JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, a bad motor will always be a bad motor with out intermittent issues! Like others point to, Fuel Filters, plug wires, check for Air Leaks, and check/clean the PCV valve. May also look at the fuel pump and check for correct voltage, or a volt spike, or loss of volts! Also check All Grounds! Fords are known for ground corrosion and this can cause all sorts of issues! If none of this helps, then Cam/ timing chain tensioner issues may be the cause. These Coyote engines are known to have chain tensioner issues with a lot of miles on them!
This is why I'm pulling my hair out.... I could literally spend couple of thousand dollars doing all this to find out my motor is toast and I'm not sure it's worth $6,000 to put a new crate motor in it when I get there..
I can see me doing some of the easy stuff check hoses PVC filter leaks loose wires not so much with the electrical though.

Just remembered my brother in law had a similar issue with his 05 and 5.4. His was a wire that has slightly worn through and was occasionally grounding out on the Aluminum looking AC Line. Look and see if any burn marks on the line? He taped up the wire that was arcing and has had zero problems since

View attachment 313383
Checked over and under for wire issues. Nothing obvious.

Stop guessing! Simple basic scan tools are cheap. Cheaper than just about any sensor you'll be randomly throwing at your truck.

#1 Purchase scanner
#2 Read and record stored codes
#3 Erase codes (to eliminate any erroneous codes that may have been set whilst F'ing with it)
#4 Start and run the truck for a while
#5 Recheck codes
#6 Post codes in this thread

Even the $50 Harbor Freight scanners are decent. They are made by Autel. We have half a dozen of them in various places at work. Certainly no substitute for an $5000 Snap-On scanner but it'll give you enough functions and info to get a lot done. I keep one in the glovebox of my car.

Reviving this to update... tried some of the things suggested on this form. Finally took it to Ford they diagnosed number 4 cylinder lack of compression. Looks like a bad fuel injector. Cameras showed scoring in the cylinder. Told me that for $350 they could repair the fuel injector new spark plug and hope for the best. But believe that the scoring that they could see was probably indicative of more scoring. They also told me that there were some codes that led them to believe there may be an issue with the PCM / computer. That even if they were able to get cylinder up and running that I may need a new computer but couldn't confirm that until the cylinder was running properly. Service guys seem to think but I likely need a new engine. Quoted me $8,000. That does not include the new PCM computer if also needed.

Anybody know a reliable local company that sells rebuild motors? Maybe used motor and PCM from wrecked vehicles?

I'd use a noid light to see if the PCM is pulsing the injector to be sure that there isn't a wiring or control problem holding the injector open. If that checks out you can replace the injector and plug yourself then drive it for a while to see how it plays out. Whether you need to replace the engine or not, you'll still be buying a new injector if their diag is correct.

may not be normal but id rather pay $2.50 for a quart of oil every 3 tanks of gas than put new rings in it.

Used to be the auto makers would not do anything about an engine under warranty until oil consumption got to under 400 miles a quart. Never have worried about about an car burning oil until it got to that point for the last 50 years. When I started driving most engines didn't go much over 80-90,000 miles without needing a rebuild or 40-50,000 miles without a valve job. Most people today get 2 to 3 times the mileage out of a car as they did 40-50 years ago.

Used to be the auto makers would not do anything about an engine under warranty until oil consumption got to under 400 miles a quart. Never have worried about about an car burning oil until it got to that point for the last 50 years. When I started driving most engines didn't go much over 80-90,000 miles without needing a rebuild or 40-50,000 miles without a valve job. Most people today get 2 to 3 times the mileage out of a car as they did 40-50 years ago.
yeah, machining is much much better now. most people never will see an abnormal oil consumption issue with their vehicle. however, i am weekly putting new rings in the 2011-2012 chevy equinox under "special coverage" or warranty. i always said the LAST rig i would buy is an equinox,cruze or traverse BUT, everything that goes wrong with them is usually covered either by warranty or special coverage.I considered MAYBE buying a loaded traverse but I bought a toyota 4runner from across the parking lot instead.

Something does not sound right, how did the scoring get in the cylinder walls? If the injector stops working the cylinder goes dead but it should not cause any scoring on the cylinder walls. Now if the injector is flooding the cylinder with fuel it may wash the rings down and cause scoring to occur. Why can they not tell you if it has a Ecm problem? Misfire should not cause you to not be able to diagnose the Ecm.

Is anyone here good at or know someone that can help me with my excursion's suspension system?
I need to redo the whole darn thing- front springs and shocks, and rear springs and shocks.
I just don't have the expertise ..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads