Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for a .223 that is light enough to carry and hunt with, Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by tlakidd, Jan 9, 2011.

1. tlakidd

tlakidd Eugene Member

I am looking for a .223 that I can hunt with. Not looking for a heavy barrel, as I want to be able to walk through the dessert or woods with. Accuracy is still very important and I am not interested in any AR and AK suggestions.
    Thanks
    Tlakidd

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Not that I own or handled, consider Tikka t3?

You could go manufacture web sites, to see what the weight of the gun is. Also need to know what barrel length, what kind of hunt you are doing could help others lead you better choice.

3. SWCR

SWCR Sedro-Woolley, WA Member

4. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

another vote for the T3. Those actions are smoooooooth.

5. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

I really like the Kimber Montana in .223rem

here is a 100yd group with the first ammo I tried. 60gr Vmax from black hills reman'd
    31f0c0b7.jpg

6. gwhitney

gwhitney Seattle New Member

The Browning X-bolt SS barrel with synthetic stock is very accurate and light to haul around. I like the Kimber too but the Browning is lighter in my experience.

7. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

Hmmm.
    Kimber Montana 5lb 6oz
    Browning X-Bolt SS/Carbon Fiber 6lb 1oz
    Browning X-bolt SS/Syn 6lb 3oz

Better? Maybe
    Lighter? No

8. gwhitney

gwhitney Seattle New Member

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. My arms aren't sensitive down to that level. If that's the case then I'd take the Kimber personally.

9. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

I'd take the Montana too. I sold mine then got such bad buyers remorse I had to go beg for it back.

10. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Interarms Mini Mauser aka Remington 799 aka Charles Daly Mini Mauser----all made by Zastava.

11. no time

no time Roseburg area Active Member

Remington model 7 is really light. Mine is pretty accurate too.

12. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

10.5" SBR'd AR15... oh wait no Ar's :)

13. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

For a lightweight .223 for hunting, nothing would beat a Thompson Contender Carbine. Even with a fat barrel (and synthetic stock) and compact scope, you'd probably only have a 5lb rifle at max.

If the preference is for a repeater (bolt gun), the lightweight award would probably go with BillM's choice: The Mini Mauser.

Originally imported by Interarms, these guns were of extremely high quality and finish (and accuracy). It is literally a shrunken-down tiny action that very closely resembles a M98 Mauser and/or a Sako combined. When the Balkan conflict erupted, unfortunately that factory was one of the first things destroyed. Charles Daly began importing these guns again when they ramped up production, and now Remington puts their name on what is called a 799. From the specimens I've seen, fit and finish is deplorable.

The original Mini-Mausers' values skyrocketed (due to their quality and accuracy reputation) when they became unavailable for a while. Those familiar with this beautiful little gun have kept the values of the originals up there, despite the newer, cruder offerings. I cannot comment on the accuracy of the 799 from Remington. Remington should seriously reconsider putting their name on such a poor example of finish work on a firearm, especially when this gun has the potential to be a visual knock-out.

My Interarms Mini-Mauser .223 is the perfect "walking varminter". It shines in the dog-town when a bench gun is not the choice. It carries on the shoulder for coyotes as if it weren't there. I was so enthralled with this little rifle, that I obtained a 7.62x39 version of it, tore the barrel off, and turned it into a .25 PPC. The perfect rifle for chasing Pronghorn Antelope on foot.

14. pokobt

pokobt N. Coast Oregon Member

I favor the Contender pistols for accuarcy and compactness. I have also had great experience witht the Kel Tec Su16c- super light and 1" moa- pop in a 5 round mag and you are hunting all day with a 5# rifle. I also second the vote to look at the CZ carbine-beautiful rifle- I would love to try one out myself.