JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Little update for everyone following this who's input has been much appreciated. I'm 90% sure I'm going to pick up an SP101 in the coming days. I found a used one for a decent price.
However, this morning I came across a used stainless taurus 605 at a LGS for $200. Minimal wear.
Going to spend some time researching them and will report back.

I'm gonna stick my nose in here and recommend the S&W Airweights in .357 or even .45 ACP, still on the hunt for just the right one, likely a .44, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them. I don't normally carry a wheel gun concealed, so for me size and weight isnt as important, but I still want to add an Airweight to my options!:)

Decided that unless something at a better deal comes up in the mean time, I will be buying the used SP101 2.25" next week (when the buyer is able to meet). Now I need your suggestions.
My P229 rides in a Galco Kingtuk at about 4 o'clock. Looking for something IWB with or without active retention. As well as something tuckable. What are your favorite holsters for them?
Speed loader suggestions? Speed loader carrier?
I have the Federal Barnes expanders 140 gr that ride with my .357 lever gun, how likely is this to be a suitable round for defense in the woods or on the street? I am fine with changing the round. But if its avoidable, great.
Contrast sights? Just paint the blade? Or something else?

so the performance data should comparable to whatever terminal ballistics you are seeking by reading the mfg chart; 140 gr expandable in that SP101 seems like a good choice in general.

Robust field revolvers tend to shine more the simpler they are IMHO.
If your front sight/retinas work well together you won't need more complexity. Sometimes a little paint works for a while, and the farther away your POA gets the more precise the sight picture needs to be. I don't think target fiber optic sights are especially needed on a field revolver. Night glow sights, maybe help. All my own opinion worth price of admission. There's ample sources to give you reason to make any choice you want. What works best for you/your weapon is the goal.

Decided that unless something at a better deal comes up in the mean time, I will be buying the used SP101 2.25" next week (when the buyer is able to meet).
Congrats in advance!
I'm sure you won't be sorry. Out of curiosity, what was it about the Taurus that you found wanting?
Vierings said:
I have the Federal Barnes expanders 140 gr that ride with my .357 lever gun, how likely is this to be a suitable round for defense in the woods or on the street? I am fine with changing the round. But if its avoidable, great.
From what I've heard, snubbie's and hollow points rarely get along. I'd test a few rounds into some kind of medium and check for expansion.

Dean

Congrats in advance!
I'm sure you won't be sorry. Out of curiosity, what was it about the Taurus that you found wanting?

From what I've heard, snubbie's and hollow points rarely get along. I'd test a few rounds into some kind of medium and check for expansion.

Dean

The Taurus didnt feel as good in the hand. I shot a range SP101 (read well broken in) and it was super smooth. The Taurus was almost as smooth but the grip too short.

I just handled a 3"? SP101 today; while pleasing in every 'revolver guy' way & thus appeals very much to my own use, unsure whether I want to limit myself to only '5 misses in a row'....;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top