JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got this friend, who has got this rat. now this rat is a swarmy bastid and is evading all the carefully placed traps he has placed and for some reason will NOT eat the poison that has been set out for him. He is now getting desperate and is thinking on getting a air gun to go and send this rat to rat heaven. Any recommendations that are on the low cost side

Hes got some .22 shorts and a henry .22 but He doesnt need that much power, He thinks the shot would be close range, like 10 feet our under. .22 rat shot is something to consider though

Define low budget. Walmart has many air rifles for sale. I bought a Hatsan Mod 85 on Amazon for a little over $110 and am very very happy with it. It's .22cal, subsonic, and great for pests up to medium size (possum size, etc)

Hes got some .22 shorts and a henry .22 but He doesnt need that much power, He thinks the shot would be close range, like 10 feet our under. .22 rat shot is something to consider though

.22 ratshot may not kill it on the spot, which may lead to it during in the walls! Yuck. Any revolvers you could load up with earshot? .38? 10' is close enough it should work.

Define low budget. Walmart has many air rifles for sale. I bought a Hatsan Mod 85 on Amazon for a little over $110 and am very very happy with it. It's .22cal, subsonic, and great for pests up to medium size (possum size, etc)

I was thinking something sub $150, but the cheaper the better.

I was thinking something sub $150, but the cheaper the better.

K... like I mentioned, WalMart has a bunch of them usually. Some are over $200 but I wouldn't pay that.

.177 is fine for rats & such, but .22 and even .25 is better for larger game. But .177 has a supersonic crack downstream from the muzzle.

I had a rat problem until.

002.JPG

I bought a Remington 22 break action from CDNN a few months ago with silencer and scope for 69.00 but it is as powerful as a 22 sub sonic. Also bought a factory refurbished Gamo 177 from Midway with silencer and scope for 89.00, also quite powerful. Both are wood stock good looking rifles. CDNN still has the Remington for 99.00 only in .177 and Midway has a bunch for under 100.00 or so.

Last Edited:
I bought a Remington 22 break action from CDNN a few months ago with silencer and scope for 69.00 but it is as powerful as a 22 sub sonic. Also bought a factory refurbished Gamo 177 from Midway with silencer and scope for 89.00, also quite powerful. Both are wood stock good looking rifles.
I am going to have to check Midway out, I been mostly shopping Amazon

Put some glue traps close to some walls where it runs.
I have good pellet pistols that I've used on indoor rats in the house.. perfect power level.
Barring that, I'd make some paraffin slugs powered by a primer out of a handgun. Those will kill it. Or you could buy reusable slugs..

Speer - Plastic Training Bullets

Put some glue traps close to some walls where it runs.
I have good pellet pistols that I've used on indoor rats in the house.. perfect power level.
Barring that, I'd make some paraffin slugs powered by a primer out of a handgun. Those will kill it. Or you could buy reusable slugs..

Speer - Plastic Training Bullets
gluetraps have been done, seems to avoid getting stuck. seen little foot prints on it as well.

I know the ghillie suit, war paint, and a nice air gun seem way more manly, but I have had great success with the 5gal drowning traps. Seriously, I catch about 1-2 a night and when I first put them up I was getting 6-7 a night.

You need some 2x4s, a 5gal bucket, some wire, a beer can, and some peanut butter. Put some water at the bottom so you don't have to worry about dispatching them all.

We had rats in an old detatched garage when I was in HS, I would drop them with nine pumps on a budget pellet gun. They might get a few feet before expiring.

So I got this friend, who has got this rat. now this rat is a swarmy bastid and is evading all the carefully placed traps he has placed and for some reason will NOT eat the poison that has been set out for him. He is now getting desperate and is thinking on getting a air gun to go and send this rat to rat heaven. Any recommendations that are on the low cost side
I live on 16 acres in Beaverton, Moles and rats are a problem, So I purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm pellet gun.
This semi auto pistol fires at 450FPS, I use gammo pellets and trust me at 15 to 20 feet it will drop a rat!. The semi auto fire makes it easy to drop 8 rounds just as fast as yo can pull the trigger. It features a 16 round mag and it has reduced my problems by 70 percent in the last year. Do not underestimate this hand gun it is accurate and I can ping rats or moles, I have even used it to butt shot coyotes to keep them from chasing my dogs. It can be purchased at most sporting good stores and uses a 12 gram C02 cartridge, and I can get 60 shots before changing C02, they run $100 bucks

I also have a beretta M92a1 pistol that goes full auto and drops 18 rounds in 1.5 seconds, no more rat!.

Check them out, the M92a1 I purchased from Pyramid air.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top