1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. The lucky winners of the NWFA Fall Giveaway 2016 have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking For a Machinest

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Oct 24, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a project I'd like to do, involving a Remington 870, but I need a machinest that can mill something out of steel.

Before y'all say how dumb and worthless pistol grip only shotguns are, I've heard it. And I still like them.

My idea is, to machine (have machined) basically the grip frame of a 686 or 629 revolver, that would attatch to the rear of an 870 receiver, then, you could put any 686 or 629 grip, on your 870.

Anybody know anybody that could do this, or have any input?
  2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

That would cost you more than the shotgun. Interesting concept, but you'd need someone either very patient and skilled with manual machines or better still, someone with a CNC mill. Just thinking it would be prohibitively expensive, even if you took someone a finished blueprint. Having them try to sketch something out first would add more time and more cost. Certainly an interesting idea though.

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

My suggestion would be to grind a flat plate to the contour of the pistol grip and have it welded to a plate that would bolt to the receiver. That would cost much less than machining it.
    IronMonster likes this.
  4. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I am not much of a machinist, However I do have a mill and a lathe and make my living as a metal worker (not a gun smith or machinist though) What your describing to me sounds like its at least a days worth of work to make it first class. At $85/hr (which is what you should expect to pay for a competent machinist) your talking about an expensive gizmo for a $300 shotty.

I like SICARIO's plan, That would probably only cost you a hundred bucks-ish rather than $500-$800
  5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Or get a trashed pistol with the grip you want (hopefully cheap), cut it off and get it welded to an attachment plate.

6. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

You would be better to try to make something yourself.
    It would be very expensive, especially for one. My shop rate is $75/hour for program and set up time. So if it takes 4-5 hours to get it on the screen, then figure out how to hold onto it, make fixtures and all that. Then runtime is $120/hour. So for 1 part you're at $400. Now if you were order 10 parts that $300 for set up program time is split between all the parts, then it depends on how long they run for.
    Any way you look at it, prototype and one off work is not cheap, it takes a lot to get something into a CNC.
    IronMonster likes this.
  7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You might also consider looking at Dan Wesson revolver or Ruger double action revolver grips. If I remember correctly, the Dan Wesson grips mount on a long stud. A Ruger grip "frame" is something that could be made out of flat bar. The shape and structure is in the grip for these, unlike a pair of grips that sandwich the frame on a S&W revolver.
  8. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

Keep in mind, you'd also have to have a machinist with an FFL to do the work. You are talking about modifying the receiver of a firearm (two, actually), not just an accessory detached from it.
  9. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I'd get on a group for IPSC and USPSA competitors. There's sure to be some handy people there.
  10. kato pup dog

kato pup dog Hermiston Active Member

I actually like the direction the original poster was heading with this. Look for a demilled 686 frame and trim it yourself. Then find some stainless stock and do some metal work prepping the two pieces for fitment and prep for welds. The cost of a welder to tack the pieces should be fairly reasonable compared to machining costs. Run through a few attempts before settling on a final product. If people like the idea, the expense of producing 100 or so and reselling may pay out. Do your research first and enjoy creating something unique! If you want it for yourself, have the pieces fully welded up, glass bead or polish the stainless...