JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello!

New to the forum..thanks for reading!

I'm in the market for a small carry pistol.

I'm in the Portland area and have been to The English Pit, a dozen times, and have rented many of their "mouse guns".

Their Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 is in for repair. Tis the case with The Place to Shoot. This makes me nervous about buying one.

I have read as many shining/positive reviews to go along with the negative ones.... I have rented/tested every handgun prior to purchase, but have found this particular one pretty polarizing (and hard to find for rent).

I would LOVE to pick one up, but am concerned about doing so without firing one first.

If there are any Bodyguard owners on this forum willing to meet me at a range (of their choice) I would be willing to pay their range fee and buy a separate box of 50 rounds, for their use for the chance to fire their weapon.

Please let me know if/when you might be available.

Thanks a million!!

I've owned and fired several of the Bodyguard .38 specials, and got the opportunity to play around with the .380. I'd say in comparison to something like a ruger lcp it's a more comfortable gun. I'm a small guy and the bodyguard .380 fits my hand really well which was somewhat surprising given its size. I've never experienced any reliability issues with the 380 but then again I've never been around one that's been fired so often. I figure the reliability issue may be a product of the weapon being a range gun and having thousands of rounds fired through it. So I'd say if you get a chance to fire the gun, do so because not everyone has the same size hands. If for some reason you just end up buying it, I really don't think you can go wrong. Though personally I favor my bodyguard .38 ;-)

Mr2000, thanks for the note! Their seems to be such a big difference from small .380 to small .380. I've fired the Sig P238, Ruger LCP, Kahr 3833 and Taurus 738. If the BG is anything like the Sig, I'd be sold. Thanks again for writing!

Thanks for your thoughts FarmerTed1971! I am very curious about exactly that and is my main reason for hoping to find one to fire before purchase. I've dry fired one a few times at the NW Armory, does seem really loooong.

My girlfriend has a BG. I would say the trigger is poor at best. She used to carry it when dress choices didn't allow her to carry her Glock. Last practice trip to the range it had several failures to feed. Both with handloads and factory defensive ammo. The gun has 200-250 rounds through it. I won't blame the gun until we have investigated further, but it was enough for it to go in the safe until we do. Personally it doesn't fit me well but I prefer larger guns. She is ambivalent to the fit of it, but it is good enough she will carry it once it has proven itself reliable.

If the BG is anything like the Sig, I'd be sold.

It won't be. You're comparing apples to oranges. The Sig P238 is copy of the Colt Mustang, it is a metal framed, single action pistol designed to be carried cock and lock (loaded chamber, hammer back and safety on), it will have a consistent short, light trigger pull. The S&W 380 Bodyguard is a polymer framed double action only pistol with, who knows why, a manual safety, it will have a consistent long, heavy trigger pull.

IMO the Karh P380 is the best you've listed. Why set on 380? Is this a BUG or primary CCW? The Karh PM9 is near the same size with a major increase in power. Personally, I think they are both too small for a primary.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top