JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon for me. I would grab my shotgun over my AR or handguns. With the narrow hallway in my office (where I spend 99% of my time) 00 buck wouldn't spread more than 5 inches.

jefe, if penetration is an issue, you could use something as light as #4 or #6 shot, and at close range - it's spread is the same as 00 Buck (making the same size hole....).

A little perspective, the furniture may be damaged and depending on what you chose maybe a wall and maybe a bullet that travels to another wall. But what you will contend with will be far more devastating than splintered wood. The fact you fired your weapon in self defense says that you just had to protect yourself and your family and now may mean you have a human being laying on your floor bleeding out or someone trying to get out of your residence spewing blood all over the place. This is by no means an attempt at laying any guilt trip on you for wanting to protect yourself and your loved ones, but is meant to show you that furniture damage will probably be way down on your list of concerns. And for all who say he got what he had coming and you wouldn't bat an eye over it, I call bull****.

But wouldn't a shotgun have the potential of causing more damage to the structural integrity of the house, than a handgun? I mean, if I were to "miss" wouldn't the shotgun blast would cause more damage to the house/furniture than a handgun?

I used to use a 12 gauge for home defense but then I noticed my furniture was damaged a lot so I switched.

[/
Originally Posted by jefe

But wouldn't a shotgun have the potential of causing more damage to the structural integrity of the house, than a handgun? I mean, if I were to "miss" wouldn't the shotgun blast would cause more damage to the house/furniture than a handgun?

I used to use a 12 gauge for home defense but then I noticed my furniture was damaged a lot so I switched. QUOTE]

I would rather damage MY furniture than some body's child because MY bullet exerted MY house and entered his.

Go with the shot gun...Less chance of wall penetration and you can always use bird shot.

picard-facepalm.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176

<broken link removed>

Know your state laws when owning a firearm. In oregon just because there is a thief walking out your door with your tv does not mean you can shoot him. Especially if he is unarmed.

greetings to all who replied. i've just now realized that i have yet to close this thread. about a week ago i acquired a cz-83. after i started this thread, and received recommendations, i was interested in acquiring a shotgun. however, my wife (who must be comfortable with my firearms) was hesitant about getting a shotgun. over many months of discussion prior to creating this post, she became comfortable with getting a handgun for home protection but she showed hesitation to my new plan for getting a shotgun. in other words, she became comfortable with the idea of a handgun because she had a long while to let the idea/potential sink in. truth be told, we live in a 2 bedroom house that is less than 1200 interior sqft. if she or i cannot properly aim and shoot an intruder in self-defense in such a small space then we shouldn't have any firearms in the first place.

at the moment, we're looking into firearm safety classes. i am more than grateful for the advice and support i received during my search for a home defense firearm.

thanks!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.