JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We're in NE portland and I'd like to find a place closer than 30min away to teach my kid the fundamentals of shooting. Looking to plink a few cans with my old pellet gun.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Shame, I'm guessing you fear doing it in the backyard? That's my first thought, unless you don't have a yard to do it in.

Space in the garage? Great for pellet/bb pistol practice and basic dry-firing.

franksindoorplinkingrange2021a.jpg

A lot of Portlanders shoot around the Estacada area. If you're on the east side, that is probably the closest you'll find. Head out there explore a bit, look on google maps for an area that looks promising. Finding "your spot" is half the fun of shooting on public land.

PSTC is a decent indoor range, but it's definitely not inexpensive.

A lot of Portlanders shoot around the Estacada area. If you're on the east side, that is probably the closest you'll find. Head out there explore a bit, look on google maps for an area that looks promising. Finding "your spot" is half the fun of shooting on public land.

PSTC is a decent indoor range, but it's definitely not inexpensive.

Thanks I'll check out Estacada.

I set up BB gun range in my garage. The grandkids love it. Just hang an old sleeping bag or blanket on the garage door to stop any stray BBs. You can invent a large cardboard box to be a target/BB catcher. You will have to add several layers of cardboard or old bath towels inside the box to catch the BBs. For your pellet gun, do only 2-3 pumps so you don't shoot holes through your garage door. I then put a strip of masking tape on the floor about 12' from the target, this would be your firing line. Next, hang an empty beer can or pop can in front of the box for a target. The can will really bounce around when hit. Kids love it! I give them a penny for every hit. If you don't want to use your pellet gun inside the garage, go get a Daisy Buck or Red Ryder at Walmart for about $25. BBs are cheap too.

We have a yard, but it's technically illegal to do it in Portland and we have an a-hole neighbor behind us.
Figure something like that. Shooting from the inside to outside into a trap can be extremely quiet and no one would ever know. If you have a sliding glass door, even better.

Figure something like that. Shooting from the inside to outside into a trap can be extremely quiet and no one would ever know. If you have a sliding glass door, even better.

You wanna hear something dumb? My street is a designated "NO DISCHARGE OTHER THAN SELF DEFENSE". We all have lots of acreage, but there is a wildlife refuge bordering our properties.......

People are allowed to hunt in the refuge.

We have a yard, but it's technically illegal to do it in Portland and we have an a-hole neighbor behind us.
Good move to avoid that IMO due to your location. People in PDX are nuts about reporting things and in addition you might get blamed for something in the future that had nothing to do with you if something happens with a bb/pellet. Garage is a good place. You can make a trap that is silent and traps all pellets (FYI if shooting BBs, assume they will bounce if they hit another bb so I would not use it for BBs) out of Duct Seal available from Home Depot. That would be good in addition to outdoor shooting I mean, not to totally replace outdoor shooting.

Home Depot bucket filled with sand and a lid made entirely of duct tape a few layers thick makes a great trap.

For east side PDX I echo Estacada. If you're just doing BB guns, most public lands with a berm/hill are gonna cut the mustard. We keep a little Red Rider in the truck and if life finds us on public lands, the kids get to let some off and practice safety. Good luck!

Thanks I'll check out Estacada.
Map links are in each event we've done. Search through for events in Mt Hood or Welches areas...
http://trashnoland.org/events.html

In about a week, I'll have a new interactive map with only public land dispersed shooting places on it and will make it available to the public. You'll be able to find commonly known shooting sites throughout OR & WA. The map will grow as we grow.

I'll be announcing our new website rebuild soon and that map will be on the home page at https://trashnoland.org (complete rebuild of the site, about to launch next week.

I thought Hwy 224 eastbound out of Estacada was still shutdown. Now open?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top