JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there, I have an WWII era M1 Carbine that seems to have a problem with it. Whenever I fire the gun the second round isn't chambered properly, that is, a new round is chambered but the action only comes about 80% forward so I have to carefully move the action back and forth again to properly chamber the new round, or just chamber a third round by pulling the action all the way back and forwards again, thus ejecting the still good second round. If that was an inadequate description I would be happy to explain further, I was wondering if anyone knows a gunsmith in the area who can help me with the carbine. I've been told the problem could just be that the spring is old.

Thanks

depends on what your area is (update your location, "America" doesn't hack it) need lots more info too. I have owned and built many carbines. I even have a few parts still kicking around.

Before you take the issue to a gunsmith, start by stripping the rifle as completely as you are comfortable. Clean and de-grease all the parts, and then properly grease/oil/lubricate all of the parts per the original military specifications. You should be able to find a manual for the gun on-line if you don't already have one. If that does not work, then consider the gunsmith route.

Clean it and lube it properly before buying new parts. In my experience gunsmithing, a good portion of problems similar to those you describe having can be solved by a proper cleaning and lubricating.

Clean it and lube it properly before buying new parts. In my experience gunsmithing, a good portion of problems similar to those you describe having can be solved by a proper cleaning and lubricating.

I tend to agree, however the M1 (the Garand at least) is very sensitive to worn recoil springs, so I just replace them as soon as I can, and for $20, it is a pretty decent insurance.

check your gas piston it may be sticking in the out position. get a wrench and remove it, clean it and the cylinder. Common mistake is to clean a carbine right side up, it allows cleaning solvent to flow into the gas port and gum up the piston.

Hi Javier
If you need help I have worked on gun. M1 M14 Mini 14 and AR15 and so on. Will give you a hand. You can bring it over I live in HappyValley 172nd Ave SE Just East of 205.
If I can help PM me.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Field stripping the M1 carbine is easy enough a 12 year old could figure it out (that's when I got my first M1).

It does sound like you have a sticky gas piston, for which you need the special M1 carbine gas piston wrench... Numrich arms probably still has them for $5-10, while you're at it, I would also suggest ordering the extractor tool, and a spare extractor (only a few more dollars) as if your extractor isn't cracked, it will be some day, and you ABSOLUTELY need the tool to execute a change on this part. These guns, and their parts are not getting more common, or cheaper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top