JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I am looking for a shoulder holster. Not sure which weapon I would carry in it but am looking for styles and costs for now. Probably leather but would want it to be thinner than heavier.

Makers or sites to find them?
Anyone have an preference for horizontal or vertical?

I have a Tagua ($130) for my Kimber CDP in horizontal.
  • I am pleased with the quality.
  • Includes two mag sleeves.
  • Took a few days of adjustment to get it "right".
  • The thumb break is still a hindrance, i.e. the snap holds on tight.
  • Fits the gun well. Needs a large coat for concealment. Not sure if vertical would be much better.
  • Can also holster a Govt 1911, but in horizontal, too bulky.

Armadillo Holster's are good for under $100 and being all leather, however my only complaint is that I should have gone with vertical instead of horizontal , for my body type even with a good coat a fullsize 1911 would print. Galco is good too,you will love your shoulder holster if you get a decent one and adjust it right. When set up right it will be comfy all day while wearing a fullsize gun. I have experience with a third unknown brand(couldn't find any marking that I recall) which came with a S&W model 59 which was a great shoulder holster very thin rough leather but it worked well.

So I am looking for a shoulder holster. Not sure which weapon I would carry in it but am looking for styles and costs for now. Probably leather but would want it to be thinner than heavier.

Makers or sites to find them?
Anyone have an preference for horizontal or vertical?

I tried several decades back, all but one ended up relegated to the junk boxes. Galco Miami Classic is the only one I have stuck with. Have used both vertical and horizontal, prefer horizontal as it's easier to conceal.

I have worn a few of types of shoulder holsters. My first was an early Bianchi vertical X15 like Stomper mentioned. Universal fit, it could have held a good grilled cheese sammich just as well as the model 66 at the time.

After that, I had a Ken Null City Slicker. Sort of an early kydex in all White construction, which worked well over a white T-shirt. It was really like wearing nothing. I literally forgot I had a harness around...until moving faster than a quick walk... and the piece started slapping you in the ribs. It was more "upside down" orientation than horizontal as far as butt presentation of the firearm.

Lastly, I've used a Mitch Rosen all leather horizontal shoulder holster. Super Uber quality. It's one of those pieces that just glows. The hand forming is immaculate.

I've enjoyed trying out these different models. But my go to CCW method funny enough is more than not, the "Levi Strauss 501 holster." Yep- Levi's designed this specifically for gun toters. There are two holster pockets on the front, and two accessory pockets on the back. I carry a spare mag, pocket knife, and a cell phone in those. Oh....and this holster system I like comes with a free pair of pants!

I HAVE to get help for this gear hoarding thing I do! LOL! Best thing is try it on along with your covering garment and see which one moves with you the best. As I mentioned, the flopping around into the ribs got to be too much for me for daily use. Another challenge can be that reholstering is pretty much a two handed commitment with many models.

Cheers!

Rick

Go with a Galco Miami Classic, put a S&W 4506 in it, get some unconstructed blazers in pastel colors and pretend your Sonny Crocket back in the 80's...

I also tried several and only found the Miami Classic to be comfortable with a Combat Commander...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top