JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new carry pistol and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. I'm a lefty so I don't want one of the new pistols that have safeties for right handed people only (e.g. the S&W shield). I have a full size XD(m) in .40 S&W, but it's just a pain to carry in the summer and I'm kind of sick of it jamming me in the leg when I sit down (I carry in the front). I have found the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Walther PPS, that seem to fit my requirements, though I like the .40 S&W but the price of the PF-9 is hard to pass up. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other suggestions that would be slim carry pistols? Thanks.

I carried the PF-9 for a while, and found it to be a great gun. It was perfectly reliable, and extremely easy to maintain. It was EXTREMELY concealable without having to go to a .380 or smaller. It has a fairly good capacity.

The only problem I had with it, is that it was incredibly painful to shoot more than a magazine or two through it.

I ended up (in my effort to consolidate calibers) replacing it with a Taurus Mellenium Pro (PT 145). The PT 145 is a little larger, but has a great capacity, and is a lot easier on my hand to shoot. I also find it to be extremely reliable after about 2500 rounds. If you're looking for a different caliber, I imagine the rest of this series is quite good as well.

If you are familiar and comfortable with the Springfield XD or XDm why not just stay in that line? I have a XD 40 so my personal carry is a XD9SC BUT I am looking into another carry revolver style.

Normally I'd recommend the PF9 (with houge jr. slip-on, my P11 hurts like hell without it, but with it? Not bad) but they have been having some QC issues of late (more than usual) and the PF9s seem to be coming back with more problems than before.

Mostly internet/gun shop talk but just something to think about. Heard nothing but good things about the PPS though, but you'll pay for it.

Happy hunting.

Glock 27

I'm a small guy and concealing the 27 in a crossbreed IWB is pretty comfortable. 9+1 of .40 with switchable mag release and no external safety.

Glock also might not be your thing but worth considering.

PF-9s are garbage. I had one for EDC, and it was a terrible experience. Failures to extract with every ammo I tried (WWB, federal, hsm, Speer 115 gr gold dots, speer 124 gr +P gold dots, blazer aluminum, pmc brass, Remington umc). The Kel Tec forums are full of talk about doubling or tripling up extractor springs to try to fix this.

Shooting them is punishing. They kick heavily, and they are LOUD. Using one for SD (no ears) would be painful.

I now carry a Ruger SR9c. Runs great, shoots very softly (fantastic recoil springs), good trigger. It also comes with 17 round spare mag, and a pinky extension to allow a full grip on the 10 rounder.

I carry an XDm compact during the winter/fall when I'm wearing more clothes to conceal easier, and the shorter grip helps conceal without sacrificing control or making it painful to shoot. During the spring/summer I carry a Sig P238. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the Sig p938 (marginally larger than the P238, but a step up to 9mm) I still feel that in the summer when everybody is wearing lighter clothing, .380 is adequate, and the 238 is easy to conceal

im a lefty i carry ether the Kahr pm40 or the p380 in the winter its a glock 23 kahr has come out with the cm 9 and cm40 series which is less expensive i use my index finger for the mag release works great for me

I carry an XDm compact during the winter/fall when I'm wearing more clothes to conceal easier, and the shorter grip helps conceal without sacrificing control or making it painful to shoot. During the spring/summer I carry a Sig P238. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the Sig p939 (marginally larger than the P238, but a step up to 9mm) I still feel that in the summer when everybody is wearing lighter clothing, .380 is adequate, and the 238 is easy to conceal

What about the P290 so you can carry in 9mm? NOT that is there is anything, so I feel, carry a .380.

What about the P290 so you can carry in 9mm? NOT that is there is anything, so I feel, carry a .380.

I like the super small size of the P238/P938 for summer carry because it disappears on my body with my UBG IWB holster in shorts and a t-shirt. My wife bought me the P238 for my birthday in May, if I had known or it was up to me, I'd have gotten the P938 instead- nearly same size, 9mm

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new carry pistol and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. I'm a lefty so I don't want one of the new pistols that have safeties for right handed people only (e.g. the S&W shield). I have a full size XD(m) in .40 S&W, but it's just a pain to carry in the summer and I'm kind of sick of it jamming me in the leg when I sit down (I carry in the front). I have found the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Walther PPS, that seem to fit my requirements, though I like the .40 S&W but the price of the PF-9 is hard to pass up. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other suggestions that would be slim carry pistols? Thanks.

I have carried the Kel Tek P-11 for years. Carried it daily in my right front pocket, dockers to suits, and it was 5 years before anyone at the office realized I carried. Good piece for the magical under 30', but don't think you are going to reach out and touch someone.

.. of the two you've mentioned, either are a good choice.

Of the two, I own the PF9 and it's now a winner with a Hogue Handall Jnr, an 'updated' slide assembly stopped the fail to ejects, some good mags and a Northwood trigger.

Note that 'out of the box', it was a little disappointing, when compared to the SIG P238 and Glock 27 I have.

The Ruger is indeed far quieter and worth a look.

I've tried, used and abused the Walther PPS and recommend it. Don't own one (bought a P99 instead).
Out of the box, the PPS runs very well and the owner stood it up for 700 rounds before disassembly.
No problems reported and now it has some 500 more rounds (I think).
He loves the thing, but that's another thread.

As others have pointed out there are more choices.
Got a range nearby that rents some of the above choices or a shop that has them for touchy feely? :)

I have both a Beretta Cheetah 84 and 85 which are double and single stack respectively. Ambidextrous safety. They are .380 and wonderful to shoot and very easy to carry. I actually like the double stack better because it tucks into my pants and the wider handle holds it securely in place. Either gun would make a perfect addition to anyone's concealed carry arsenal. Price is a little higher than some of the other guns you mention but take a look at resale on the Cheetah and it is a good investment. Just my 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top