JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been a member for awhile, but only bought sold items here, never posted here, so go easy on me if I ask stupid questions!! I looking for a semi long range rifle 500-1000 yds with enough foot lbs to get the job done for hunting, without paying an arm and leg. Looking at rems 700xcr tactical, sako A7, and a bit more spendy, cooper 56 excaliber. For the price seems to me the remmy might be the best to work with. I've got a Nightforce or Leupold I'll put on it. Looking for suggestions on bases and caliber also. My last two stock guns were weatherby accumarks in 300 and 30-378. Both did the job but I never really got he accuracy I was looking for. I sure the 338 Lapua would get the job done, but I think I would like something a little smaller/lighter. I'm thinking 300 or 300wsm. I know 308's are supper guns and many folks love what they can do, but they arent my personal preference. Any body out there have thoughts suggestions, ideas, or maybe a rig for sale.
Thanks for any input

What about a Remington 5R in 300 cal? I have the 308 version 20" barrel, and without going custom you aren't going to find a more accurate rifle. The barrel is not light though. My setup is around 12.5lbs with scope, bipod, rifle.

I'm thinking about 800ft lbs, and it looks like maybe about 700-800 yds is going to be the limit for the 300's with 168's or 180 grs. At least for larger game.

What about the good old 7mm Rem. Mag.? Hornadys 162 A-Max by Black Hills is claimed to deliver over a thousand foot pounds at just past 900 yds. There are lots of good high BC bullets in that caliber for plinking too.
It seems as though as great as the 300 Win Mag is it can be easily out done at distance by the 338 LM. It's crossed my mind to build a 338 LM plinker. Researching the price of reloading components snapped me back to reality.
I like to be able to go to the range and shoot fifty plus rounds. Big recoil and high component costs pretty much eliminate all of the three above mentioned cartrages for me as I don't hunt any more. If I did the 7 Mag would get a hard look.

I was looking at the 338 LM and was about to get one when I found a 338-378 cheap so I grabbed that. I was surprised on how little it kicked.

Ya I had a 378, good break and stock n pad make them comfortable to shoot. I've got a 62 caliber muzzle loader I shoot 705 gr bullets out of that whumps me worse than anything I've owned. I'm probably asking for too much. reasonalble price, good velocity/ft lbs that will reach out there accurately, and not weigh to much. I've never owned a 7 mag, but done considerable shooting with a 270 wea mag I put a pac nor barrel on. I like some of the weatherby calibers I've had, with reasonable accuracy, but its been hard to come by with the free bore they have. I may go with the 338LM, but hoping to find what I want in the 300 catagory. I've archery and muzzle hunted for the last 25 yrs, but still shoot a few bears with a rifle. Looking for one to reach out past 500 yds. I doubt I would shoot past 7-800 unless it was a cougar and I get something sighted in at that range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top