JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright folks,
I'm looking at picking up my first revolver. And I'm not sure what is going to be my best option. I currently EDC a P229 and would like something smaller/lighter.

What I know I want
-.357 so I can ammo share with my lever gun
-Contrast sights if possible
-2" or so barrel
-New or used doesn't matter.
-Something I can conceal relatively easy. (6ft 190, average build)
-DA/SA would be nice, but not super important .
-I'd like to come in under $400 if possible.

Let me know your suggestions!

$400. will get you a new S&W .357 J frame if you watch for sales.
(I personally won't own one with a lawyer lock.)

The Ruger LCR is a great carry but the .357's run more than the Smith's.
The SP101's another good one but more expensive than the LCR.
Those are all five round capacity so they hide pretty well.

But, there are some excellent older Smith snubbies out there with six round cylinders and if you want a shooter, that's what I'd suggest. Even used they're better quality than most revolvers that are out there right now.

Dan Wesson also made some 6rd. snubbies back in the day, but not too many and I'd imagine they'd weigh more than the Smith's.

Anyway I hope this helps a bit.

I will 3rd the SP101, I just ordered a holster for my SP101 and it is going to be my new EDC over my M&P 45 compact that I have carried for several years.

It is the Talo Edition, pretty damn cool gun! E56E637F-2797-4D29-9704-8C80A4314F7F.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I have some research (and hopefully range time) in front of me. I appreciate having a starting point.

The Taurus 605 hits all those points. I've had one since 2005, have shot and carried it a lot, and have found it a very nice snubbie, particularly for what the sell for. :)

You can get new S&W J frames without the lock on them. I got my wife a 442 (.38 +P) without one a couple years ago. I think the J frames are the only S&W revolvers you can get new without the locks .... unfortunately.

I also have a LCR (.357) and SP101 3" barrel. LCR is lighter, and it points well for me and conceals well. The SP101 is heavier and I have the Hogue mono-grip on it which really makes it fit my hand very well.
My wife loves her SP101 with the 2 1/4" barrel, in fact she "stole" it from me, that's why I have a 3" barrel SP101 and an LCR. :D

Well I've started shopping for real, upped my budget, its now somewhat open. I'm trying to find a range that has a few of the options.

I think I am going back and forth between a model 60 and an sp101. The smith feels smoother at the counter, and a bit lighter. The Ruger seems more heavily recommended.

I can buy a new model 60 for about $620, havent found many used yet.
I can get a new Sp101 for about $530 and have found a used around $450.

Got my hands on a charter as well as a taurus and wasnt sold on the trigger/action feel while dry firing.

Well I've started shopping for real, upped my budget, its now somewhat open. I'm trying to find a range that has a few of the options.

I think I am going back and forth between a model 60 and an sp101. The smith feels smoother at the counter, and a bit lighter. The Ruger seems more heavily recommended.

I can buy a new model 60 for about $620, havent found many used yet.
I can get a new Sp101 for about $530 and have found a used around $450.

Got my hands on a charter as well as a taurus and wasnt sold on the trigger/action feel while dry firing.
I owned a Charter Arms Bulldog .44sp. On the third shot the hammer and several other parts fell off. A Charter 22 Pathfinder I bought at the same time was also a POS, but at least it didn't spontaneously fall apart. This was decades ago. On page 2 in the General Firearm Discussion forum is a thread "Just for fun: worst gun you ever owned?" This sort of thread should be fun and useful at this point. Charter regularly makes such worst ever lists. Taurus does too, but it is apparently a quality control, with some being good for the price and others being POSs. You are right that the triggers of these are generally heavy and rough compared with a SW or ruger. Generally the SW will have a lighter smoother trigger than the 101. But it varies from gun to gun, especially with used guns. I think preference for the SW 60 versus Ruger SP 101 is pretty closely divided among experienced revolver afficianados. (See the S&W vs Ruger thread in the Revolver forum.)

I have a sw 686 snubby as my current EDC and have had Ruger security 6s too. Perfect for my druthers, but apparently bigger and heavier than what you want. In which case a j frame sw or ruger sp101 is the ticket. I had a Smith model 60 at one point, but couldn't shoot it well. But I generally can't shoot small or light guns well, and alas, the 60 was no exception. Many people love the 60 and can shoot it well. I also found the recoil unpleasant with +P. (And I normally shoot .357s or .44s.) I suggest starting with .38 sp wadcutters. I think you are right on track focusing on the Smith 60 and the SP 101. What would be ideal is if you had a chance to shoot one of each before deciding.

Last Edited:
While I wholeheartedly believe that. I do think I want a j frame or similar size

My S&W Model 60 J-frame trigger was horrible out of the box. Double-action trigger pull was off the scale of my Lyman trigger pull gauge and with the serrated trigger it was literally painful to pull the trigger. I replaced the trigger and hammer and did a trigger job to make it usable and I do carry it but I still don't like the feel of the J-frame's coil mainspring double-action trigger pull. It doesn't come close to the smoothness of the S&W K, L, and N-frame leaf spring double action trigger pull.

One of the best carry revolvers if you are willing to stick with .38 Special is the Colt Detective Special.

t6xl7oF.jpg

Just slightly larger than a J-frame but with 6 rounds instead of 5 and a nicer trigger pull.

N0Rp8ye.jpg

EDIT: While the Colt Detective Special is out of production Colt has introduced a modernized version of it, the Colt Cobra. 6 rounds of .38 Special +P.
Colt's Manufacturing LLC

If your budget was larger I would recommend the Kimber K6s. .357 and 6 rounds.
https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-stainless-ns

Last Edited:
The SW model 60 J frame I had had a nice trigger. But that was more than a decade ago. It had the firing pin on the hammer. Maybe they vary and/or maybe the older ones are better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top