Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for a low recoil shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Peteralexander78, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I currently have a remington 11-48 in 12ga and love it but it is a bit too much for my wife. I am trying to get her to come shoot trap with me and I also want something for my kids to learn on in the future. What is a shotgun with a low recoil.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Something you may want to consider along with lower recoil is proper fit. Women are build differently then men and as such the length of pull height or the cheek and drop of the heel can greatly effect their shooting ability. You might want to head to one of the local shotgun PRO SHOPS like the one at Mitchells At Salem Clays and have your wife measured and fit for a proper stock.

Many times a stock can be modified to better fit a woman shooter with out any real cost. Her ability to handle recoil may change drastically once she is shooting with a proper stock.

P7id10T and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Sound like a good idea but still what are good models of shotguns that are low in recoil. Remember I would also like to let my kids use it as well.

4. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

smaller caliber generally means less recoil so my conclusion is to go .410 or 20 ga

5. Panther

Panther Keizer Active Member

Youth 11-87 20ga. These have a low recoil and nice weight balance. You can also look at the Charles Dailey auto but the remmington seems to hold value.

6. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Also look at the shells you use. I have found quite a difference between the boxes of ammo I buy (i.e. some kick much harder than others)

7. hillbilli

hillbilli whidbey island New Member

I'll second the 20 ga remington, also might consider a limbsaver pad for your 12 ga.. bought one years ago for my Mossberg, immediately went and rapid fired 6 rounds of slugs, and the only thing that hurt was my cheekbone.. well worth it..

8. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Go 20ga in a SemiAuto shotgun

9. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

I like the 20 ga. option because the shells go on sale like 12 ga.

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A properly tuned Browning A5 in 20ga will have less perceived recoil due to the design of the action. The key is properly tuned.

11. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Here's a shotgun that will (on its own) make a near-expert out of a novice in very short order:

Remington Model 1100 20ga.

At a young age, I began to believe that shotgunning was just not going to be anything I could ever master or enjoy: until I got my hands on a friend's 1100. Instantly I hit everything I tried to hit. Instantly, fear of recoil was gone. Instantly I loved shotgunning.

Although it was a 12ga (and I bought it and still own it), The 20ga version is even more adept at cultivating the new shooter toward skill never before imagined. Gas operated automatic absorbs perceptively over 60% of the recoil and/or spreads it out over a greater time. With low-base "field loads", recoil in this gun can be easily tolerated even by a young teenager, and is comparable to perhaps that of a .22-250 (though I believe shotgun recoil is of a type distinct from that of a rifle, and therefore comparisons are difficult).

If you think you are a fair shot with your pump or over-under 12ga., DO NOT go up against a new gunner with a 20ga 1100 on the trap birds. Your clock will be summarily cleaned.

12. Ops

Ops King County Member

buy low recoil ammo

13. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

+1 to semi-autos

There are 2 more options: the Knoxx recoil-reducing stock (only for 12ga for now, back for 20ga later this year) and/or recoil pad (Supercell or Limbsaver). With those 2, even a pump 870 in 20ga is a sponge.

14. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

Buy them a 20 gauge Benelli M2. You won't regret it.