JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a remington 11-48 in 12ga and love it but it is a bit too much for my wife. I am trying to get her to come shoot trap with me and I also want something for my kids to learn on in the future. What is a shotgun with a low recoil.

Something you may want to consider along with lower recoil is proper fit. Women are build differently then men and as such the length of pull height or the cheek and drop of the heel can greatly effect their shooting ability. You might want to head to one of the local shotgun PRO SHOPS like the one at Mitchells At Salem Clays and have your wife measured and fit for a proper stock.

Many times a stock can be modified to better fit a woman shooter with out any real cost. Her ability to handle recoil may change drastically once she is shooting with a proper stock.

Youth 11-87 20ga. These have a low recoil and nice weight balance. You can also look at the Charles Dailey auto but the remmington seems to hold value.

I'll second the 20 ga remington, also might consider a limbsaver pad for your 12 ga.. bought one years ago for my Mossberg, immediately went and rapid fired 6 rounds of slugs, and the only thing that hurt was my cheekbone.. well worth it..

Here's a shotgun that will (on its own) make a near-expert out of a novice in very short order:

Remington Model 1100 20ga.

At a young age, I began to believe that shotgunning was just not going to be anything I could ever master or enjoy: until I got my hands on a friend's 1100. Instantly I hit everything I tried to hit. Instantly, fear of recoil was gone. Instantly I loved shotgunning.

Although it was a 12ga (and I bought it and still own it), The 20ga version is even more adept at cultivating the new shooter toward skill never before imagined. Gas operated automatic absorbs perceptively over 60% of the recoil and/or spreads it out over a greater time. With low-base "field loads", recoil in this gun can be easily tolerated even by a young teenager, and is comparable to perhaps that of a .22-250 (though I believe shotgun recoil is of a type distinct from that of a rifle, and therefore comparisons are difficult).

If you think you are a fair shot with your pump or over-under 12ga., DO NOT go up against a new gunner with a 20ga 1100 on the trap birds. Your clock will be summarily cleaned.

Gas operated automatic absorbs perceptively over 60% of the recoil and/or spreads it out over a greater time. With low-base "field loads", recoil in this gun can be easily tolerated even by a young teenager

+1 to semi-autos

There are 2 more options: the Knoxx recoil-reducing stock (only for 12ga for now, back for 20ga later this year) and/or recoil pad (Supercell or Limbsaver). With those 2, even a pump 870 in 20ga is a sponge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top