Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for a Turkey hunting spots in western Oregon

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by uban77, Oct 10, 2011.

1. uban77

uban77 Maui, HI. Luck favors the prepared.

I am looking for Turkey hunting spots in western Oregon. Fall season is here and I am new to the area. I live in Portland. So if you know of a spot. Please give me a PM. Public or Private lands. Talking about Private land hunting!!! Did I mention, I am a great Home Brewer.

2. Silverback

Silverback Oregon City New Member

Head down to the Roseburg area. Tons of birds and if you knock on enough doors you'll likely to find a place to hunt.

3. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ran a add in the Roseburg paper looking for a place to turkey hunt a few years ago and got about 10 call form people wanting me to kill ever turkey I saw.
    Good luck hope that help.

4. WillaminaOR

WillaminaOR Near Willamina, OR Member

If you know what you are doing and would be willing to show me the ropes, I know where there are some turkeys near Dallas.

Bryan

5. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The closest area near PDX is on the Barlow Ranger District on the Mt Hood National Forest. I don't hunt turkeys myself, but I have seen quite a few of them running around over thataway over the years. All public, National Forest land and close enough for a day trip.

6. that guy

that guy PDX Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm looking for input on PNW turkey habitat. I grew up in Pennsylvania and you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a turkey, but I've never seen one out here outside of a Safeway frozen section. Any tips? Thanks!

7. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

ive seen a lot of turkey when driving kings valley highway near pedee and kings valley.

8. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder The Couv Active Member

Dufur, Rock Creek Resevoir area. Just on the other side of Mt. Hood.

v0lcom13sn0w and that guy like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Timothy Lake area, southern side!!! Used to be plenty of them in that area!

10. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder The Couv Active Member

Depends on where you hunt in the state.
    Dufur area is a little open, and they're out there but not like in PA. The White River area specifically is where we used to hunt. Couldn't think of that earlier.

Turkeys in Oregon are rather specific to Regions of the state. Lots down south, near Roseburg and in Douglas county. Always hunted in and around Dufur, just on the east side of MT Hood. And have killed one and see more and more over where we elk and bear hunt in the Starkey unit on the east side of the state.

The game regs show that they issue 4000 tags for fall turkeys on the West side of the state, 500 in Eastern OR (Blue Mountain) and 450 in North Eastern OR.
    So at least for fall season, the west side, and specifically down south near Roseburg will have a lot more birds.

11. Spanishammer

Spanishammer Moscow, ID New Member

I tend too see a lot of birds on the Safeway and Albertson National forests . ..I keed I keed. I also vouch for Dufur and if you dare travel that far for a stinky tough bird...Starkey or anywhere in the ochocos.

12. that guy

that guy PDX Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Cool, thanks everyone! I hear there's also good spots down in the Melrose Unit. Might start there.