JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planing to take my H&K SL8 down to California for rabbit hunting this summer. The California Law prohibits semiautomatic rifle with thumbhole.
I am looking for some gunsmith who know how to fill the thumbhole on the HK SL8 synthetic stock and make it looks like it is manufactured without the thumbhole.
I live in Lake Stevens Washington. I preferred some one close. I dont mind travel if the work is good.

here is what the finished stock should look like.

G36C_Gen_III_012.jpg
G36C_Gen_III_011.jpg

if someone can help me build the trigger group will be great too. I want an extra stock for California and keep my original for Washington
thanks.

Im not sure about this...but could you go to like tap plastics, or premier rubber and just have them make a plug for it? That would be cool if you could just stick a black rubber plug in while you're in cali and pop it out when you get home...I dunno

Nwcid

Well in CA, there 3 assault weapon categories.
Category I AW are those listed in the law, i.e. Steyr AUG, AR15, AK 47, HK91 and so on.
Category II are those rifles that with minor Variations of Category I.
Category III are those rifles that has certain features. Semi-auto with detachable magazine and plus one of these: pistol grip, thumbhole, flash suppressor, folding stock and so on.

The HK SL8 original configuration falls into Category III. However, if the thumbhole is filled, it is not AW and I can have the detachable magazine. Or I permanently glued the magazine then I can have the thumbhole.

I thought about it. It will be more logical to buy extra stock and have the thumbhole filled. And use the filled stock in CA and the other in other state.

I talked to Jim from West Coast Armory, he said he can filled it for me, but have not provided me with the quote yet. So I may have him filled one stock and see the quality and filled the second one, since I have two SL8 need to done.

Most politicians in CA are crooks or retards. They made retarded laws

Do you plan on bunny hunting in CA enough to warrant this expense also? ( sorry if I'm being nosy...just seems like a lot to go through for a possible one time trip )

What about a mag block like they use on the AKs? Wouldn't be a permanent mod...

md65leftclose.jpg

billdeserthills:
I understand your concern. But it is unconstitutional to have a law which a person with normal intelligent can not understand (Kesler vs. lockey). I am not try to be a smartass. I am just do it according to the law. CA DoJ also states on their website that if the Category III AW features are removed then it is no long AW and is allow to sale. Plus we can not let those politicians who doesnt like gun bully us like that or use us to gain national attention.

Unka-Boo

I live 15 years in CA and now I live part-time in California. All my hunting spots are in So Cal. If anyone interest in hunting in So Cal, I can give them some locations.
As a matter of fact, RaddLock makes lock for SL8 to make it CA compliance, but has not approved by CA DoJ. AK or AR are definitely illegal in CA simply because they are banned by name. except the scissor AR which has permanently fixed magazine.

billdeserthills:
I understand your concern. But it is unconstitutional to have a law which a person with normal intelligent can not understand (Kesler vs. lockey). I am not try to be a smartass. I am just do it according to the law. CA DoJ also states on their website that if the Category III AW features are removed then it is no long AW and is allow to sale. Plus we can not let those politicians who doesnt like gun bully us like that or use us to gain national attention.

Unka-Boo

I live 15 years in CA and now I live part-time in California. All my hunting spots are in So Cal. If anyone interest in hunting in So Cal, I can give them some locations.
As a matter of fact, RaddLock makes lock for SL8 to make it CA compliance, but has not approved by CA DoJ. AK or AR are definitely illegal in CA simply because they are banned by name. except the scissor AR which has permanently fixed magazine.

I Hear Ya and I applaud your sensabilities, they seem to echo my own, just that at 47 y/o I have met some folks who are sorry they didn't quit when they coulda stayed ahead. Myself, I try not to regret things I can't change

billdeserthills:

Unka-Boo

The pic I posted is a CA compliant AK.

The pic I posted is a CA compliant AK.

you really have to be really careful with which AK you are referring to, because if it Category I AW, it doesnt matter what u do to it. It is still illegal. For example Steyr AUG is Cat I and there is a part you can install into it to make it fall out of the Cat III AW, but it is still illegal to have it, because it has the name Steyr AUG. Steyr USR is also banned because it is a variant of AUG, and it falls in Cat II

What I am saying is if it belongs to Cat I or II, there is no way you can make it CA complaint. The way I describe the CA AW law is:
Cat I: ban by name
Cat II: ban by similarity with Cat I
Cat III: ban by features. (this law also called the Senator Bill 23 (SB 23))

more detail regarding Cat I and II is on California Penal Code 12276, and Cat III is one 12276.1 (aka SB 23)

If you have any Cat I or Cat II AW, you have to register them before the deadline which has passed already in order to possess it. If not, you have to sell it to other state or surrender it to the LE.

I found the law and the option is ridiculous and open for challenge in the future. The father CAN NOT pass the family WWII pride to the son! Because AW is not transferable in CA. The father have to take it to his grave.

Is the SL8 on the CA DoJ list? I thought it came out after the list was compiled....

( not trying to be a pain, just learn something...)

SL8 is not on the Cat I or Cat II, but is Cat III. If you fill the thumbhole or remove the detachable magazine feature, then it is no longer Cat III thus off the list. And that is exactly what I am planing to do, fill the thumbhole and keep the detachable magazine.
In the future if they put the SL8 on the list, then I will have gracing period to register it in my CA address. This the part of law I have not familiar with. If in the future it is AW, can I install folding stock and high cap mag.. I will study more of these laws. I found that the Equal protection Clause in th14th amendment is a really good tool to use if you ever get into gun related charges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top