JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering re-bluing the barrels on an o/u shotgun that is pretty valuable. I'm wondering who folks would recommend for quality work. Location is not much of an issue as I live pretty remotely and will likely have to send the barrels in. I just want quality work. Thanks in advance...

If its all that valuable, I would probably ship them back east to Turnbull Restorations. His shop is amongst the best in the nation for refinishing work. The problem with double barrels is that if they were soft soldered in place, they have to be rust blued, which is a difficult and time consuming process. Since you are going to send them out anyway, might as well send them to the best...

Thanks much for the info! It's kind of a weird deal. I won the gun recently, so it's brand new. A kid put some scratches in the barrel that bother the heck out of me cuz it's never even been out. Since I don't have much invested I thought I could get the thing redone and not have to look at them anymore. I realize a lot of pepople may not care, but I tend to. I tried a Birchwood Casey blue pen but it just didn't work.

2 Questions:

1) Since it's brand new I've been told it's likely not soft soldered. Is that true?

2) Since it's brand new, I'm thinking a quality refinish will not affect the value. Is that true?

Thanks in advance...

First, unless its a collectible gun, having a QUALITY refinish done should not significantly harm the value, especially since it seems significantly scarred now.

Second, its still a crap shoot as to whether or not its soft soldered or not. Its less likely with a new production gun, but not out of the realm of possibility either. Still needs to be checked.

As for Todd at Koonce Custom, he does excellent work, but I'm not sure about his slow rust bluing work as its one thing I never saw him do when we were in school together. For a standard blue job, I'd never hesitate to take it to Todd. For something more specialized, Doug Turnbull in New York is my shop of choice. I've done it before (slow rust) and its a pain in the butt long process...

Thanks so much for all of the info. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Is there a simple way to figure out if the barrels were soft soldered or not, or do I just need to let a gunsmith look at it? The gun is Italian or I guess I would call the manufacturer.

Thanks again...

Let the gunsmith do it. Its a matter of scratching the solder and checking the color. Let a pro do it. Its just safer. If he screws up, then its his fault. If you say its one thing and its another, then its on you...

Man - thanks a ton for all of your guys' help. It is really appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be awhile, but I'll let you know how it turns out when it's done.

Thanks again...:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads