JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I'm currently carrying a Maratac AAA Stainless light and it's a great light. Small (outside diameter is roughly the size of a AA battery), lightweight, carries easily and shines brightly on the high setting. The one thing I don't like about it is the activation. To turn it on you twist it once to get to the low setting and twist it off and immediately back on to get the higher setting. I'm not digging the two-handed activation, does anyone know of a similarly sized light with a one-handed activation? Maybe an endcap type switch?

I have a couple of Streamlights that I carry. They have the button on the end. Both are powered by 2 AA batteries and are pretty darn bright, especially the ProTac2 on high, which is the first operated "on" setting. (it also has strobe and low) It can be found for $40 or less. I carry a smaller one at work, but this one is in my pocket constantly. I'm amazed at how often it gets used and wonder why I didn't always carry a flashlight along with my pocket knife.

Bought a bunch of these. They are not the best but work very well for us. I also have a few of these. I even bought my son-in-law one of these for his job as he does road side assistance currently. Now I also have a few of these which are a little better quality but not nearly as bright. Hope my use of links was not to annoying. ;-)

I have a couple of Streamlights that I carry. They have the button on the end. Both are powered by 2 AA batteries and are pretty darn bright, especially the ProTac2 on high, which is the first operated "on" setting. (it also has strobe and low) It can be found for $40 or less. I carry a smaller one at work, but this one is in my pocket constantly. I'm amazed at how often it gets used and wonder why I didn't always carry a flashlight along with my pocket knife.

I like it! Maybe a Protac 2L for EDC and a Protac EMS for work. Thanks!

There are some decent lights out there these days, personally, I've been opting for cheaper/lower output lights mostly because I came to the realization that a 200+ lumen light is nearly useless for digging through my glove box, while that kind of output is a bit more impressive for finding out what went bump in the night, it's not really what I need. For the moment at least I'm carrying one of the little nebo lights I picked up at the hardware store for $10, uses a single AA battery.

If you're thinking about spending some real coin on a light, I would hold off for a few months, at present the lithium rechargable batteries are really starting to come into their own. If you look at the 18650, 18350 and the like, these batteries while they're [email protected] can be reused for 200+ recharges if deep cycled, and 1000+ charges if short cycled, I think the days of the lithium primary cell, as well as the alkaline battery are quickly coming to an end. It might be worth keeping your ear to the ground, and your money in your wallet.

I carry a Protac 2AAA and it works great. I carry it in my pant's side cargo pocket. It clips securely, is bright, lightweight, and uses common batteries. Puts out a lot of quality light for $25 from Optics Planet.

Olight makes nice single battery flashlights, with a button on the side, variable brightness, and a button lockout feature. Larger in diameter than the Maratac, but easier to use. I chose it because I peer into keyways frequently (I'm a locksmith) and need glare free, low power light to light up tiny spaces, and something powerful to illuminate street signs and addresses and night when I am driving and trying to find somebody. The S15 model uses one AA battery and adjusts from 0.3 lumens up to somewhere around 165. I am pretty happy with it. I always carry it, it isn't much of a burden, but it is nowhere near as slender as that Maratac.

Make magazine, last month, had a good article on how to build a custom AAA flashlight from a chapstick tube. Can't help thinking that modifying the light you have could be your best bet. Having a click switch made for your light will probably be the solution you would be happiest with. Your light is tiny. The same light, 3/8 of an inch longer to accommodate a click switch, would be pretty awesome.

I see that this thread is from the 11th, but...

My EDC tasking light is an Inova XS. It's a single AAA light with 53 lumen high and 6 lumen low settings. It has momentary via thumb press (no clicky), and constant on with tail twist. I love it.

I also carry a compact, high output light that runs on CR123 batteries. The current one is a 5.11 TMT L1 (212 lumen high --> low --> 212 lumen strobe, touch for momentary, click for constant), but I would happily carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L or 1L as alternatives. Maybe a Surefire EB1 Backup.

This approach takes very good care of me :)

The way I live there are lots of times I use a powerful light but locally there is virtually no choice of products beyond D-cell and motor cycle battery products. a quality rechargeable 1 million CP light would be a big help!

There are some decent lights out there these days, personally, I've been opting for cheaper/lower output lights mostly because I came to the realization that a 200+ lumen light is nearly useless for digging through my glove box, while that kind of output is a bit more impressive for finding out what went bump in the night, it's not really what I need. For the moment at least I'm carrying one of the little nebo lights I picked up at the hardware store for $10, uses a single AA battery.

If you're thinking about spending some real coin on a light, I would hold off for a few months, at present the lithium rechargable batteries are really starting to come into their own. If you look at the 18650, 18350 and the like, these batteries while they're [email protected] can be reused for 200+ recharges if deep cycled, and 1000+ charges if short cycled, I think the days of the lithium primary cell, as well as the alkaline battery are quickly coming to an end. It might be worth keeping your ear to the ground, and your money in your wallet.

