JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there,
I'm new to Northwest Firearms, and while I used to go out target practicing with friends near Olympia, WA, I still haven't found a convenient spot to go near Portland. I was going to just go drive around east of gresham and east of Oxbow park and scope out gravel pits I can see on a map to see if they are accessible, but I thought I would check here too. I am definitely interested in finding places that aren't trashed and am committed to leaving them cleaner than I find them, and following all public lands rules, like paper targets only, and being highly aware of fire risks, etc..
Does anyone know the rules in the Bull Run Watershed management area?
Any other leads?
Thanks!

Hi there,
I'm new to Northwest Firearms, and while I used to go out target practicing with friends near Olympia, WA, I still haven't found a convenient spot to go near Portland. I was going to just go drive around east of gresham and east of Oxbow park and scope out gravel pits I can see on a map to see if they are accessible, but I thought I would check here too. I am definitely interested in finding places that aren't trashed and am committed to leaving them cleaner than I find them, and following all public lands rules, like paper targets only, and being highly aware of fire risks, etc..
Does anyone know the rules in the Bull Run Watershed management area?
Any other leads?
Thanks!
Hi Leon, I'm not familiar with the Bull Run Watershed Management area for public land shooting, but you may find a place on the Trash No Land interactive map (Home Page). Zoom in to an area you'd like to visit and click on the Shooter Icon. It will give you info and GPS to the location.

Mt Hood Nat Forest is not so good for now, as they have shut down all shooting along Hwy 224 East of Estacada. Also, the NF45 Rd, after Hillock Burn Rd, is still closed pending public safety improvement work due to the fires in that area. So, Mt Hood isn't much good except perhaps the Wildcat site.

Your idea of searching the maps and exploring is a good option. On the FAQ page of Trash No Land is info on how to find a good place to shoot, but it does take some research and exploring.

Thanks for helping save our places to shoot by cleaning up as you play! As I always say; "Stewardship Keeps It Open"!

Bill

I second Cogs points.
As a newcomer to the area, I will share a few thoughts.
There just aren't any convenient places East of Portland anymore.
Reasons:
Fires have knocked out the last few remaining areas.
As @Cogs mentions, the Clackamas river area did have some spots, not any more. When I heard that the highway had been opened up to vehicle traffic I immediately took a recon trip. Nuttin left.
The infamous "31 Pit" is now a heavy equipment storage lot. Memaloose, which was a good spot was hit by a fire years ago and closed at the Bridge (forever..my take).
Indian Henry 1&2 don't even seem to have the access road anymore. I will point out that none of these fires have been tied to target shooting, but. "It's a believable story so let's go with that" The Memaloose fire I understand was caused by an idiot shooting off fireworks, but responsible shooters are made to pay for that as well (just cuz).
Decades back, there were a couple shooting areas just off I-84 along Larch Mountain Road (Corbett) close to Portland and easy navigate without a 4×4. They were lost because of three things.
One: Trash, before cleanups were a thing.
Two: Out of staters with fat wallets discovered the area and overdeveloped with million $ mansions, forcing us out.
And numero three: A popular mag dump pit known the "Gallery" became a crime scene when a couple teenagers took dad's SP1 AR up there and immediately got ìto a pizzing match with an old timer trying to sight in his hunting rifle.
Score:
1 oldtimer dead.
2 idiot kids in prison..
3 Last truly convenient shooting area with a paved road, gated and posted by LE forever. That served to eliminate complaints from the new "locals" That leaves us with no shooting areas on the East side.
(Of course, if you absolutely have to shoot on the East side..The Portland area politicians have created a free style range on the East Side...LOCATION: Anywhere East of 82nd Ave. HOURS: Anytime between 10pm and 5am.

Moral to the story:
"Go West Young Man".

Last Edited:
Unless they changed something, the Mt. Hood National forest is complete closed to target shooting. You're best off getting a range membership.

