JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an issue with an AR that involves either a canted front sight or barrel nut that isn't indexed correctly (or both). I want to install a handguard with a picatinny rail that will abut up to the rail on the upper to make one continuous rail and need everythig to come together and match up perfectly.

It isn't a difficult job but it does require careful attention to alignment.

Thanks.

There are a few bolt on rails that don't require the need to remove the barrel or barrel nut. You may need to cut off the delta ring and spring though. It's totally a non gunsmith job. Or you can wrench the barrel off, also not really a gunsmith job. Then attach any of the rails out there yourself.

If not. My vote goes to our local gunsmith expert. @Velzey

What kind of handgaurd do you have? Anti rotation pin should align perfect without any error

A two piece drop in Troy Enhanced Battle Rail was tried. Something was off as the rail didn't align either against the top rail of the upper or where it meets the front sight. We don't think it's the rail as a different one was tried with the exact same issue.

There are a few bolt on rails that don't require the need to remove the barrel or barrel nut. You may need to cut off the delta ring and spring though. It's totally a non gunsmith job. Or you can wrench the barrel off, also not really a gunsmith job. Then attach any of the rails out there yourself.

If not. My vote goes to our local gunsmith expert. @Velzey
One man's "totally a non gunsmith job" is another man's total gunsmith job. Velzey is in Estacada. I'm looking for someone local in Vancouver but thank you.

Good luck with everything you have going on.
Hopefully someone can get it sorted out for ya.

What you have going on sounds odd, and I'm of no help.
So I'll step out of your post.

Good luck with everything you have going on.
Hopefully someone can get it sorted out for ya.

What you have going on sounds odd, and I'm of no help.
So I'll step out of your post.
Thank you. If anyone else knows any good gunsmiths, please let me know.

I have an issue with an AR that involves either a canted front sight or barrel nut that isn't indexed correctly (or both). I want to install a handguard with a picatinny rail that will abut up to the rail on the upper to make one continuous rail and need everythig to come together and match up perfectly.

It isn't a difficult job but it does require careful attention to alignment.

Thanks.

This has nothing to do with your barrel nut, that rail is drop-in non-free float just like standard plastic handguards and does not align or attach to the barrel nut in any way.

With your handguards off, you should be able sight down the top of upper receiver and tell if the FSP is canted. If it is canted, I'd blow off trying straighten it. If it is not serviceable as a sight, I'd cut down make a LPGB out it then install a freefloat rail and call it a day.

A two piece drop in Troy Enhanced Battle Rail was tried. Something was off as the rail didn't align either against the top rail of the upper or where it meets the front sight. We don't think it's the rail as a different one was tried with the exact same issue.

I wouldn't expect alignment miracles from this rail simply because of the nature of the design. It is non-free floating, has no anti-rotation tabs or bolt up to the barrel nut like the KAC and DD free float rails. It will have a little play in it until screwed together, concentrate matching up the top rear of the rail to the receiver and let the front land where ever, it may not be perfectly lined up with a front sight that is not canted.

Silly question, you have a round front handguard cap?

One man's "totally a non gunsmith job" is another man's total gunsmith job.

That rail is truly a "totally a non gunsmith job", it's just kind of a pain in the butt.

Last Edited:
I no longer have the rail and didn't take any pictures of the issue but in the course of searching the internet for a diagnosis, I did find pictures someone else posted on a forum of the exact same issue which looks exactly like my issue.

RAIL.jpg RAIL2.jpg

Simple fix. Toss that POS rail, drive out the tapered pins holding your FSB, remove it and the gas tube. Trim the FSB and file the edges to make it look nice, paint it, put it back on and install a proper free float tube. Problem solved.

It's like changing a tire on the car. Nothing works unless one jacks it up and removes the lugnuts. Then all of a sudden it makes sense.

Not trying to be a dick, but this whole process is maybe 1/2 hours worth of work for anyone with any measure of mechanical aptitude.

2 things you will need though, well actually 3; a vice, a receiver block and a barrel wrench. There are plenty of those around and none of this is 'perfectionist work'

Brimstone migjt be able to help you!
I've never seen their work but hear good things about them

There's also NWcustom in Vancouver.
I've only done transfers there but they may be able to help you OP.

I no longer have the rail and didn't take any pictures of the issue but in the course of searching the internet for a diagnosis, I did find pictures someone else posted on a forum of the exact same issue which looks exactly like my issue.

View attachment 584403 View attachment 584404

Looks like a slightly under indexed barrel nut.
Probably an easy fix unless it's stupid tight.

Not a big job st all.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top