JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I have a couple full size 9mm pistols and would like some suggestions and why - fores in buying a small 9mm for carry.. My choice will most likely be a 9mm, mostly because I'd like to stay with just one ammo.. and.. Oh yeah.. I'm on a pretty tight budget.. probable purchase, a used or "very reasonably" priced new 'un.

I've thought about a 9mm revolver like a taurus or S&W, but the S&W is out of my price range. The dependability of a revolver in a " circumstance" makes it appealing, as " pull trigger again" is not completely out of my expertise zone. but revolvers are all a bit rare on the market, both new and used.

Leaning towards a small auto and this may be where I could use some suggestions.. I'm thinking 7 or so rounds, single stack, but would appreciate your guys' opinions and reasons.. and a hint a price too.

Again I am on a very tight budget for this .

Thanks

MM

Sig P938 will likely be the smallest 9mm Auto out there. Mine has been a great carry gun and is very accurate. 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber gives you 8 of any flavor 9mm you prefer. But new your looking at the high $500. These are very high quality firearms.

T4.JPG

LC9 is great if you don't mind DA only, I have one and like it. Less expensive option would be Taurus slim which has a nicer trigger SA/DA but not as good of an overall gun as an LC9 IMHO. Keltec PF9 is nice as well.

carry daily.. M&P 9mm "shield" which shoots and cycles well.. right around 7/8" wide, so a comfy carry.. rated for +p ammo.. 7 & 8 round mags.. I like 147G HST for the short barrel.. under 400.00 new.. JMHO

Take a look at the sccy cpx 2. I just picked one up last week they are about 250 and are about the same size as ktec pf11. I can pocket carry it just fine first gens have negative reciews but the second gen is a very solid gun, also armscor m206 snubby is a cheap revolver to look for

Sig P938 will likely be the smallest 9mm Auto out there. Mine has been a great carry gun and is very accurate. 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber gives you 8 of any flavor 9mm you prefer. But new your looking at the high $500. These are very high quality firearms.

T4.JPG

Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest, but expensive at about $1100+ if you can find one. I found one, but did not buy it as it was so small that my hands (on the largish side) could only get one finger fully on the grips.

product-gun-r9stealth.png

Kahr CM9 is a good little pistol.

I've got a Colt Pocket Nine that would make a great carry piece, except that it's like new in box and since Colt only made it for one year, it's turned into a collectible piece.
It just sits in the safe doing nothing but taking up space.

Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest, but expensive at about $1100+ if you can find one. I found one, but did not buy it as it was so small that my hands (on the largish side) could only get one finger fully on the grips.

I stand corrected. But a close comparison of the Sig 938 and the Rohrbaugh R9 shows you give up a lot for very tiny savings in size/weight (not to mention the price difference)

938-Rohbaugh.JPG

I own a fairly large collection of handguns. I purchased a KelTec PF9 a few years back & am very satisfied with it. I wanted a compact 9MM that I could throw in my pocket. I've never had a mis-fire & always put a few magazines through it each time I go to the range. It's hard to beat for the under $300.00 compact 9MM.

I found mine much easier to hold & shoot when I purchased an extended magazine which in turn lengthened the grip a bit.

But...mileage may very dependant on driving conditions. To each his own.

I have a number of small handguns in .380 and 9mm. My first small carry in 9mm was a Beretta Nano, which I like a lot. I think I paid more than $300 for the Nano ($350?) but I felt is was worth it. I've put about 900 rounds thru it with NO problems at all. But 6 & 1? Or 1 more with the extended mag which prints like crazy with my holster. I also carried two extra mags for a total of 19 rounds. Then I started looking at the SCCY CPX-2 (no safety). A TINY bit wider (10th of an inch) and way lighter, even comparing loaded to loaded. I carry 1 extra mag, and have 21 rounds. I only have about 400 rounds thru the CPX-2, and find that 115 grain ammo might be a bit too light, 124 gr works really well, and bigger rounds tend to make me shoot a bit high, and with the short barrel, tumble - ripping big gouges in the targets. When I get tired shooting, I sometimes get sloppy and limp wristed. With the 115 grain ammo, your day is over. No problems with the 124 at all. Both the Nano and CPX have very long, stout triggers, so no problems going to the CPX. The grip on the CPX is a bit longer and I haven't got the grip figured out on the draw, but work into place quickly. Hands aren't huge, but on the big side of normal (size 10 or 12 glove).
I really like the CPX, and they have a lifetime warranty that follows the handgun. Though I still shoot smaller groups with it, I pretty much have put the Nano away. I figure a few more rounds thru the CPX and I will be good to go on the targets (right now, I'm a bit bigger than a CD at 21 feet, so not concerned about self defense).

Hope that helps.

I stand corrected. But a close comparison of the Sig 938 and the Rohrbaugh R9 shows you give up a lot for very tiny savings in size/weight (not to mention the price difference)

938-Rohbaugh.JPG

Maybe, but the Rohrbaugh is 0.7" shorter - that is not a "tiny difference".

But to each their own. As I said, the R9 is too small. At some point, especially for a healthy centerfire, you need something you can hold onto.

And yes, it is expensive, I mentioned that. It is a high end very rare pistol. The grips are made of carbon fiber.

I'm partial to my glock 26 but only because I like the platform compatibility with my other 9mm glocks. It's thicker than the single stack 9s out there, but I find concealability very easy with a AIWB holster due to short grip.
I've been shooting a friends walther pps a lot lately and really like the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Kahr PM9 is smaller than the 938 also. I've had mine as my EDC for some time and have come to love it for
the intended purpose. Never a failure in about 1k rounds and I shot 600 straight without a cleaning or failure. I can put all rounds in the 10 ring on a silhouette for about 6 or 7 mags before my accuracy starts to deteriorate and hands get tired.

But you would be hard pressed to find one in the price range indicated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top