JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for someone who knows their bubblegum on newer Ford Engines. 2005 F150 5.4L engine. I've had it looked at and paid for some insight at a general auto repair location but I'm too attached to my money to go into a full blown Ford Dealership and pay another large chunk of money to have them do the same testing over again at $100.00/hr. I'm willing to pay for your time if you have access to the proper equipment and knowledge but I'd like to forego paying for the same thing twice..

Most mechanics are going to need access to those multi thousand dollar computers to properly diagnose a problem on your engine unless you have an engine light and it's spitting out error codes when looked at with a cheaper version.

Here we go... 2005 F150 with 185,000 miles. 1 owner truck maintained well. Never a wreck, regular maintenance including Plugs at 90,000 and again at 170,000. Other than needing a new alternator last year NO issues, Never a oil leak, etc.

In May I put new Front Struts, Rear shocks and Front brakes, rotors, calipers because of all the above and decided I'd keep it as my second vehicle. In June I drove to Mt. Hood and back and it drove like a dream. Parked it and took other vehicle to work.

Wife calls me that night and tells me that the truck barely got down the block before having to return home. Engine warning light on and smells like fuel, runs rough and barely stays running....

Come home and find everything she says is correct. Have truck towed to my mechanic (because I'm working several days in a row and need vehicle sooner than I can look at it) Mechanic spends multiple hours over several days. Yes there were some codes (don't remember what they were) Nothing leads him to any great conclusions. At one point he tells me he drove it quite a ways and it drove great and he thought that it might have self corrected but then almost died on him and drove "rough" same symptoms. More hours spent but no diagnosis..

Mechanic says that it appears to go in and out of timing and he believes based on his best knowledge that it is an internal issue in the engine timing (tried to explain to me but it was like trying to explain how a tv actually shows pictures from space to me)
He believes that the motor is toast.
Told me I could take it to ford dealer but that they would not listen to him and accept the testing that he did and would start over and charge me shop rates until they determined the same thing as him except that he charged me $ 100.00 total for at least 5 hours of shop time and I'm not going to get that deal at ford.... The only thing that he said that he couldn't do at his location would be to take the "brain" out and replace it with another "computer" and hope that it's somewhere in the electronics that he can't diagnose but doesn't think that Ford will get that far for at least $ 1,000.00 worth of labor time if ever....
Right now the truck is worthless to me... Not sure it's worth a new motor but I put a couple grand in parts and maintenance in it in the last year and planned on keeping it for forever:(

is it hissing when its running? could have a disconnected PCV line at the back of the intake manifold. this will cause a lean condition and make the PCM over fuel due to the amount of u metered air entering the engine. happened to mine.

Mechanical engine do not work and then not work and then work - I doubt the engines toast.

Most likely a sensor telling the computer the wrong data or at worst the computer itself.

Could be a bad ground or something in the wiring but I'd wager it is electronically and not mechanical in nature.

(Was a low voltage electrician for years and what you describe happens to electronics, not mechanical items)

Mechanical engine do not work and then not work and then work - I doubt the engines toast.

Most likely a sensor telling the computer the wrong data or at worst the computer itself.

Could be a bad ground or something in the wiring but I'd wager it is electronically and not mechanical in nature.

(Was a low voltage electrician for years and what you describe happens to electronics, not mechanical items)

I concur!

Spark plug wires would be a high possibility.

My car worked on and off (kicking out cyclender errors etc) for months before I did that and it fixed it immediately.

Edit: my car has about 187k on it and first time wires were changed.

2nd edit: replaced the fuel filter and fixed part of the issue but not all of it.

I agree, a bad motor will always be a bad motor with out intermittent issues! Like others point to, Fuel Filters, plug wires, check for Air Leaks, and check/clean the PCV valve. May also look at the fuel pump and check for correct voltage, or a volt spike, or loss of volts! Also check All Grounds! Fords are known for ground corrosion and this can cause all sorts of issues! If none of this helps, then Cam/ timing chain tensioner issues may be the cause. These Coyote engines are known to have chain tensioner issues with a lot of miles on them!

Not to hijack thread, however I have a 99 Expedition with 5.4 and 188K. It does idle rough at times but more concerning I am burning a quart a month of oil. No smoke, however it is using it. This is disconcerning to me. Any options to rectify? I pay cash for all my vehicles and it is in REAL nice shape for age so I am willing to throw some money into it if it makes sense.

600-800 miles a between quarts. Is it normal for the 5.4 to use oil? I do not pull anything, yet... That is where my concern is. I am saving for a travel trailer and not sure if wise to pull if using that much oil. In case you didn't notice, mechanic I am not...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top