JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm doing a trade with a guy who has a AR-15. I'm new to this type of firearm, so looking for some input from more experienced people.

PSA lower, RK upper. All magpul MOE furniture. A3 flat top upper with rear BUIS and an M4 front sight post. Sightmark Z reflex sight. Vortex flash suppressor, Tapco single point sling plate, MOE picatinny section under the fore grip. Shoots .223 or 5.56. Was built last summer and has only been taken out 3 times with maybe a few hundred rounds put through it.

Now, pretty much all of this sounds like a different language to me, so I'm just quoting the information he sent me. I'm trying my best to educate myself more on AR-15's but there's so much to learn that it's (at times) overwhelming, so I'm calling out for help. What I would use this AR-15 for? I'm a new prepper/weekend shooter (if that). Would love adding more things to it later down the road but for now, I'd just like to know if the upper/lower are a good setup and you would value this specific AR-15 at from a private sale? Any feedback would be great.

What I would use this AR-15 for ???? Not to sound rude but why do you want the AR if you don't know what you would use this AR for? The value would be less that what the cost to build the rifle would be.A year ago morons would pay way over the value of the rifle . these days prices are close to back to where they should be. What is a RK upper? Have you looked at the Palmetto state armory? Do you what makes a quality AR VS a low end AR There is a difference. I would save up and buy a BCM 'Bravo Company Manufacturing" AR of your choice and you will never look back and will sleep at night knowing you have the best quality at any price point. Start on reading these threads. There is no shortage of AR so take your time and decide. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7009-AR-Technical-Discussion-FAQ-Knowledge-Base-Threads

Last Edited:
Cookie, you misunderstood me but I can see why you are confused, so allow me to explain myself.

"What I would use this AR-15 for? I'm a new prepper/weekend shooter (if that)" I'm asking a question, then answering my own question so that you are aware of my needs for this particular firearm. Letting you know what I would use the AR-15 for, helps you understand my intentions and if the particular setup will accommodate my needs or not. If I was a competition shooter then something like this setup would not be good but I am not a competition shooter, there for I do not need anything that's top of the line (though it would be nice).

I do not know much about AR-15's, so I am not aware of what makes a quality AR vs. a low quality AR. Things like that are why I'm reaching out because I'm completely lost after doing the research I have done. As I said, the things this guy listed sounds like a second language to me so unfortunately I am not able to tell you what a RK upper is.

People over pay for things all the time. That is why I'm trying to find out this AR's real value because he wants $1,400-$1,600 depending on if he includes ammo and mags or not. From what I've seen, PSA is pretty cheap and if the value is less than what it cost to build the AR, then I think his price might be on the higher side. Just trying to do some homework on the system so that I don't end up over paying or regretting something.

I appreciate your response and I will defiantly take in the things you have said.

$1400-$1600 seems very high, unless he is including a LOT of ammo/ mags.
That is an $800 rifle set-up. Not much more, not much less.
Look for a complete rifle, from a reputable manufacturer...
Spikes, BCM, maybe PSA, Colt...prices are good these days, any of the above will be $1k or less (maybe not the BCM). You won't regret it, and you'll know it was built properly.
Good luck

Thank you Meridian. Very straight forward response and answered every question/concern of mine plus more. I appreciate it!

I actually made a mistake and left out a bunch of information and he also corrected some information for me, so I'll do a brief recap. This is a fully functional & complete AR-15 with 200 or so rounds put through it (built last summer).

PSA lower and a Cerro Forge upper, Rguns 1/9 twist 16" chrome-molly lined barrel, all Magpul MOE furniture. A3 flat top upper with a rear BUIS and an M4 front sight post. Has a Sightmark Z reflex sight, Vortex flash suppressor, Tapco single point sling plate, mil spec stock, MOE picatinny, DPMS lower parts kit. Might be forgetting a few other things.

