JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I been wanting one of these for years but every time I seem to find one, somethjing seems to come up. I found one on GB today, all matching for 1,200 wich I think is expensive but I see non matching going for more. Now. I know almost nothing about them and you all know its hard to really know anything you get from GB until you receive it. Anyhoo, here is the GB page, let me know what you think.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559905953

While doing a little research, the insignia on the stock looks alot like Das Reich. No idea if its period or done after the war.

The bolt handle looks "off". Not sure I agree with the ad saying its a sniper or sporting bolt , just looks" bubba "to me.
As for the Das Reich carved in the stock it looks newer to my eyes.
SS marked 98K's are rare and many are faked.
Not saying that this is one faked ...But having owned many 98's and 98k's , this offering seems a bit dicey.
Andy

The bolt handle looks "off". Not sure I agree with the ad saying its a sniper or sporting bolt , just looks" bubba "to me.
As for the Das Reich carved in the stock it looks newer to my eyes.
SS marked 98K's are rare and many are faked.
Not saying that this is one faked ...But having owned many 98's and 98k's , this offering seems a bit dicey.
Andy

Thanks for the input, I was also wary when I saw no bids and 370 views
Also, the bolt thing, I know I have heard that late war rifles can sometimes be just a mess of parts, but if the gun is " all matching ", why would the bolt be off.

Not a 98 Karabiner expert by any means but all those "Waffenamt" markings do look excessive and added later, just my gut "curator" spidey sense. It is a "Das Reich" SS Division symbol but seeing it on a rifle seems odd to me.

Brutus Out

There's a good chance this has a shot out barrel and is just a wall hanger right?
So if that's the case and it's a "gefalschte Gewehr" or fake, then what's the value?
A few hundred or so?

With a good bore, it's a $450 rifle to me. The handle has been sporterized. Chances are good the cartouche are not legit. So to have the bolt either replaced or rewelded is a hundred or two, and then it won't be original. So I would pay $400+ for a shooter, but I wouldn't give him collector value for it.

Anyone else think the person holding the gun in the photo was there as a distractions?o_O

Here's an ad that's on Armslist.
The guy is in the Oregon City area.

"I offer a complete military configuration Yugo/ German 98k 8mm mauser. I would rate this rifle NRA good to very good. The bolt is mis-matched and the barrel is shiny. I have extras that include a spam can of 340rds of 8mm Romanian,ww2 refurbished wood handled bayonet with scabard, wolf spring kit, repro sling,repro cleaning rod and a new bore brush. Will consider a trade for a Russian and or Yugo sks in it's original configuration. I have over $700.00 invested in this rifle and the cash price of $500.00 is firm. Buyer will pay the FFL transfer fees. Transfer will take place at the Oregon City Fishermans. All state and federal rules apply. Also sorry for the crap photo."
5503706_01_yugo_german_98k_8mm_640.jpg

Here's an ad that's on Armslist.
The guy is in the Oregon City area.

"I offer a complete military configuration Yugo/ German 98k 8mm mauser. I would rate this rifle NRA good to very good. The bolt is mis-matched and the barrel is shiny. I have extras that include a spam can of 340rds of 8mm Romanian,ww2 refurbished wood handled bayonet with scabard, wolf spring kit, repro sling,repro cleaning rod and a new bore brush. Will consider a trade for a Russian and or Yugo sks in it's original configuration. I have over $700.00 invested in this rifle and the cash price of $500.00 is firm. Buyer will pay the FFL transfer fees. Transfer will take place at the Oregon City Fishermans. All state and federal rules apply. Also sorry for the crap photo."
View attachment 295028
That ad needs a cute chick in it.

Oh good grief that one hurts my eyes to look at! Drago seems to be getting more creative.
Das Reich emblem carved in the stock is like the sprinkles on top of the turd...

You would be much better off gettin the one @jbett98 posted up..

Not a very good collector and probably not a good shooter, I would pass on that one! The Real SS stamp is two slant ZZ's over a small cartouch of a skull and crossed bones on the side of the receiver ring, and never on top of the receiver ring! This rifle looks like just a standard poor Waffen mittleworken Grade Mauser with Iron Eagel roll marks. Even a Z marked receiver isn't that rare and unless it was a really good rifle, I would pass! SS stocks were also rarely marked after '42 470%20DH.jpg

A good Yugo is not that bad a rifle! They were well built, and accurate, and held up just as well as a German factory built one. It's all in how they were stored after that counts! You can still find good 98's and "K" series if you take the time and scourer local shops. Now is a good time to look, most WW2 vets have passed on now, and the bring home rifles don't interest the younger shooters much! Have fun with your new Yugo!

I liked my Yugo! It was, as posted above, accurate, obviously reliable and a very slick action.
Mine was an Israeli convert to .308, what caliber is yours?
Hope you enjoy it, mrblond!:)

I have three factory oddball 98's. One is a BYN "Oberndorff" in 7x57 that was fitted with the ski jump rear sight and bent bolt handle, A Steyr Daimler Punch that was sporterised and I converted it back, and a early Steyr "Mountain Karbiner" in 7.92 mm with factory installed Conical flash hider like the MG43

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top