JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm looking into getting my hands on a short barreled shotgun with a pistol grip rather of a shoulder stock, but I'm a little iffy on exact NFA rules.

I understand that what I want will be classified as an Any Other Weapon, due to it not being made to fire from the shoulder, rather than a short barreled shotgun, which are. AOW only require a $5 tax stamp, versus the $200 for other class 2 firearms.

However, want about the tax stamp for making such a weapon? If I were to buy say, a stoeger coach shotgun, what exact process would I need to go through to legally be able to cut down the barrel and either switch out the stock for a pistol grip or cut that down as well?

Would it be easier/cheaper to just find a smith in the area to do the work for me?

also, if it would be easier to just have it made for me, I live in the portland metro area and don't drive(never need too out here), anyone have any recommendations for where to get the work done at?

If you buy an AOW its a $5 tax to transfer it to you. If you build an AOW its a $200 tax. You cant make an AOW from a shotgun that previously has been equipped with a shoulder stock. Has to be from a pistol gripped shotgun that has never had a stock or from a bare receiver.

I know, not what you wanted to hear.

So, I assume it would just be considered a short barreled shotgun rather an AOW if it has ever had a shoulder stock on it? Because I've seen places offer them with pistol grips, I believe paladinarmory offers it under the name "bearclaw", for example.

Right. If it had a stock originally it cannot be made into a AOW. Just into a SBS. If it starts from a bare receiver it can be an AOW, SBS or a regular shotgun.

I ordered mine from Capitol Armory in texas, It's a Mossberg 590A1 14". It came without any pistol grip of any kind, I put a Hogue "Tamer" on it. I call it the bit#h for a reason, not at all fun to shoot.

I'd recommend going the SBS route.

You could go the route of the 26 1/2" pistol grip with the long birds head (Raven I think, from shockwave Tech) there's a few companies out there selling them as non-NFA, built "other" firearms.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top