimmerman). In the eyes of a DDA who is deciding whether to file charges against you or in the seat of the juror who holds your fate of never being able to lawfully own firearms, would you be better off intentionally carrying bear spray / wasp spray / oven cleaner and use it to defend your neighbor or just grabbed the bear spray in your garage to stop this attack? (Personally I would leave the other two out of the equation in a non-lethal encounter.)

I look at laws, but ultimately we are dealing with humans. The level of defensive force must be justified in all cases. But what if we happen to nudge this slightly too high in the opinion of the law? It is going to be VERY DIFFICULT to walk back the fact that you intentionally carried a tool that was a) not intended to be used against persons, b) is not commonly carried by lawful citizens, c) not a tool used and approved by LEO's.

I have seen effective attorneys at work and watched them make something seemingly minor out to be the whole point of the case (anyone remember, "If the glove don't fit...)? Have also observed them work over witnesses, officers and defendants in court until there was just a puddle of mush left in the witness box. Someone carrying a non-standard "weapon" would be and easy day for them. I'll never say anything is "OK" because again, we are dealing with human emotion along with the laws.

Here is my point. Let's lower your bat vs. neighbor scenario to a less than lethal scenario such as larger, stronger person vs. smaller, weaker defender (and let's say the disparity of force is not justifying lethal force al. la. Zimmerman). In the eyes of a DDA who is deciding whether to file charges against you or in the seat of the juror who holds your fate of never being able to lawfully own firearms, would you be better off intentionally carrying bear spray / wasp spray / oven cleaner and use it to defend your neighbor or just grabbed the bear spray in your garage to stop this attack? (Personally I would leave the other two out of the equation in a non-lethal encounter.)

I look at laws, but ultimately we are dealing with humans. The level of defensive force must be justified in all cases. But what if we happen to nudge this slightly too high in the opinion of the law? It is going to be VERY DIFFICULT to walk back the fact that you intentionally carried a tool that was a) not intended to be used against persons, b) is not commonly carried by lawful citizens, c) not a tool used and approved by LEO's.

I have seen effective attorneys at work and watched them make something seemingly minor out to be the whole point of the case (anyone remember, "If the glove don't fit...)? Have also observed them work over witnesses, officers and defendants in court until there was just a puddle of mush left in the witness box. Someone carrying a non-standard "weapon" would be and easy day for them. I'll never say anything is "OK" because again, we are dealing with human emotion along with the laws.
It seems to me that's what I just said. :D

Maybe I missed something, but why would say that?

The highlights.
her arm strength isn't what it used to be.....
Her eyesight is also declining a bit, and it was difficult for her to line up the sights on a few different handguns (my apologies to CCSO for the hole in the ceiling).
She walks with a cane a lot
She also has some balance issues

No one gets younger. Todays health issue rarely gets better for older folks. We all want the best for them, and truthfully, none of us know this person. We only know that she's fortunate to have someone who cares so much for her to try and help her work this out, but other than that, we all carry our own baggage into the discussion. For example, buddy of mines father seemed all rational all of his life, was a solid man of good character. As he got old and his body went, his mind started to slip as well, he started acting irrational here and there. One thing he started up was shooting at squirrels on his roof. Holes in his own roof weren't an issue, but if a round went wild in a crowded city....that would be an issue.

I'm not suggesting that titsonritz aunt will have those issues, but they can follow along with old age as many of us have seen. It would be easy to transition her to a form of security that is less lethal but still effective now, maybe not so much later.

Best to all

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top