JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As most of us are on a tight budget. I think I am going to look for an entry level AK. I do have a 9mm sub 2000 but my coworker says that's a novelty gun. :s0114: I have to agree with him some what. So far my g26 as my carry and the kel-tec are the only ones in my stash. So What I would like is a solid AK I think in 7.62 x 39. I am open for options and opinions. So suggest away and if you could include the reason for that choice that would be great. :s0155:

Reasons? on this site? we only provide opinions here!

The Saiga's that are available for $300 are a great entry point. You can then build it to a high-cap, pistol grip when you have the funds (another $100+). The WASR's are also a great entry-level choice. People complain about the finish but I don't think they are any worse than the Saiga's. Reliability does not seem to be an issue with either gun. And you will not lose money on either if you decide to upgrade later (unless you spend a bunch in black tacticool stuff -or paint it). If you like the wood - don't be afraid of the WASR. If you like black and don't mind doing a bit of gunsmithing yourself - the Saiga.

I've always looked at wasr 10s as entry level ak's. Fit and finish isn't the greatest but it's one of the cheapest ak's out there and they function great. If you find a used wasr for more than $450 then pass on it. No matter what people ad to their wasr, it's still a wasr that you can buy new for around $450.

The WASR-10 has more than exceeded my expectations. I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, but then my buddy got one and it worked flawlessly, so I decided to get one too. I don't have any FTF, mag wobble, or any of that. The Tapco trigger group is awesome. It groups really well at 50 yards. Not so much at 100 yards, but still good for field grade.

One thing, there is a flimsy shepherd's hook which retains the pins in the receiver, this was improperly installed. I replaced it with a retaining plate from Midway $10, which firmed up the action nicely. It's a highly simple improvement. I also refinished the furniture w/ Minwax and put a coat of clear polyurethane on. You'll have to go through it and clean up some excess cosmoline too, no big deal really.

I agree with 22many, you should not overpay for the WASR-10. Try to stay right around $450. My FFL was selling them for $499, and I offered $450. Walked out the door w/ gun, bayonet, 2 mags, ammo pouch, etc.

What ever you choose you might want to make sure you can check it out in person. If you buy online it is possible you could end up with an Ak that has canted sights. It can even happen with Saigas. A gun with canted sights will still shoot straight, but cosmetically it won't look as nice.

Reasons? on this site? we only provide opinions here!

The Saiga's that are available for $300 are a great entry point. You can then build it to a high-cap, pistol grip when you have the funds (another $100+). The WASR's are also a great entry-level choice. People complain about the finish but I don't think they are any worse than the Saiga's. Reliability does not seem to be an issue with either gun. And you will not lose money on either if you decide to upgrade later (unless you spend a bunch in black tacticool stuff -or paint it). If you like the wood - don't be afraid of the WASR. If you like black and don't mind doing a bit of gunsmithing yourself - the Saiga.

Yeah a buddy got one I want to try it out. Though the Saiga was on sale for $299 and free shipping. I also thought about building one from a kit but my skills are not there unless someone says anyone could do one. :)

Another option that I hadn't seen available in a while is the vz58/vz2008. I have a folding stock version that I really like. I was going to sell it (needed the cash) but just couldn't. But now I see Bud's has the fixed stock version for $380 w/ free shipping.

CIA RI1606X VS2008 7.62X39 BW/SYN $376.00 SHIPS FREE

A milled receiver, but weighs less than most stamped AK's. It is a Century import, but mine is very nice.

I would suggest that you get a Saiga because generally you are getting a brand new unfired rifle, and it is also a russian made rifle. They are affordable and yeah you have to convert them but that is not hard and very worth it.

*checks again* OH. there's ONLY one model left thats in stock, the 7.62x39 sporter version.. I didnt see it on the first page, only the second page O.O hmm this is something to consider. the local shops are all selling them for like $389-450 for the rifles, depending on caliber and accessories. and this doesn't include the converted Saigas.... (for that money i'd just get a WASR10 or a Norinco lol)

Another option that I hadn't seen available in a while is the vz58/vz2008. I have a folding stock version that I really like. I was going to sell it (needed the cash) but just couldn't. But now I see Bud's has the fixed stock version for $380 w/ free shipping.

CIA RI1606X VS2008 7.62X39 BW/SYN $376.00 SHIPS FREE

A milled receiver, but weighs less than most stamped AK's. It is a Century import, but mine is very nice.

Better look again. It's good at that price if it's cash. Visa, master card, ect, ect does not get the discount.

Regardless, even without the cash discount it's still a good deal. I remember reading a couple month ago about a certain member having problems with his vz58. Said it was a hunk of crap. Can't remember which member it was......

I second the Saiga suggestion. Even if it's $400-$450 you are getting the real deal from the company that has (and still does) make them for the russian military. Knock off the Klinton plate and you'll see a real AK-47 revealed (minus the 3rd hole of course).

I also thought about building one from a kit but my skills are not there unless someone says anyone could do one.
And yes, anyone could do one (referring to converting a saiga, havent built an AK from a surplus kit yet). I was worried about it myself but took the plunge and it was very easy. If you've got a dremel (or a hand file and some patience) , a drill, and a flathead screwdriver you're set.

*checks again* OH. there's ONLY one model left thats in stock, the 7.62x39 sporter version.. I didnt see it on the first page, only the second page O.O hmm this is something to consider. the local shops are all selling them for like $389-450 for the rifles, depending on caliber and accessories. and this doesn't include the converted Saigas.... (for that money i'd just get a WASR10 or a Norinco lol)
Where can you get a Norinco for around $450? I would love one.

may have been a while, but I recall a Norinco stamped AK variant with the thumbhole stock and no muzzle brake, (Cali legal maybe?)for $450ish in one of the shops, it had a 10rd magazine ; it was most definitely NOT a SKS....

I second the Saiga suggestion. Even if it's $400-$450 you are getting the real deal from the company that has (and still does) make them for the russian military. Knock off the Klinton plate and you'll see a real AK-47 revealed (minus the 3rd hole of course).

And yes, anyone could do one (referring to converting a saiga, havent built an AK from a surplus kit yet). I was worried about it myself but took the plunge and it was very easy. If you've got a dremel (or a hand file and some patience) , a drill, and a flathead screwdriver you're set.

Is there an online build guide? I have looked but have not found any.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top