JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a new rifle this christmas and looking for a place near by that I can make a mile long shot. I have been to all the local ranges/outdoor spots and douglas ridge is the longest at a 1000 yrds but my goal is a mile. If you know of any places please let me know.

Finding a place too shoot that far is not easy at all. Douglas Ridge with 1000 yards one day a week is even kind of a gift to most long range shooters.

How far are you willing to drive?

5Rpainted.jpg

$1200 on the optic, and about $2500 on the rifle.

I did mine in capitol forest (olympia wa) it was worth the drive.

Just keep in mind that shooting "...within, from, along, across, or down roads and trails is prohibited" on any DNR lands in Washington state*.There's no provision for it being OK to shoot across a trail that's 500 feet below you at the bottom of a valley. Finding a straight mile in Capitol Forest that doesn't cross a road or trail and has an unobstructed view of the target would be ... challenging. Also, you have to have an earthen backstop. That's less of a problem.

Will you get caught? Probably not. There are currently NINE (9) DNR police officers for the entire state. However, I shoot pretty regularly at some of the pits, and they check in pretty often. Caught or not, it's pretty damned dangerous, unless you can absolutely guarantee there's no one downrange. Pretty hard to do through a mile of forested, hilly terrain.

*from a handout given to me Saturday by the DNR officer at the C-Line Low Bank pit near Cap. Peak. It cites RCW 43.12 and WAC 332-52.

Just keep in mind that shooting "...within, from, along, across, or down roads and trails is prohibited" on any DNR lands in Washington state*.There's no provision for it being OK to shoot across a trail that's 500 feet below you at the bottom of a valley. Finding a straight mile in Capitol Forest that doesn't cross a road or trail and has an unobstructed view of the target would be ... challenging. Also, you have to have an earthen backstop. That's less of a problem. <SNIP>

Excellent points! This reinforces the importance of having your shooting dope for shots from 100 to 1000 yards at a specific elevation/humidity/temperature before they go to a new range and try even further. Otherwise you are just flinging lead down range with little knowledge of where it is headed.

I agree with the above points.
Go east..
I can think of a few spots on the west side that a 600 yard shot can be made across canyons.
But 1 mile is a different story.
I hate people that piss on my fire, but a mile takes lots of money, and even more research per your gun, scope, bullet.
But good night, I hope you hit that target.

Hey, I also have a 110 ba in 338LM Ive got a place to shoot 1300 and 1735 yards 45 mins outside Oregon City. Pm me and we can talk about it if your interested maxracer.

Mike

If you have smart phone, try STRELOK ballistic calculator. If you enter your dope correctly it will get you very close at any range. I've tested it out to 1835 yards and except for a bad wind call it was within 24 inches on my first shot. I use it routinely at closer ranges to perfection. Very handy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top