JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It sounds like you want to know what's available to purchase at a reasonable price. There are several issues with that. First, if that is what you're doing, you need to use the classifieds for that. As mentioned above, you can create a Want to Buy ad. Second, you need to specify a dollar range. Some folks carry $2000 guns for self defense, others don't want to spend more than $200. Next, you need to specify one or more models of gun that you are looking for.

If you don't know what kind of gun you want yet, which it sounds like, you need to figure that out before you create a Want to Buy ad. To help figure out what you want, you could start a new thread here in General Firearm Discussion and ask what people recommend. Give some background information. What caliber/type/model have you found comfortable to shoot in the past? What specific price range are you OK with? People will probably ask you more questions and you'll learn more about what you like. They'll also probably tell you what they like and why. Once you've got a list of guns that sound good, I strongly recommend that you take that list to a gun range that rents guns and spend about $100 trying out some of the guns from your list. You will learn more about what you like in the first 5 minutes there than you can here in a week. We'll give you more info on how to go about that if you decide that's what you want to do.

And just to take a step way back, have you shot a lot before? If not, before you do any of this, it's a good idea to go take an introductory handgun course. The NRA Basic Pistol course is inexpensive and very good.

Sounds like the big issue is location in Jackson county.
If you are already familiar with a range of guns, and just want to get something workable fast, you could start a want ad based upon Jackson county location, upper price, caliber, and basic size and type. For example, you might really want a 9mm that is about the same size as a Glock19 or slightly smaller, any action type. You could place an ad saying that.

Like the rest said, it depends on what you are looking for. Semi auto, revolver, derringer, etc.

I only had to spend 100 bucks to pick up my old hammerless H&R revolver, in .32 s&w. 5 shots of a mediocre round are enough to make me feel secure.

Like the rest said, it depends on what you are looking for. Semi auto, revolver, derringer, etc.

I only had to spend 100 bucks to pick up my old hammerless H&R revolver, in .32 s&w. 5 shots of a mediocre round are enough to make me feel secure.
Way back in the day, my father drove city buses in LA. He kept a .25 compact pistol in his sock. I don't think there were many compact options back then. Late 70s-early 80s.

Something else to consider.

How big are you, and what sort of clothing will you use to conceal the weapon?

At 6'1"/200lb and not terribly wide, I can hide a 1911 under heavy winter clothes (flannels and coats). In milder seasons, that's a pretty obvious piece to carry on hip or shoulder rig. And just plain annoying in the back of the belt if there's going to be any sitting/driving, etc.

For warm (lighter clothing) months, I carry something slightly less conspicuous.

Last Edited:
Any true Lorcin enthusiast knows you always wrap the grip with electrical tape for this very reason!

Apply some to the sights while you're at it. Don't need those flying off during a stovepipe.
Electrical tape, do I look like a millionaire?

But seriously, 3 of the grip screws have stripped out the frame. I'll retap and thread it for some bigger ones, someday.

20211128_213716.jpg

Something else to consider.

How big are you and what sort of clothing will you use to conceal the weapon?

At 6'1"/200lb. and not terribly wiide, I can hide a 1911 under heavy winter clothes (flannels and coats). In milder seasons, that's a pretty obvious piece to carry on hip or shoulder rig. And just plain annoying in the back of the belt if there's going to be any sitting/driving, etc.

For warm (lighter clothing) months, I carry something slightly less conspicuous.
I'm 5'8, 155#, and I can hide a government 1911 iwb with a t-shirt and shorts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top