Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking For Brass Rod

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by RedneckRampage, Dec 15, 2013.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I am looking for a small piece of brass rod to make a sight out of. I have a Remington 1100 that I cut a spare barrel down for, to 18.75". Everywhere I checked wanted $75+ to drill and tap and install a brass bead on the rib, so I bought an Allen brand snap on fiber optic sight from Walmart. It works well, but I think a brass rod replacing the fiber optic rod would look much nicer. The fiber optic is about 1/8" diameter, maybe 3/32". I would need about 2", and I'll measure diameter exactly with calipers. Anybody have an idea where I can buy something like that?

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

look at welding shops or welding supply shops. They have brazing rod in 1/8" but places like airgas will only sell an entire pack of the stuff for about $15 iirc.

3. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Ace Hardware carries brass rod in 1/8". You can buy a single piece.

Garg and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

5. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Parkrose Hardware might have it also.

Welding shops as stated before.

Last resort Alaskan Copper and Brass they might be a little spendy but?

6. RedneckRampage

Thanks, I'll start there.

7. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

For a short piece like that go to online metals. Alaskan will rape you on a short piece unless they have a drop somewhere... Even then it will be expensive.

Drill it in a drill press or preferably a mill. Start with a center drill, then drill a hole under the diameter of the rod and ream it or if you don't have a reamer drill with a drill the size of the rod. That should give you a good hole, a little red loctite and push the brass in. A machine shop shouldn't charge you more than an hour of manual shop time to do it.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Tacoma Screw if they are local

9. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I have some brass brazing rod. If I have the right size it's no big deal to toss some in the mail. send a size and I'll see what I have.

10. RedneckRampage

I'll measure it tomorrow! There will be now machining required, the fiber optic rods snap into a little metal holder, that then snaps onto the rib of the barrel. Tacoma screw is right down the road, even have an account at work!

11. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

Buy a small brass screw or scavenge one from your junk drawer.

Sheldon

12. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

.12255 is the diameter of what I've got, a lifetime supply of shotgun beads probably cost under a buck to send.