JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why has the 6.8 spc dropped off the map with AR's? I love this round so much. I would pick it over 300 blackout or 5.56 all day. Any 6.8 fans out there? Post me some pics of you builds.

IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0057.JPG

I remember back in 2010-2012 6.8 SPC was really being pushed several Company's, Rock River Arms heavily advertised it and so did Wilson Combat. I am curious as well. Why did it fade away? Not enough folks get on board with it?

Well i know John noveske stepped away from it when he got together with AAC and started making the 300 blackout barrels. The original johnny's rifle was a 10.5 6.8 spc. It may have been a 10 inch actually but i think blackout was favored because of shooting suppressed.

Last Edited:
Love my 6.8. I've build four, they're all great and have taken three deer with them. 6.5 Grendel is being pushed harder since the cost of ammo is much more reasonable and the ballistics are very close with 6.5 winning out, marginally, after 500yds.

IMG_1974.JPG Am a fan! My RRA hits the gong at 500 easily all day long. POI is same at 200 as it is at 100. Am shooting 115 gr Nosler otm's over 27 gr H322. I have hunted dogs and deer with it but haven't seen any furry creatures on the times I have taken it out. Scope is an illuminated Hawke optic.

Why has the 6.8 spc dropped off the map with AR's? I love this round so much. I would pick it over 300 blackout or 5.56 all day. Any 6.8 fans out there? Post me some pics of you builds.

Who says it's dropped off the map? I think when we start taking different caliburs for the Ar15 platform it gets pretty divided between the 6.8spc and the 6.5 Grendel as they are both pretty close in performance for what most people who shoot them use them for. If one of them did not exist then there would be twice as much talk about the one that did. The 300 blackout is designed pretty much for an altogether different purpose so when it comes to long range and hunting the 6.5 and 6.8 share the spotlight on that and there are 2 groups from different camps on that subject.

When it comes to western Deer hunting on a ar15 platform (without jumping to the Ar10 platform) There are only 2 human ways to go and that is the 6.8spc and 6.5Grendel. The .300BO is too short range and the .223 is just too small.

I am in the process of now downgrading my 6.8 spc to convert from a bench rifle to a hunting rifle for western deer. I picked up in trade a White oak 18" fluted stainless steel barrel with ambi-extension the guy had built a tack driver with it. but I want a brush beater that is lightweight to carry while I walk 5 miles + down logging roads or getting in and out of the truck to glass areas scouting for elk and although it's not that heavy it weighs more than my 30.06 bolt action so it defeats its purpose so I am putting a 16" lightweight barrel on it for that purpose. I also own a 6.5 Grendel I don't see the point for owning both and in the end chose the 6.8spc and the Grendel is for sale in the classifieds. It was a tough decision deciding between it and the Grendel as the Grendel is known to outperform it at longer distances. In the end I chose the 6.8spc

Some great looking rifles on this thread guys. Great feedback also.

This is a 6.8 build i did last year but haven't put optics or anything on it and haven't even got to shoot it.

004.JPG

Last Edited:
I am a fan. Don't shoot it much since .308 can be had for cheaper. Same with the 7.62x39.

High ammo price will knock anything into obscurity. Unless you're heavily invested into it with components for handloading, it sucks to shoot high volumes of ammo that costs .90 or so a round.

The history of the Grendel from the 6.5mm PPC data being copyrighted from someone who did not develop it seams wrong. Plus at 500 yard you don't have enough energy/speed for a effective hunt/expansion.
6.8 Special for me was the better choice and in its designed parameters exceed my expectations.

Some great looking rifles on this thread guys. Great feedback also.
This is a 6.8 build i did last year but haven't put optics or anything on it and haven't even got to shoot it.
View attachment 364085
@AR_Ebay -- that is a beautiful rifle. WTH??? ;-)

I am a fan. Don't shoot it much since .308 can be had for cheaper. Same with the 7.62x39. High ammo price will knock anything into obscurity. Unless you're heavily invested into it with components for handloading, it sucks to shoot high volumes of ammo that costs .90 or so a round.
Reloading is ~27¢ or less per round. Have about 1,200 I'll be doing for 19¢ each. Unfortunately cannot find the components to get it any cheaper.

Even though the 300blk out was expensive at first the price has come down alot and you can get sub sonic rounds pretty easy I don't know much about the 6.8 I thought about building one but I went with the 300 instead

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top