Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for Good Target resources BLM.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DuneHopper, Sep 23, 2015.

1. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

We have two places we go in my area in the BLM, why I have lived here along time people are peculiar about sharing their favorite target shooting spots out in BLM, I posted on here a few months ago and got no response so thought ok maybe I will just got pop around BLM in the 4x and try and find some good spots.
    Which brings me to the question what is a good BLM resource to try and find good shooting spots.
    I have tried asking hunting groups as well and no help either.

If anyone is wondering we have property to shoot on and BLM is less then a mile away. But its also a very common places for off road use and was looking for something with not so much foot traffic. I am in Douglas County so trying to think of a good starting point to look around or find good clear BLM maps or maybe even places people know of.

Thanks

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Shooting spots are a lot like hunting spots.
    The less who know the better. Plus some don't have good manners at these spots and some just shouldn't have guns!
    So you kinda need to get to know folks real well before they give up their favorite spots.
    And I doubt the BLM even wants you to have guns, so good luck with any government agency on shooting areas

3. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I get on google maps . Find BLM land and switch the view to satellite. You can see the open areas etc that might be good for shootin. Get directions or GPS data, print out the map and go look around in the truck. Of course take some garbage bags with ya.:D

A mouse is faster than a pickup.

balaperdida, DuneHopper and mjbskwim like this.
  4. DuneHopper

Absolutely we have a rule, we take away more then we came with :)
    Thanks guys, I have lived here over 20 year and know allot of people but dang people are as you said tight lipped.

edslhead likes this.
  5. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

6. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

7. rick benjamin

8. DuneHopper

Thanks great resources :)

9. DuneHopper

Still looking havnt really found much in the way of BLM access. In Douglas County anyone have any good practice shooting areas. You can PM too so not to publicize it >?

10. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

check out www.hillmap.com

you can switch between google maps, usgs topo maps and satellite/aireal vews

11. DuneHopper

Sweet .......this was what I was looking for it shows county and blm roads perfect.
    Thank You Koda exactly what I needed . I knew some areas but this gives me other areas I didnt know about.

:s0004::s0115:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Koda likes this.
  12. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks Koda.

DuneHopper and Koda like this.
  13. Koda

the cal-topo layers are what I use most, they will show all the blm roads. they use USGS maps as their base

hillmap has a cool layer feature, you can overlay satellite imagery over the map layer and adjust its transparency. this lets you see where all the clearcuts are in relation to the roads, terrain etc.

printing from hillmap is glitchy, I always print a screenshot...

have fun

DuneHopper likes this.
  14. DuneHopper

Thanks for the tips, I already marked a couple that oddly just a few jumps from my normal spots. :) Later in the week will go 4x up and check it out .

Koda likes this.
  15. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I would try asking the local forestry service, but with all the wildfires they may not like the idea. Best thing I would suggest is look at your area and google maps and look at the topograpic maps.
    Always a good idea to have a back stop in utv, dirtbike areas.

DuneHopper likes this.
  16. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

Awesome link, thanks!

17. Koda

here is an example of layering maps over each other, I selected Satellite view as the base map then selected Caltopo USGS topo map as the layer with .5 opacity...

What we need to safely target shoot is an open space (such as a clear-cut) and a backstop (uphill topography).

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQisTrCAw

Dunehopper this is in Douglas co. near the S. Umpqua river. It looks like this spot is on National Forest lands but IDK... at the end of a 4wd road is marker 2817x, im not saying its safe to shoot there but sharing an example...

(PS there are occasionally bugs in Hillmap and sometimes links to maps with layers dont always work correctly...)