JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a couple thousand Rainier 180grn RNFP 40 S&W bullets and want to use Accurant No7 or No5 that I have pounds of. Trouble is I can't seem to find any loads for it on AmmoGuide or any of my load books. The Rainier bullet seems to be to new for my old powder.. Any help? Or do I just go buy some newer powder for the newer type bullets.. Thanks so much. I have spent way to many hours looking for load data for this round and Rainier has nothing on their web site that helps..Thanks Again

I'm with you 1000%. Lacking load data for any type of plated bullet for #7, I'd figure I have enough bullets to justify a powder purchase. Powder is the cheap part, especially compared to blowing something up. :s0155:

The closest I can find is 185 gr lead semi wadcutters (SWC) and that wouldn't make me sleep well at nights. While it's generally considered safe to use (start with) the data for a heavier bullet of the same type, I'd never wing it with a totally different type of bullet.

Just me, I'd ask Rainer for a recommendation.

$.02

Im sure you have seen this:
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

From Accurate's site I saw this:
No.5 180 BRY HP 5.8 Grains 849fps 6.5Grains 965fps 33,600psi 1.125COL

Using #5 Powder and a Berry's (Plated also) bullet HP vs. RN but I would think 5.8 grains would be a good starting point.

Also found this:
http://www.reloadammo.com/40loads.htm
180 grain Lead (Redline Truncated Cone, Cast
Bullseye 5.1 gr. 970 FPS
AA No. 5 6.3 gr. ----- (Load of Marshall Tresaugue)

Shows a 180 grain lead with 6.3 grains of #5.

Good info. See, ask Rainier. :s0155:

Now, using Rainier's recommendation that he reduce the amount for lead bullets by 10%, if he uses #5's minimum figure, he'll actually be starting with Rainier's max, approximately?

Dang, here's where a chrony comes in handy. Sneak up on it. They do tell you in the chart what the
speed should be. :s0155:

Now, using Rainier's recommendation that he reduce the amount for lead bullets by 10%, if he uses #5's minimum figure, he'll actually be starting with Rainier's max, approximately?

If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%.

180 grain Lead (Redline Truncated Cone, Cast
Bullseye 5.1 gr. 970 FPS
AA No. 5 6.3 gr. ----- (Load of Marshall Tresaugue)

That sounds like a good load. I think I will work that one up and give it a try.. Thanks you guys..

I just checked Lee's 2nd edition and found this for .40 S&W under 180grn copper plated. He lists Copper jacketed and copper plated separately and if your interested the 180 jacketed for the same two powders are roughly 1/2 grn higher across the board.

Accur #5 Start 5.8grn max 6.5grn (33,600psi) min OAL 1.125
Accur #7 start 7.4grn max 8.2grn (33,700psi) min OAL 1.125

I hope this helps
Disclaimer : I have not tried this load and I have dyslexia some days :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class