Unless they changed something, the Mt. Hood National forest is complete closed to target shooting. You're best off getting a range membership.
Better get on the waiting list now.
TCGC is looking at waiters next month.
I've been on the list almost a year.

Yep you are right, if you don't mind the club environment and the issues that come with them. Eternally long waiting lists, high initiation fees and dues, you are often forced into shooting next to someone you don't know or trust. I prefer to shoot with friends and family in the outdoors, that I already pay taxes for.
Structured clubs to me feel like a time when I had to be on the range, not necessarily because I wanted to be there.

Each to his own.

Last Edited:
Yep you are right, if you don't mind the club environment and the issues that come with them. Eternally long waiting lists, high initiation fees and dues, you are often forced into shooting next to someone you don't know or trust. I prefer to shoot with friends and family in the outdoors that I already pay taxes for.
Each to his own.
Public shooting has been closed due to the unsavory amongst us that leave lots of garbage.

I envy your choice of an area to live in. I wish I had that choice (ya, it's not my choice to live in the Portland cesspool, can you believe it).
I've never understood the logic behind banning shooting but allowing hunting in the Mt Hood forest. Not that logic is required up here anymore.
I'd love to see an initiative petition to require an open shooting area (like Wolf Creek) to be established in the Mt Hood Forrest. The petition could be spiffed up with terms like "Safety, vandalism reduction, crime prevention, environmentally responsible" etc.
Now if we could figure out a way to use terms like.."Gender Neutral" "Zero Carbon Emissions" and "It takes a village" this thing would pass in Portland.

I envy your choice of an area to live in. I wish I had that choice (ya, it's not my choice to live in the Portland cesspool, can you believe it).
I've never understood the logic behind banning shooting but allowing hunting in the Mt Hood forest. Not that logic is required up here anymore.
I'd love to see an initiative petition to require an open shooting area (like Wolf Creek) to be established in the Mt Hood Forrest. The petition could be spiffed up with terms like "Safety, vandalism reduction, crime prevention, environmentally responsible" etc.
Now if we could figure out a way to use terms like.."Gender Neutral" "Zero Carbon Emissions" and "It takes a village" this thing would pass in Portland.
They do have an option for putting in a shooting range by a nonprofit, however the requirements are stringent and the range needs to be manned full time. It would end up not really being a free place to shoot and would be tough to keep it going and maintain.

I'd rather see an area that is improved but still dispersed, like Wolf Creek.

PS: my AR identifies as a he, even though I refer to it as she. Does that count?

They do have an option for putting in a shooting range by a nonprofit, however the requirements are stringent and the range needs to be manned full time. It would end up not really being a free place to shoot and would be tough to keep it going and maintain.

PS: my AR identifies as a he, even though I refer to it as she. Does that count?

: my AR identifies as a he, even though I refer to it as she. Does that count?
Whatever empties your mags Cog :rolleyes:

I agree, I would like to see minimal or no government involvement as well.
BUT...To to me it seems that a cookie has to be offered somehow.. I don't like the thought, but that is reality here in the peoples republic. Politicians rule here for money and votes. Leave them out of the game with nothing to show and they will feed the leftist power base just to cover their collective arses. Give them a chance to pose as a big unifying force... they might take the bait to get the extra media face time. "It's in the packaging".

Wolf Creek was a success because the leftist Politicians were napping, not because they supported it. That may not happen again, especially when talking about a location "owned" by mountain bikers, hikers and shroom hunters.

Is Mt. Forest still slated to open up October 10th?
FOREST ORDER NO. 06-06-00-22-03 states "This Order becomes effective on August 10, 2022, at 12:01 am (0001) and will remain in effect through October 10, 2022, or until rescinded.

This includes the restriction for discharging a firearm except for hunting. The way I read it they could have rescinded it early, which they didn't, but it will be out of effect after October 10. So yes, MHNF should be open to firearm use then. Unless they put out another order extending restrictions.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top