Just thought I'd make the corrections. He's wanting $1,450 + a extra $50 for 220 rounds and two USGI 30 round mags. Basically, he's wanting what he spent building the rifle and I don't see how that's right. From what others are saying, there's much better AR's out there for less or equal value but I still wanted to correct the information that was posted. Now, if you're opinions have changed after updating this information, please share but at this point, I think I would be better off passing on it. I am selling my motorcycle and this AR-15 was offered to me as part trade and he'd throw a few thousand on top to make up for the difference and that is why I wanted second opinions on this Rifle.

Thanks for all of the help so far.

You can buy a complete psa lower right now for ~159 the upper runs 79.99 per cerro forge website. Add an upper parts kit for ~25. R guns barrel is 225. Magpul moe furiture kit is 72. Sightmark sight is 120. Now there is still shipping and FFA charges for the lower but do you think it's worth his value of 1450?

I actually made a mistake and left out a bunch of information and he also corrected some information for me, so I'll do a brief recap. This is a fully functional & complete AR-15 with 200 or so rounds put through it (built last summer).

PSA lower and a Cerro Forge upper, Rguns 1/9 twist 16" chrome-molly lined barrel, all Magpul MOE furniture. A3 flat top upper with a rear BUIS and an M4 front sight post. Has a Sightmark Z reflex sight, Vortex flash suppressor, Tapco single point sling plate, mil spec stock, MOE picatinny, DPMS lower parts kit. Might be forgetting a few other things.

Just thought I'd make the corrections. He's wanting $1,450 + a extra $50 for 220 rounds and two USGI 30 round mags. Basically, he's wanting what he spent building the rifle and I don't see how that's right. From what others are saying, there's much better AR's out there for less or equal value but I still wanted to correct the information that was posted. Now, if you're opinions have changed after updating this information, please share but at this point, I think I would be better off passing on it. I am selling my motorcycle and this AR-15 was offered to me as part trade and he'd throw a few thousand on top to make up for the difference and that is why I wanted second opinions on this Rifle.

Thanks for all of the help so far.
Most of the stuff you are listing are on the low end.

You could buy a lot better AR for as much or less

Colt LE6940 Carbine around $1000-$1200 New

Daniel Defense v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, or v7 will run around $1100 -$1500

Bushmaster xm15 run around $900 new. I had 6000 rounds through mine with out any problems

Smith and Wesson, Rock River, and BMC have some great AR's in that price range or less.

I would stay away from sightmarks optics you can get better ones for less.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Micro-Dot-With-Removable-Base-p/md-06.htm

Personally I wouldn't buy someones else's build. I would take the time and learn how to do it myself, or buy a manufactured one.

I don't now what your finances are. If the 1400-1600 dollars is your price range, and this is for ishtf/fun. You could buy a good AR for $800-$900, spare parts, ammo, mags, and a better optic then what he is offering.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Yeah, that's what I've been told and I let him know that but he insists it's not a $800 AR but a $1,400 AR instead. Even if he did have $1,400 into building it, I don't see how every single part/add-on is still worth what it costs brand new.

The rifle does not look the way I want my AR to look (I want tan accents or maybe all tan instead of all black) and I want different add-ons/accessories, so I'd be better off just building my own AR to my exact liking (and I'd pay far less for it than what he wants for his) than buying his AR.

There are far better AR-15's for less or equal value than what this guy wants for his. So If I'm going to spend $1,500 on his AR then I might as well spend $1,500 on a much better AR and actually get my moneys worth. I just felt the need to correct my mistakes and see if that changed anything (which it didn't). I appreciate all of the help and I will most defiantly be passing on this AR. Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback - you saved me from making a big mistake.

hell no. $1,400? Dude is crazy. More like less than $700 personally. Also some people do not know what they are doing when they build a gun. If you want an AR, what is your budget?

I'd like to stick around $600-$700 for my first AR. Might pay a little more for something I really like. I love the AR's that are all tan, so that's really what I'm aiming towards.

$1400-$1600 seems very high, unless he is including a LOT of ammo/ mags.
That is an $800 rifle set-up. Not much more, not much less.
Look for a complete rifle, from a reputable manufacturer...
Spikes, BCM, maybe PSA, Colt...prices are good these days, any of the above will be $1k or less (maybe not the BCM). You won't regret it, and you'll know it was built properly.
Good luck
x2, well said

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top