JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd love to own a Sig 716, Ruger SR-762, or other .308 semi-auto rifle, but getting one into Kommiefornia is such a total PITA right now I'm looking at alternatives- namely building it from parts. I'm not looking for a match rifle with a heavy barrel, but a functional field rifle that can carried/slung and will practical in a SHTF scenario. I'm looking for suggestions on what lowers/uppers, barrels to use, or even ready to shoot rifles. Any suggestions?

Geno

Consider the DPMS GII pattern as it's barely larger and heavier than a full size pattern. If you like pistons Adams AR308's all use that pattern as well.

In a large/"standard" pattern 308 the M&P 10 is reliable, accurate, and light weight.

If I was planning to build I'd look hard at Aero Precision uppers and lowers and get the soon to be illegal parts first - probably a pair of lowers.

Consider the DPMS GII pattern as it's barely larger and heavier than a full size pattern. If you like pistons Adams AR308's all use that pattern as well.

In a large/"standard" pattern 308 the M&P 10 is reliable, accurate, and light weight.

If I was planning to build I'd look hard at Aero Precision uppers and lowers and get the soon to be illegal parts first - probably a pair of lowers.

I have the M&P 10 (LEO version). It is light weight, very accurate and surprisingly less recoil than you would expect.

i am loading for a fal l1a1 and a m1a and i have found that 41 5 grs. behind a hornady 150gr. fmj in a lake city case works pretty good
The biggest problem was setting the height on the shoulder and yet sizing the case down enough to prevent sticky extraction. I highly recommend small base dies for this reason.

You chose a bad time to start a 308 AR platform unfortunately. Almost everything is backordered or out of stock right now, with most manufacturers gearing up their complete rifles for sale with the election and shot show coming up.

Parts wise, if available aero precision is a good reasonably priced manufacturer. I would personally build a DPMS pattern rifle because of parts availability. Upper/Lower/Barrel/BCG/Rail are the parts you will need to match together either DPMS or armalite patterns

Somehow DPMS of all folks did a fantastic job on the new G2 line they produce. Extremely functional, well designed and affordable.

Be wary of the "AR 10" parts compatibilities between brands, especially the armalite b series and Noveske n6 platforms, they are much more difficult to find the matching components for.

Last Edited:
You mentioned a carried/slung rifle for shtf purposes. Have you considered picking up a FAL? Between my m1a, FAL, HK, and ar10's my FAL para is easily the lightest and most packable IMO (maybe not as accurate but plenty good out to 500 on iron sights). It is also one of the most battle proven rifles in the existence of mankind.

Plus it is known as "the right hand of the free world". Which is pretty bad a** :)

When you can get them Aero Precision all the way. You will not regret it! I built mine and I love it.

Price is great too!

One thing I loved it they used an allen head screw in pin for the bolt catch and forward assist.

I went with a Faxon Arms 16" barrel with 5R rifling. Shoots great.

Since I am using this as a hunting rifle and I wanted to save the weight I opted for the 16"

Last Edited:
I do agree I picked a lousy time to look for a .308 rifle- supplies of ready-to-shoot rifles seem very low, and it seems like I missed the boat, at least for the time being- no doubt the Bushmaster XM-10 Magpul MOE edition sold out quick. But I have narrowed down my choices to either a DPMS G2 recon, a Bushmaster XM-10 ORC, or a Core-30 MOE. All of these seem reasonably priced for a .308, are in stock, and can accept AR-15 accessories.

Since most of these rifles are available with a CA bullet button, how hard would it be to obtain those parts? If it's the generic AR-15 style I would be set.

Geno

I do agree I picked a lousy time to look for a .308 rifle- supplies of ready-to-shoot rifles seem very low, and it seems like I missed the boat, at least for the time being- no doubt the Bushmaster XM-10 Magpul MOE edition sold out quick. But I have narrowed down my choices to either a DPMS G2 recon, a Bushmaster XM-10 ORC, or a Core-30 MOE. All of these seem reasonably priced for a .308, are in stock, and can accept AR-15 accessories.

Since most of these rifles are available with a CA bullet button, how hard would it be to obtain those parts? If it's the generic AR-15 style I would be set.

Geno

Personally I would go with the DPMS recon. (never thought I'd say that).

Link below for bullet button
Home

When you can get them Aero Precision all the way. You will not regret it! I built mine and I love it.

Price is great too!

One thing I loved it they used an allen head screw in pin for the bolt catch and forward assist.

I went with a Faxon Arms 16" barrel with 5R rifling. Shoots great.

Since I am using this as a hunting rifle and I wanted to save the weight I opted for the 16"

That's weird. I emailed faxon about their barrels and they told me they were 6 groove rifling.

Check out Curts for their 308 build rifles. If they still have any...

Curt's only has an omega combo right now going for $800 (upper, lower receiver and omega handguard) That's if it wasn't already sold out at the gun show.

Yeah, i'm looking for a upper and lower set myself. All out everywhere!

I did some research into .308 semi-auto rifles- it turns out Sig Sauer did make a CA compliant version of the 716 Patrol rifle, as did Ruger with the SR-762. Further homework revealed my choice to be good and not-so-good- of course Ruger fans (myself included) did stand behind the SR-762, but reports of jamming and seeing the Youtube videos eliminated that choice for me. The Sig 716 OTOH, has earned high marks and praise from most who shoot it, so it looks like that's my choice- reliable, gas piston operated, and a ready-to-shoot package make it hard to ignore. Of course the price is pretty steep for me, but with the elections coming and CA nazis possibly eliminating most AR platforms for sale in 2017, I have to act fast.

The Sig 716 Patrol CA model comes in black, black/OD, and FDE- of course you pay a premium for the FDE version too. At this point I'm just happy I can get a great .308 rifle and actually still buy it in Kommiefornia. The hunt begins- I have a few stores zeroed in, but if anyone knows a gun store that has the CA version for less than $2k, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Geno
1415.jpg

Geno

I know it said Ar types but I came across this add that may be something to consider.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: DSA FAL SA-58 Paratrooper .308 Battle Rifle - NEW

This has been floating around for about a month, not a bad price, dsa is about as good as it gets imho when it comes to new production FALs. Can add a pic rail up top for $100 is and have a nice super reliable semi auto setup, plus mags for fals are cheap and plentiful.

Under the new California gun laws that were past this year and signed by the Governor, I believe that you only have until Dec 31st of this year to be able to buy one of these rifles. And the rifle has to then be registered as an assault weapon with the state by January 1, 2018.

The new law effectively closed the so called "bullet button" loophole. So these so-called "California" rifles are going to be taken off the market very soon. You had best try to get one as quickly as possible.

In fact, I suspect that it may already be too late for you to find one.

Under the new California gun laws that were past this year and signed by the Governor, I believe that you only have until Dec 31st of this year to be able to buy one of these rifles. And the rifle has to then be registered as an assault weapon with the state by January 1, 2018.

The new law effectively closed the so called "bullet button" loophole. So these so-called "California" rifles are going to be taken off the market very soon. You had best try to get one as quickly as possible.

LOL. and yet another reason Commiefornia can just go ahead and join Mexico.o_O

I know it said Ar types but I came across this add that may be something to consider.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: DSA FAL SA-58 Paratrooper .308 Battle Rifle - NEW

This has been floating around for about a month, not a bad price, dsa is about as good as it gets imho when it comes to new production FALs. Can add a pic rail up top for $100 is and have a nice super reliable semi auto setup, plus mags for fals are cheap and plentiful.

That rifle is not legal in California.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top