What? You don't want a light that blinds you with every reflection? I have a couple of those.
I bought me and a couple friends those little pen/bar led lights that take a couple AAA batteries you see at the parts stores.
They have a magnet in the pocket clip so it can be right where you need it,
Quite bright too

Those lithium rechargeables are impressive. I've got a couple lights and half a dozen 18650 batteries.

I carry a Fenix PD35 which I usually keep at the lowest setting around 10 lumens. It has 5 brightness settings with the highest one being 850 lumens in a pocket sized form factor. It's size almost reminds me of a mini maglite. I wanted something that would work as a good mid distance light but would fit in a pocket. I got mine for around $70.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-Lm-powerful-compact-18650-flashlight-REVIEW

The lights and batteries will continue to get better and cheaper.

What? You don't want a light that blinds you with every reflection? I have a couple of those.
I bought me and a couple friends those little pen/bar led lights that take a couple AAA batteries you see at the parts stores.
They have a magnet in the pocket clip so it can be right where you need it,
Quite bright too

It's the NEBO "larry light", there are two models, one has a laser pointer in it, I like the regular one better, I think I have like 5 of them. Saved my butt last time I was coming over mt ashland and the transmission cooler lines managed to get sucked into the fan and blow trans fluid all over everything, took me a few minutes to figure out where it was coming from, a few more minutes to make the fix (while laying in a growing puddle of trans fluid) and then add the extra ATF I thankfully had so I could limp down the hill into yreka. Yea, great fan of those things, also carrying spare fluid and hoses for the car.

I carry the 5.11 PLx light. It takes two AAA's, 60 lumens, 4 hours runtime. I carry it in my back pocket with the clip on my pocket really comfortably and easily. The switch is awesome!!! It clicks but if you just push it down it a momentary switch. Plus I got it for $20.
I carry a surefire Z2X in my EDC pack with a change of batteries.

I just discovered a new brand called Olight that I'm really impressed with.

Always carried Surefire lights and never gave the imports a fair chance.
I bought their Warrior M21 and now I'm looking at getting a couple more.

Inexpensive, very good smooth light output. intuitive switches and a multitude of battery options.

I'm getting away from the CR123 platform and using the longer lasting higher output 18650 series rechargeable batteries in all my lights instead.

I carry a MagLite XL50. Great little work light. Tail cap push button switch - 3 modes. One click = max lumens (150, IIRC) Two quick clicks = dim mode (about same output as an old Mini Mag incan light) and three quick clicks = bright strobe. The only downside to the switch, there's no momentary function. But that's not a huge down side.

The light runs on 3 AAA batteries, so it's easy/cheap to run.

I've carried it in a pocket - but prefer it handier for work, and thus I carry it in a kydex sheath (originally with IWB snap straps, I've replaced those with injection molded OWB 1.5 belt loops).

I do sometimes wish that it had an anti-roll feature - the XL50 is a simple tube shape, the head is the same diameter as the body and end cap, so if I'm laying it down to try and use both hands, sometimes it rolls out of position. I usually wind up just stuffing the tail in my mouth and holding it that way. This has inadvertently lead me to the conclusion that the tail switch is at least water (spit) resistant.

At $30, it's not exactly cheap, but you can by 2 or 3 for the price of the lower-end SureFire lights. I used to love my SureFire G2 lights - but both got lost. Then they went from a $25 light to a $50+ light - and if I'm dropping that much coin on one light - it won't be polymer bodied, and it'll probably be of the weapon-mounted variety.

Heres a good AAR thread where some night fighters discuss best EDC light for fighting at night.
http://www.paragonpride.com/forum/t...hter-week-march-22-25-2014-las-vegas-nv.1252/

Heres a good thread on task lights.
http://www.paragonpride.com/forum/threads/task-light.1289/

My surefire G2x works well. It has a button so I can quickly turn it on and off with one hand while I still have my handgun in my other hand. It is very bright so it will stop anybody in their tracks and momentarily blind them. Its small enough so I can still do mag reloads with it still in my hand. The surefire batteries off amazon are cheap. It can be attached to my AR15 also.

Granted, I used to buy 123's by the pallet, I've slowly been switching stuff over to either RCR123's, 18650 or 18350. If you look on amazon for ultrafire 16340 LiFePO4 batteries, they're about $3-4 each, but they're a rechargable drop in replacement for normal lithium primary 123's. I've heard of people blowing out surefire incandescents with them, but who runs an IC bulb these days? I currently have them in all of my tac lights. Sure makes it a lot easier when I just throw batteries on the charger after each use and throw the fresh ones from the charger back in the light. Along with a spare set, it really takes the guess work out of what's going to go wrong when I shoot FNRL...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews