JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title says it all I am shipping a 2011 to Texas to sell to a buddy and so it has to go to a Texas FFL. Shipping UPS next day air is 130$ and I know having an FFL ship it is usually cheaper but I could not find a local FFL that would do it in the Hillsboro area, do any of you know of one?.

So why can't you ship directly to the Texas FFL? As long as you use a common carrier, you should be able to send it yourself without the sending FFL.

So why can't you ship directly to the Texas FFL? As long as you use a common carrier, you should be able to send it yourself without the sending FFL.
A handgun must ship via next day air UPS costing around 130-150$ USPS will not allow shipping handguns from a non ffl and Fedex will not ship guns from a non FFL either.

Ship My Gun ships handguns via UPS 2nd day air, but you will have to drop it off at a customer service center.
You box it, including a color copy front and back of your drivers license placed inside the box,.
Then pay the fee and print the label after you choose a preferred FFL on their list, (that speeds up the process).
I checked the going rate and without insurance, it's around $49.00 to Dallas, TX.
I've used them before and found it very easy and without issues, unless the package is being delivered to a non preferred FFL and then you will have a delay while SMG contacts the FFL and receives a copy of their license.

No ammo allowed in the box.

UPS HILLSBORO Customer Center
7230 NE CENTURY BLVD, HILLSBORO, OR, 97124-8639

curious, whats changed?
Was there some law or ruling passed or have all the carriers updated their policies?

As has been mentioned, I've used Tigard Pawn.

"Because we're a licensed FFL dealer, we're able to ship firearms through the US Postal Service.
You'll pay $25 for the first firearm, $15 additional, plus the cost of freight and insurance."

curious, whats changed?
Was there some law or ruling passed or have all the carriers updated their policies?
Sadly yes. Both common carriers are making it harder for the average joe to ship a hand gun any more. They are pushing back on it pretty hard. At this point its "almost" either use an FFL, or just not tell them its a gun. I am sure many still use the don't ask don't tell but, there is of course some risk doing it that way if they lose the damn thing.

Both UPS and FedEX changed policies (FedEx around Feb of this year, UPS earlier - not sure when). Will ONLY accept handguns for shipment from FFL. Even though federal regulations allow private parties to ship to FFL via private common carrier (UPS and FedEx), these two carriers have decided to NOT accept handgun shipments from private parties any longer.

I used to ship FedEx a lot. Not any more.

(And of course a private party cannot ship a handgun via USPS.)

I checked with a LGS (Local Gun Shop) in Gresham (Advance Firearms and Training) about a month ago. The gave me an estimate of about $50 - but final cost would depend on where it was shipping and the cost to them. But, they CAN ship via USPS.

Looks like you just have to check around and ask your LGSs.

Sadly yes. Both common carriers are making it harder for the average joe to ship a hand gun any more. They are pushing back on it pretty hard. At this point its "almost" either use an FFL, or just not tell them its a gun. I am sure many still use the don't ask don't tell but, there is of course some risk doing it that way if they lose the damn thing.
It's not against the law to privately send a handgun UPS Ground and not declaring it. It's against company shipping guidelines. However, you will have no grounds for an insurance claim. That $1,000 handgun disappears before delivery, you're out.

It's not against the law to privately send a handgun UPS Ground and not declaring it. It's against company shipping guidelines. However, you will have no grounds for an insurance claim. That $1,000 handgun disappears before delivery, you're out.
Yep, that's why I said there is some risk if they lose the damn thing. Not to mention you have to report it lost / stolen which is another PITA. Sadly its just the way it is now.

its against federal law. 18usc 922.

Im guessing this is why all the carriers changed their policy, too easy to just say its a "machine part".
Unless they passed some new law there is no law against sending a hand gun by common carrier as long as you are not trying to send a gun to someone or some place you can't. Are you talking about using USPS by chance?

its against federal law. 18usc 922.

Im guessing this is why all the carriers changed their policy, too easy to just say its a "machine part".
We are talking about sending it to an FFL holder. That is not against 18usc 922.

Licensed dealers can mail handguns through the USPS and mere mortals are restricted by law to rifles and shotguns only when mailing USPS.

When shipping via common carrier such as UPS or FedEx, ANYONE (FFL's and mortals) can choose any level of service they desire (Ground, 3 day, Next Day, Overnight, whatever) without violating Federal law. Of course, if non-FFL you declare it as a handgun, good luck with the shipping clerk processing it for Ground.

If the common carrier's tariffs (shipping policies) say handguns must go "Overnight" and you decide to ship "Ground" you risk getting denied for any insurance claim for loss, damage or theft..........because you violated their company policies, not Federal law. And that is shipping it to an FFL holder.

Last Edited:
actually were talking about not disclosing your gun to the shipping carrier.
per 18usc 922e
Im no legal eagle and these gun laws can be confusing to interpret but thats how I read it. Scroll down to "E"
"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped"

It says if you ship "to persons OTHER than......licensed dealers (i.e. FFL Holder)." So if I decide to send it to an FFL holder via Ground I don't have to declare anything. That may be against the carrier's policy of "Overnight" but I can sure choose to do so. It'll just be at my own risk with no insurance payout.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top