JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my opinion, you can't beat a Glock. A 23 is a really nice size. Then you have a tiny little 27 of a fullsize 22. There's also the even longer one than a 22 I think, but I don't know the model number. You cann get one for around 500 and get ammo too!

I'm still pretty novice to the handgun consumer thing myself. I just acquired a Springfield XDm 9mm and I'm reasonably happy with it (it's very accurate). But one thing that nags me slightly is whether my choice to buy a pistol with plastic major components is a good one. Most reports I read and hear seem to be positive about plastic guns, but I have a hard time kicking that little doubt I have about the strength of plastic compared to steel. I do like my XDm so far but below are some of the pros/cons I still think about.

steel pros? - strength, balance, durability in abusive conditions, others
cons? - heavier, higher cost for machining, rust w/ blued finish wear,
higher cost with stainless, others

plastic pros? - no corrosion, lighter, lower cost, others
cons? - more fragile in abusive conditions?, top heaviness of pistol,
others

p.s. If you need a smaller grip, I've found more options available with standard size plastic pistols than steel ones.

Glocks have been proven reliable and durable with their "plastic" frames. Also, in my experiance, the larger the model of gun, the nicer it shoots. I was shooting a compact Xd9 back to back with a Tactical Xd40 and the 40 was much nicer to shoot. Also with my subcompact Glock 40 compared to my dads fullsize Glock 40 (a G27 and a G22). The 23 is a nice medium. Just my opinion. Sigs are great too, but I have not been real impressed with the ones I have shot. Soooo...get what feels good to you but with Glocks, Sigs, or Xds, you can't really go wrong. Also, Glock are the easiest gun I've ever seen to take apart, which is very nice!

There is a threat out here explain between all different handguns, i may be wrong here but to me its exactly right:
glocks and xd are japanese car...... You can get cheap parts fot it
sigs&hks&walther are bmw........high maintence (each mag cost over 45 bucks)
1911 either you love it or hate it.... Its a dodge, gas hog or money gobbling. A lot of people hold and shoot the 1911 they hate the feeling of it, some love it so much that they have to had it.

To me the best way to find a effect handgun is go to the range hang out there i like do, talk to the shooter and see the functionality of each type of guns. If you are lucky to see nice guy like me..... I will offer you a few mags tried out my handgun.

First gun?

Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD are three in your price range. Get your
hands on all of them, shoot them if you can.

Personally I like Glocks. Simple, not expensive. Easy to strip and clean.
Extra magazines are reasonably priced, and there is a huge aftermarket
in sights, parts, etc.

If I had $600 ± and wanted a 40:

I would go to Keiths and buy a good clean police trade-in second
generation Glock mdl 22. Offer him $350 cash + background. He has
lots of G22's.

I would immediately add something to the grip--the 2nd gen guns feel
a little slick to me. Skateboard tape, slip on grip? My favorite is
A-Grip from Brooks Tactical--it's a kind of stick-on suede that works well
in all conditions.

40 ammo isn't as cheap as 9mm. I would seriously consider a 22 caliber
conversion kit. Shoot cheap 22 long rifle to get more trigger time.

Shoot it--a lot. Get some training if needed. A Glock is NOT the easiest
gun in the world to shoot accurately! Good grip, trigger control and technique
are rewarded. If you have bad habits it will spank you harder than a heavier
all steel gun.

If you want to try one PM me and we will see what we can do. I'm a member of the CVSC
range at Dundee---not TOO far a drive from Canby.

I would agree that you should narrow your choices to a couple and shoot them before you buy. There's plenty of people on here that would let you, or there's ranges that have guns to rent, Clackamas County Range, A Place to Shoot, etc.
But you definetly want to find out what gun fits you better before spending the money.

I also like the Glocks, but I would rather have a Sig, there more money, but worth every penny. I've also read up on them and I was talking to a friend of mine that worked for the DEA and "The Agency" and he said he used a Sig with the Dea and when he retired and worked for intel they issued him a Glock and he hated it compared to the Sig.

I personally don't have a Sig, but have been waiting until I find some money to pick one up. And I sold my Glock 27 when I needed some money. I don't regret that.

I had a G27 too, and traded it away. It wasntmuch fun to shoot and was not super accurate. For a Glock ide get a 23 for a first one.

like it has been said before,

Glock, Sig, XD, M&P, they are all very nice guns. Each has features the others don't. Try all of them out, which ever one feels best in your hands, is the one to buy. If it is comfortable you will shoot it more. If you shoot it more, you will get better with it. After that, you can decide what to get next.

Smith and Wesson, M&P40. I love mine, never a failure. It's Made In America too. Plus, I recently penciled mine out...for $644...I have an M&P 40, a 9mm Conversion barrel from Storm Lake and 4 mags in 9mm, and a .357SIG barrel (that uses the .40 mags). I did get mine when they had a $50 rebate...so you might pay a bit more. But, for the prices of "a gun an a half", I have 3 calibers I can shoot from a very reliable and accurate gun. The ergos are great on it as well. Definitely check it out...their customer service is awesome as well.

Look around for a new or used Sig Pro. P2340 or P2022. Excellent pistols that, for one reason or another, never seemed to catch on. The Sig guys were leary of the 'plastic pistol' and the the tupperware crowd already had their Glocks.
Swap out the barrel and you can also have a .357 sig.
There can be some good prices to found if you are patient.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top