Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for Black Tail advice

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Michael150, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Michael150

Michael150 New Member

I live in newberg was going to head up above carlton to hunt for the first time and was looking for advice I will be hunting during the week so if anyone want to give up some areas to look I wouldn't complain;) Am willing to travel a little if anyone has better areas but Im just a young guy trying to get started

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Carlton area should be a good place to start. Sorry I don't have any "hot spots" to send you to.
    Take your time. Get away from the roads. Once you are, look more than you move

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. Michael150

Michael150 New Member

I was gonna start up near McGuire reservoir I went up there exploring with with a friend but nothing hunting related
    now if the the areas

4. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Find a area with lots of traffic regards to prints. Hang off the trail about 50 yards. Pack food and a video game. Stay there all day.

5. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

82nd Ave

6. prkrgrp

prkrgrp oregon Active Member

:)pray for more rain.
    find clear cuts 3 or more years old, set up high, will need good optics, some food and water, scan the edges of the clear cut early and late, during the day after opening morning, slowly section by section watch the clear cut with optics look for ears, any movement, tips of a horn,ect. these bucks will move into these older clear cut areas to avoid the madness.
    good luck

orygun likes this.
  7. Paulyester

Paulyester United States New Member

I'm new to hunting in general and my question is generally the same as the OP.

If I find a trail that has sign on it, should I follow it, try to find where they are bedding etc? Or just sit off the trail and wait for them to wander by?

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try to find an old homestead or any old fruit tree orchards that are close to public lands.
    Deer will move out of cover at dusk to forage fruit.

9. Oregonhunter5

This.
    Most folks hunt to high in elevation. Hang out near private ground.

10. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

This is a question I've got as well.

Went out scouting with a buddy this past weekend and found a location that had a couple VERY clear trails, some smaller trails, a rut line, lots of fresh scat from elk to dear to a single bear scat along with fresh tracks.

Now I'm curious how I'm to handle this. My thoughts are hole up on a rise about 40 yards away from the largest, most well worn trail and sit back.

11. Oregonhunter5

Make it 100 yards if possible.

12. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Depends on which way the wind is moving. Being downwind is important.

WAYNO, salmonriverjohn and Joe13 like this.
  13. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is true, but I've never been able to go for a couple of hours without the wind direction changing if it's not storming.
    Very important, but not easy to do.

WAYNO and salmonriverjohn like this.
  14. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

First off, I live and hunt the areas just west of you, and if I were to pinpoint a spot for you, my arse wouldn't be worth a plug nickle down here among my friends! Google earth is your friend here, along with a good GPS, maps and compass.

BE PREPAIRED for any weather in the coast range, have a well stocked day pack on you with everything you need to survive a couple of days, you don't want to be a statistic Michael.

Be respectful of private property and the owners, most of the area you will be in is owned by private timber holdings, of which most are open and some are not. Most that are not are posted as such.
    Hancock timber, (regional office) (503) 838-1610, owns a big chunk of the area up there and most should be open (weather permitting) unless there are active logging operations going on.

On to the hunt. Use your binoculars to glass everything from just inside the timber, don't expose yourself to a skyline or cut if possible. Glass slow, way slow, pick everything apart. Do Not use your scope to glass, it's just for killing period.

_
    A deer's ears and nose are his best defence, think wind.
    The early rut in the last two weeks will help, with the last week being the most productive. Early morning and late evening are the hours when most two legged predators are out and about and it doesn't take long for deer to figure this out.
    _
    Mid day from 10 am until 2pm are excellent times to be still hunting. Deer are active more than most would believe during this time frame, and its odd that most folks are back in camp or home during these hours.

When its raining, be out there, rain drives down the scent and also quites thing up a bunch, most folks wont be, and the deer don't mind unless its really hammering.
    _
    During the mid mornings when the air warms and rises, hunt down hill if possible, or side hill. In the evenings when the draft changes, hunt up as it cools and starts to fall.
    _
    Its not just the deer your looking for, it's that leg, ear, nose, eye or antler tip that will turn into what your looking for. Again, not enough can be said about using your binoculars.
    _
    A good mature buck will almost invariably bed in an area where he can see down hill, escape quickly over a small ridge. Look for these to be bedded just below the edge of draws or small tops.
    _
    Above all, enjoy yourself. Relax, don't be tempted to rush as thats when you'll bump a good buck over the ridge with nothing but a fleeting glimps as he goes,,, white butts drive me nuts! Be safe and remember that a hunt doesn't have to culminate in a dead animal to be successful.

Good luck to you Michael, I hope some of this helps, let us know how you do.
    John.

15. Oregonhunter5

Most bucks don't get up to eat till about 2am.
    That's until the last 5 days of the season.
    Then all bets are off..

16. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

He didn't ask about "Cougars" ogre!

17. blitz

blitz beaverton Active Member 2015 Volunteer

hunted this area a few years ago (a few miles from the reservoir) . seen alot of deer and elk but nothing with horns. all we managed to bring home was a porcupine.
    we ended up finding a spot about 10 miles off the nestucca river highway and have harvested 3 deer the past 2 years.
    spent alot of time researching maps online to find locations we wanted to hit and in the end it paid off well. do your research and foot work and it should pay off in the end. maybe not this year but next.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  18. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Blacktail are among the most difficult game animals to hunt. They can be crazy stealthy and they'll will let you walk right by them if you don't see them (which is EASY to do).

I bagged a forked horn blackie last year just 1.5 hours into opening day. Me and my son were stalking down an old logging road 1-2 steps at a time about every 10 seconds. I was in the lead and my son (not packing a gun) was about 6-8' behind me when he saw the buck to our right. The reason I didn't see it was because I was looking to the left as I passed the spot he was on, it's that easy to miss seeing them.

Anyway, it was one shot, one kill that day. Regretfully I have not been able to hunt or fish a single time this year as I've sunk every extra available penny and spare moment into remodeling and adding three bedrooms and another full bathroom to my house.

Next year, the fish and deer will FEAR ME!

DeanMk and salmonriverjohn like this.
  19. happypuppy

happypuppy N. Puget Sound Member

They like to hangout just below ridge lines. Before dark they seldom are in open fields. They will be around 50 yards off of them and will watch the Does. Not a stupid deer.

20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wear your raincoat!

coyote223 and salmonriverjohn like this.