JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been carrying a USP .40 since I got my CHL in October. I really like my H&K but it's pretty bulky, which means I have to plan my wardrobe more than I'd like.

What I'm looking for is a something ranging from the size of the PF-9 up to the 709 Slim. I was really close to getting a Bersa .380CC but there is no .380acp to be found around here. I'm also looking for a price below $400. What are the opinions here of these guns; Bersa 9mm, Taurus Slim, PF-9, or any other ideas you can think of.

I would strongly suggest a Smith and Wesson 642/442. In my opinion they are the best concealed weapon period. They are utterly reliable, a proven caliber, can be shot while concealed, easy to conceal, easy to draw, and extremely fun to shoot. It does kick, but it’s a “good” kick. When my USP is at home my Smith is in my pocket...

Both of those S&W are more than I'm wanting to spend now. I'm also not a big fan of revolvers, part of that is that I'm not really familiar with them (my only revolver is a H&R 949 :/ ). I kind of want to stick with an autoloader for this purchase.

I could be wrong, but i thought 442/642s were just a bit over $400. That's more than you wanted to spend, but not by much. Also, you could get a used one for under $400. But if revolvers are not your thing... no worries.

Cheers!

I'm with Alpental on this one....I was a die-hard anti-revolver guy up until a few years ago. Now my main carry piece is a S&W .357 J-Frame. It's light and compact and simple. I have a Walther PPS and an XD .45 that pretty much stay in the safe because they are heavier and less easy to carry. Like you I ended up having to plan my clothing choices around the gun...
My advice is to go to any gun show or shop and just pick up an Airweight and ponder it's advantages. If you end up liking it then look for a used one. My personal belief is that the complexities of a semi-auto pistol combined with a low cost price point is a recipe for trouble.
Remember, your life may depend on this gun- so get a good used one before you buy a cheap new one.
Again just my $.02 ...and worth everything you paid for it!:)

I like the size and feel of my Kahr P9. is small enough to fit just about anywhere and is accurate for a compact. I do like revolvers too, and when you get down to sub compacts and the like you find that both types of weapons may have only 6 rounds available. And if needed more than that you should have brought a rifle or friends.

Here is an idea. Save your money and get a SW 642/442. Anything less may give you more problems vis-a-vis reliabilty, improvements, etc. If you can carry the weight look at any of the SW model 60 series, more bucks, but will worth it. Or, a Ruger sp 101 2" at about $460. Some times you can get .380 ammo in BiMart, but, this round is not that popular when compared to 9mm, 40 or 38/357. I do not know about Charter, but they may have has a spotty quality reputation, but, check that out and do not rely on me. A dinky .22 mag NAA Pub is an expensive $325 or their are some high quality Derringers about $350 that shoot all of the above calibers. US Derringer or some company like that in Texas makes some super high quality Derringers--but look at their accuracy--tough to get the two barrels to shoot without divergent point of impact.

I did handle a few snubby revolvers the other day, but they weren't as small as the auto's I was looking at. Except for the (NAA?) .22lr revolver, but that was a little too "novelty" for me.

I know you said you didn't want a revolver, but I'm gonna keep trying to convince you... :)

A Snub-Nose Revolver look fairly large until you stick one in your pocket. It complete disappears. Revolvers have natural flowing lines and irregular thickness, which make them unnoticable when concealed compared to similar sized semi-autos.

Bud's guns has them listed for $432...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

My stock advice on this issue: Borrow or rent a variety of guns that interest you, take them to the range, and run a lot of rounds through them. Bring plenty of ammo along. Be open-minded. Be patient, take your time, and take good notes. At some point, some guns will fall by the wayside and others will rise in stature. At that point, disgard the ones that you know won't work for you and spend more time with the ones that show some promise. Eventually you'll find the one gun that best fits your hand and eye; that's the one to get.

The only person who can decide which gun is right for you to carry and conceal is you.

I'm pretty set on spending less than $400. I held a used Taurus snubby .357 that was ~$250. It felt ok in my hands, maybe I'll see if they'll let me shoot it and see how it feels.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top