JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, all! I am located in Eugene, Oregon but I often visit the Portland/metro area so I would be willing to go to Vancouver or so too.

Completely new to the form I came here looking for any recommendations for an experienced competent gunsmith.

I just sent this message to David over at "SovietStocks" and I'll paste it here because it kind of summarizes the work I'm looking to get done

"Hey, David!

I was recommended your services in my search for someone to help me out with some work I am looking to get done on a couple AKs.

I have a clapped out 5.45 AK on a Circle 10 receiver that was originally built by Waffen Werks and needs redoing completely, rivets are loose, the rear trunnion is damn near falling out.

I also plan on getting one of these PSA AK-E rifles and chopping the barrel down and pin and welding a Surefire Muzzlebrakes on. Of course, I am not familiar with AKs and if you think this would be easier/cheaper to begin by just buying a parts kit or one of those M10 DIY kits and then moving forward with this custom build please let me know. I plan on using this Zenitco PT-1 stock I have on it so it needs a 4.5mm rear folding stock trunnion too. (Which is why I am planning on the PSA AK as it already comes with this trunnion installed and I'm unsure of how difficult it is to install such a trunnion on another rifle)

Please let me know if you think this is possible and if youre willing, what cost I may be looking at. Thank you!"

One thing I forgot to add was that I'm sure you cant just chop an AK and put a SFMB on there without maybe getting a KNS adjustable piston or somehow tune/make sure the rifle runs reliably but, not overgassed.

Anyone have any thoughts on my plans here? Thanks!

Sounds like the entire rifle needs dismantling and reassembly. If it were me (and has been many times) I'd buy a new NDS receiver and rebuild it correctly. With a new receiver you can build it in pistol length using a Krink gas piston and GB/FSB combo (if you can find them...probably Kvar)...then add a brace when done. My $0.02

Sounds like the entire rifle needs dismantling and reassembly. If it were me (and has been many times) I'd buy a new NDS receiver and rebuild it correctly. With a new receiver you can build it in pistol length using a Krink gas piston and GB/FSB combo (if you can find them...probably Kvar)...then add a brace when done. My $0.02
On my AR's that are pinned and welded, I had the barrel chopped at about 13.7" and pinned the SFMB. I assume the AK has probably a 16.1" or 16.2" barrel from factory. Do you think removing just a couple inches or so will really require me to get a krink gas piston?

Im not too familiar with AKs so I've got no idea how the rifle may behave differently from just shortening the barrel.

I had not considered this path but its got me thinking. Thanks for your suggestion! I I'll look into this

The only reason I mentioned the Krink gas piston is you can use it to determine your barrel length and gas block location. I used the combo Krink GB/FSB with the 4pc flash hider. I had to drill a new gas port to match the GB after the Romy bbl was cut down. I think the port ended up being 0.125" and it works fine.

As far as shortening your BBL a couple inches? Probably won't matter much for cycling and using the standard length gas piston, but you will have to reposition your FSB obviously.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top