JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to take my boy fishing and figure that might be the easiest for just grabbing our poles and goiing out on a whim.

I live in SE Vancouver.

Thanks for any ideas.

Washougal has a boat launch and dock that you can fish from. Mostly caught smallmouth bass on rubber grubs (4 inch) in natural colors. Marine Park Boat launch and the cove to the east of it are also a good place to catch bass from the bank. Always had good luck throwing topwaters early in the mornings.

Battleground Lake is a good place to fish from the bank for trout. I haven't checked for regulation changes, but I would just plunk with a slip sinker, swivel, 3 to 4 feet of leader, a size 6 Gamakatzu single egg hood, and two Berkley Gulp! Eggs in chartreuse or green.

The Bonneville Dam area can be pretty good. I've caught bass, squawfish, trout, and shad from the rocks below the deadline downstream from the dam.

On the Oregon side, there are several ponds along I-84 west of Bonneville. Cascade Locks has good fishing. You'd have to buy an Oregon License. When I lived in Vantucky, I'd always buy an OR license. The boat launch under the St. Johns Bridge on the Willamette was always productive.

Washougal has a boat launch and dock that you can fish from. Mostly caught smallmouth bass on rubber grubs (4 inch) in natural colors. Marine Park Boat launch and the cove to the east of it are also a good place to catch bass from the bank. Always had good luck throwing topwaters early in the mornings.

Battleground Lake is a good place to fish from the bank for trout. I haven't checked for regulation changes, but I would just plunk with a slip sinker, swivel, 3 to 4 feet of leader, a size 6 Gamakatzu single egg hood, and two Berkley Gulp! Eggs in chartreuse or green.

The Bonneville Dam area can be pretty good. I've caught bass, squawfish, trout, and shad from the rocks below the deadline downstream from the dam.

On the Oregon side, there are several ponds along I-84 west of Bonneville. Cascade Locks has good fishing. You'd have to buy an Oregon License. When I lived in Vantucky, I'd always buy an OR license. The boat launch under the St. Johns Bridge on the Willamette was always productive.

Is that Steamboat Landing in Washougal and is Marine Park in Vancouver? You said it was to the east and the only Marine Park I know of is in Vancouver to the west.

Is that Steamboat Landing in Washougal and is Marine Park in Vancouver? You said it was to the east and the only Marine Park I know of is in Vancouver to the west.

The cove is east of the launch is what I meant. The launch is in Vancouver, just a couple miles east of where SR14 meets I-5. The dock at the launch holds fish. There isnt much between that dock and the cove, but if you get there early enough, some fish might be cruising along the shore looking for food.

The cove is east of the launch is what I meant. The launch is in Vancouver, just a couple miles east of where SR14 meets I-5. The dock at the launch holds fish. There isnt much between that dock and the cove, but if you get there early enough, some fish might be cruising along the shore looking for food.

Ok. I'll check out the cove to the east of the launch at Marine Park in Vacouver and also try Steamboat Landing in Washougal.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)

Ok. I'll check out the cove to the east of the launch at Marine Park in Vacouver and also try Steamboat Landing in Washougal.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)

Those areas are mostly smallmouth rich. This means using lures like Rapalas, crankbaits, or even spinners early in the day. They are sight hunters, so aren't as active as largemouth during twilight and dark. This also means they can be caught all day. As the day goes on, they will move off the bank and out to the first major drop off, usually in 10+ feet of water. Since the Columbia has current, look for places to cast that give you a combination of depth and something that breaks current like dock supports, big rocks, bridge pilings, etc. This is when grubs and tubes, rigged on jig heads or Texas style, and drop shot rigs with a finesse worm are really effective. The drop shot rig and tube do better in current than the grub because they sink faster.

Use this jig head in 1/8 to 3/16 oz in a tube by inserting it up the azz end of the tube until the lead is up in the tip, then poke the eyelet through.

55A963CC-7B6F-43BB-98DE-D75EF4BD00FE.jpeg
4633D041-87A9-46B7-957D-B3CC02BD63D2.jpeg

Use this jig head in 1/8 to 1/4 oz on a grub by inserting the hook in the tip and feeding the
grub up the shank and to the jighead. Have the hook and blade of the tail line up for best results.

F1AD0475-C695-426D-8309-9A83EECEF258.jpeg
97A466A2-3F7B-45C1-B230-D27644E7EB3D.jpeg

Drop shot rigs are a pain to rig, but are really easy to fish and catch lots of fish. Youtube is your friend.

6BAA9161-B3E0-4F0B-9A60-1749CDB6068F.jpeg

Favorite drop shot worm is a KVD Dream Shot:

08FD0CEA-A2D8-433A-B38C-70A7F8212240.jpeg

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm npt much of a fisherman so this is all very educational.

If I use a floatation bobber, how deep should the bait be? Or should I not use a bobber?

A big Thank You to No_Regerts for kindly taking the time to talk with me on the phone.

Some great people on this forum. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top