JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We used to exclusively go up Mcgowan Creek Rd. But right now there is some logging going on and everywhere you look there are no shooting signs. I have also heard rumor that the area is being patrolled and that people firearms are being confiscated. I have not seen this, so take it for what it is worth.

Please post your suggestions!

You could join Emerald Empire Gun Club its on the same road.

The cost is about 170.00 a year but you can work that off if you volunteer.
Here's the number 541-747-6666 call them for more info.

I've been there, and it's ok...except for the Chinese kids with their tacti-cool AR15's smoking like chimneys...

I guess what I don't like about that place is that it is paper targets only, and that they are all shot up. This makes it hard to see how well you are shooting. Do they let people walk out there to charge the targets?

You are thinking of the Public range I don't shoot there...............to much BS
The Range officers should change the targets out every hour or so but it really depends on how many people are shooting.

When you join you can shoot in the private range 100/200 yard rifle,Shotgun,Pistol,and a muti purpose .22/center fire handgun range that is got alot of steel targets for anyone to use.

I just went to the BLM office in Springfield last week (3106 Pierce Pkwy, Springfield, OR). The ladies behind the desk were real friendly and even gave me a HUGE map showing the public land in Lane County for free or they have more detailed maps for a couple bucks. They weren't sure where the specific "no shooting" areas were, but said one of the officers might be able to help when they came back to the office. I didn't have time to wait that day so I can't say if the officers would be much help if they were there. Have you looked at the Oregon BLM website? If you go to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Oregon/Washington BLM and look under recreation it gives you the guidelines for shooting on public land. Between that info, a good map and possibly getting to talk to one of the officers you should be able to get an idea of places to scope out this summer. Good luck.

Last Edited:
Let us know what you find out. I have been going up McGowan creek all my life.
I usually just go up the hill and turn left at the first fork
in the road and there are a couple spots on the right. I have seen no shooting
signs pop up over the years. They are called safety zones and
spray painted on the road. It does not look official though.
The place is trashed and messy. I bring extra trash bags to clean up trash that is the main
reason for no shooting areas IMHO.

A friend of mine lives in Junction and when I go over there we head to a spot in the hills above Monroe. Don't ask specifics because he is usually driving and I cannot remember exactly where it is but we pass through an area of nice rural properties, then past a large clear cut and up to the area. Some of you may know where it is.

A friend of mine lives in Junction and when I go over there we head to a spot in the hills above Monroe. Don't ask specifics because he is usually driving and I cannot remember exactly where it is but we pass through an area of nice rural properties, then past a large clear cut and up to the area. Some of you may know where it is.

If you don't mind the drive there used to be lots of places up HIGHPASS RD. west of Junction city. You have to drive about 15-20 miles before you reach the edge of the BLM area. You might need 4WD to get to some of the areas. When I was in high school I lived up that way and we always heard shooting going on up the road. Mapquest will acually show some of the larger BLM roads up there, but watch out for logging trucks.

Anyone know if there are any spots up Wolf Creek Road worth checking out? Trying to find a spot West/Southwest of Eugene.

There's a couple of good spots at the very top of wolf creek, just be mindful of your back drop.

If I'm given the choice (and I am) I'll choose izaak walton every time.
It's inexpensive, clean, and i'm usually the only person out there.

I've never cared for emerald. I've been there a few times but I have no interest in returning.
Too crowded and restricted for my tastes.

Wolf creek rd there's a few spots up past the fire house.

Junction almost sounds like may be going the back way out to the rock pit off hwy 36 but could be wrong.

Highpass turns into Horton which connects to HWY 36. Lots of ways to get up that way so you really need a map so as to not get turned around.

Last Edited:
Do you have any info on izaak walton? The webpage is very vague on things like price, hours, what kind of shooting they support, and do you have to join a membership to use the range?

<broken link removed>

You do have to join to shoot there.
It's a gated facility with no real staff. When you join you pay $55 to join their league and $45 per year to the local range. The $45 includes a key to the gate.
Guests are free, but that doesnt mean load up the party bus and come on down.
I believe you're allowed to shoot from ~8am to ~7pm or until sundown. Whichever comes first.
There are 2 pistol pits and a rifle range that has target placements from 25 - 200 yards.
The rules say paper targets only, but they dont make a fuss as long as you clean up after yourself, dont harm the facility, and are respectful of others.
I usually just print out some paper targets at home, but I've shot steel targets out there many times.

The first time I went out there, there were two other people besides me. That was the busiest i've ever seen the range.
It does get busy on sight in days and when they host tournaments, but those days are listed on their calendar and usually scheduled well in advance.

There's a place in Fall Creek I've been to a few times but I can't really give directions/road info. The first time I was driven there and just remember the route. It's a bit of a drive too, takes about 45mins-1hour to get there from West Eugene.

Izzak wall ton has 4 pistol bays aND there is a steel at the 200 yard rifle berm. You can pay an extra 25 bucks and get a key to the steal shed. If you want to join just message me and I can point you in the right direction.

There's a couple of good spots at the very top of wolf creek, just be mindful of your back drop.

If I'm given the choice (and I am) I'll choose izaak walton every time.
It's inexpensive, clean, and i'm usually the only person out there.

I've never cared for emerald. I've been there a few times but I have no interest in returning.
Too crowded and restricted for my tastes.

Restricted because there are a ton of liability and other concerns operating a public range.

It's been decades (as in 3+ decades) since I lived in Eugene, but when I was in college there I used to go up into the Coburg hills. Problem at that time there was dirt bikers up there. I used to also go into the hills behind LCC and do some deer hunting before going to classes, but I am pretty sure they have restricted that now - there might even be houses back there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top