JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just have a VEPR that I'm looking to have the barrel removed and threaded. Not rocket science but I want someone working on it who does quality work. I'm very nitpicky and don't mind paying for quality work.

Just have a VEPR that I'm looking to have the barrel removed and threaded. Not rocket science but I want someone working on it who does quality work. I'm very nitpicky and don't mind paying for quality work.
You don't remove the barrel to do this on an AK. Removing the barrel of an AK is nothing like an AR. You can do this yourself with a tap and tap aligner tool.
Thirtycal

I think the VEPR barrel is larger diameter than a standard AK barrel, so to thread it requires machining. And I am very concerned about the threading being bore-centric. So I would rather have an expert do it.

I have seen at least one of the barrel threading companies out there say the following:

Be sure to remove the barrel from the trunion and move back the gas block or front sight. We will not thread an AK barrel with the trunion installed as it will not fit into our lathe.

This is a relatively expensive gun and I want it done right.

Its really actually quite easy to remove the barrel.......I would pull the barrel and FSB(if you want the threads to run up to the FSB) and take the barrel and what ever your threading on to the barrel to a good machinist.

I am not a "gun smith" per say, but I am a machinist/welder that builds guns. ANY competent machinist can cut these threads for you........if you can remove the barrel.

Thanks, I think I will deal with Tornado. I've had other threading done by them, but was hoping to find someone closer.

As an aside, this thread is a great example of why I was looking for an experienced AK gunsmith. Lots of different opinions out there on how to do the same job. I've already had one threading job screwed up by a professional machinist gunsmith, and I'm looking to avoid that.

Tornado is not working on AK's and doesn't want to do this job. And Rifle Dynamics said the same thing; they're too busy for "little" jobs like this.

It's getting hard to give away money to competent businesses these days...

Just wanted to report back and say that Eric at Blackwell was great to work with and did a very nice job. Not sure he wants to touch another VEPR again but I'll definitely use his services again in the future.

Thanks for the help in finding him!

For future reference check out Dinzag arms, they sell all the tools needed to get a threading job done and there is some satisfaction in doing the work yourself.

I am looking into getting my Mak90 barrel threaded for a comp.
What was your turnaround time for Blackwell to do your work?

Mic it first, some had the threads turned down and you'll have to go 1/2-28 ( there are AK slant comps in that thread ). Some Maks just had a plain thread protector tack welded to the front sight base, 5 minutes of file work and you'll have threads.

For future reference check out Dinzag arms, they sell all the tools needed to get a threading job done and there is some satisfaction in doing the work yourself.

I have seen a couple places that sell the equipment, but for a one time use its kinda steep.
DOes anyone on this forum have a 1/2"-28 to loan or rent? What about these "build parties"? Never been to one, so not too familiar.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top