JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a sporter 1903 springfield mark I. The rear sight base has been ground flat and has a Redfield sight on the rear. Have ordered a new stock for it and am considering optics as I want to complete the sporterizing and make it into a functional hunter. Any thoughts on scope bases, drilled and no drill and also on metal refinish. Looking at cerakote or an hot blue. Other option is to remove the rear sight base and either leave it off or replace with a used/aftermarket one and use the scope base that mounts on the original rear base. Thoughts? Can add pics if that would help.

Can you verify that this is really a Mark I, and that it has the hole in the left side of the receiver for the Pederson device?

A Mark I should have the rear sight mounted to the barrel, but your description sounds more like a Model 1903A3. You describe the "rear sight base" as being ground flat and a Redfield sight installed. If the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the Redfield sight, then the gun has been altered to the point of minimal collector value. Drilling and tapping for a scope mount should not reduce it's collector value much more. If no holes have been drilled in the receiver, the gun has much more value to a collector, and you should sell it and use the money to buy/alter a gun without collector value.

If you want to mount a scope, you will have to either mount it very high or have the bolt handle and safety modified to clear the scope. Be sure to figure that cost into your plans.

I watched my dad turn a Springfield into a sporter, and it is a lot of work, but makes a very nice rifle.

MARK i.jpg

MARK i.jpg

I have an 03-A3 with the "triple nickel" steel barrel.. I seriously doubt you could blue a barrel like mine.
I kinda wish I had a sight on mine like on yours.. you can take off/unscrew the aperture for a fast and accurate ghost ring with those.
Mine's just the issue peep sight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top