JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree that given the coins and opportunity a Detective Special might be the best option. But with used guns it's so much a matter of the individual gun and the amount of use they have had. And Colts are usually spendy. I've only owned two Colts. A "Colt .357 mag" -- the only marking, a heavy parkerized 4 inch, and a ss Anconda .44 mag 6 inch. At this point I regret selling both.

I owned a Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp. On the third shot the hammer and several other parts fell off. A Charter 22 Pathfinder I bought at the same time was also a POS, but at least it didn't spontaneously fall apart. This was decades ago. On page 2 in the General Firearm Discussion forum is a thread "Just for fun: worst gun you ever owned?" This sort of thread should be fun and useful at this point. Charter regularly makes such worst ever lists. Taurus does too, but it is apparently a quality control, with some being good for the price and others being POSs. You are right that the triggers of these are generally heavy and rough compared with a SW or ruger. Generally the SW will have a lighter smoother trigger than the 101. But it varies from gun to gun, especially with used guns. I think preference for the SW 60 versus Ruger SP 101 is pretty closely divided among experienced revolver afficianados. (See the S&W vs Ruger thread in the Revolver forum.)

I have a sw 686 snubby as my current EDC and have had Ruger security 6s too. Perfect for my druthers, but apparently bigger and heavier than what you want. In which case a j frame sw or ruger sp101 is the ticket. I had a Smith model 60 at one point, but couldn't shoot it well. But I generally can't shoot small or light guns well, and alas, the 60 was no exception. Many people love the 60 and can shoot it well. I also found the recoil unpleasant with +P. (And I normally shoot .357s or .44s.) I suggest starting with .38 sp wadcutters. I think you are right on track focusing on the Smith 60 and the SP 101. What would be ideal is if you had a chance to shoot one of each before deciding.

I don't do Charter or Taurus either.

@Vierings The last time(maybe early June) I was in J&B Firearms in Beaverton, they had the model 60 and the SP101 right next to each other in the case. Who knows, maybe you can go and handle them side by side. It is quite a hike from Tacoma.

Seeing as I only own the one SP101 and it counts as my "owning" a revolver token.

I vote SP101.

It's a tank.

902B7A0C-616B-410A-AB20-FAF6A2BF9576.jpeg
The 229 rides in a galco kingtuk and I love it.
Thanks!

Alright folks,
I'm looking at picking up my first revolver. And I'm not sure what is going to be my best option. I currently EDC a P229 and would like something smaller/lighter.

What I know I want
-.357 so I can ammo share with my lever gun
-Contrast sights if possible
-2" or so barrel
-New or used doesn't matter.
-Something I can conceal relatively easy. (6ft 190, average build)
-DA/SA would be nice, but not super important .
-I'd like to come in under $400 if possible.

Let me know your suggestions!
Just going through this thread and realize I never really contributed.
Under $400 for a .357 snubbie of any kind of quality is going to put you in the used gun market and at that point, you better know what you're looking at, when considering a purchase, or you might as well just toss your $$$ out the window (and in my direction, would be nice ;) ).
That aside, I would say look at a Ruger SP101 or a Smith Model 60.
Both are well known for their high degree of QC, reliability and accuracy.
The Smith is a tad smaller than the Ruger and both are 5 shooters.

Dean

Well I've started shopping for real, upped my budget, its now somewhat open. I'm trying to find a range that has a few of the options.

I think I am going back and forth between a model 60 and an sp101. The smith feels smoother at the counter, and a bit lighter. The Ruger seems more heavily recommended.

I can buy a new model 60 for about $620, havent found many used yet.
I can get a new Sp101 for about $530 and have found a used around $450.

Got my hands on a charter as well as a taurus and wasnt sold on the trigger/action feel while dry firing.

Any updates / purchase yet, or still shopping / looking? :D

Any updates / purchase yet, or still shopping / looking? :D

Still looking for the right one. One of my LGS is keeping an eye out, they used to be one of my delivery customers and take good care of me. I also am mid purchase of some land. So fun money is a bit light. I am going to go with a Model 60 or SP101 at this point. Just have not had time to shoot them.

Still looking for the right one. One of my LGS is keeping an eye out, they used to be one of my delivery customers and take good care of me. I also am mid purchase of some land. So fun money is a bit light. I am going to go with a Model 60 or SP101 at this point. Just have not had time to shoot them.
Good to hear this is coming down to a final resolution.
Please let us know your impressions of each gun, if you find a couple of examples to try out (someone here doesn't live near this guy, who has one or both of these guns for him to try out?) and let us know what you end up with.

(now watch, he ends up with a 6" Python in perfect shape for $200, when a friend pops up one day and sez, "wanna gun?" :rolleyes: ;) )

Please let us know your impressions of each gun, if you find a couple of examples to try out (someone here doesn't live near this guy, who has one or both of these guns for him to try out?) and let us know what you end up with.

(now watch, he ends up with a 6" Python in perfect shape for $200, when a friend pops up one day and sez, "wanna gun?" :rolleyes: ;) )

Nice!! Wouldn't that be a hoot, and a GREAT FIND! :cool:

If only I were to be so lucky. Cause then someone here would be lucky. It would be a prime trade piece. I dont buy guns to collect them.

I was thinking, while writing that post, ...and he'd use it as trade fodder for something he really wants.
I don't think you'd have a problem trading a 6" Python for most any snubbie.

I was thinking, while writing that post, ...and he'd use it as trade fodder for something he really wants.
I don't think you'd have a problem trading a 6" Python for most any snubbie.

I would. I could probably trade it for both snubbies. As well as holsters.
But yes, if it has no purpose to me, its available.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top