JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Dillon xl 650 set up for 223 but do not like dismantling and changing calibers back and forth. For the foreseeable future I want it dedicated. Any ideas for a 40 caliber press? I already have the dies. Thanks.

Well, I'll take the risk of getting flamed here, and recommend a press other than something blue.
I have 5, oh wait 6 progressive presses but none are blue :s0092:.
Why, I like the mechanics as much as the reloading, and the challenge of getting these presses humming along and cranking out quality ammo.

I load most handgun calibers and have found the Lee Pro Auto Disc(PAD) works well on all presses because of it's simple case activating feature, regardless of the press brand.
For the Lee PAD I use the spring return actuation arm with an extention spring attached to an adjacent die that's easier to disconnect to thro a charge to weight check. Mirror.JPG
The risers are just to get some room between the measure and index rod.

OK, enough defensive posturing, I recomened the Lee Pro 1000, for it's simlpicity/reliability/price.

Lee kind of shot themselves in the foot when they introduced the Factory Crimp Die and convinced everyone they needed one.
That is a 4th operation requiring a 4 station progressive which the Pro 1000 is NOT!!!

I bought my 1st Pro1000 as my 4th progressive to have as a seperate press for one caliber and was impressed with it's simplicity and ease of operation.
With the included case feeder, there's only one thing for your left hand to do (place the bullet into the case) and your right hand never needs to leave the lever.
The only thing I added to the kit was a $10 brass collator, that's it.
Yeh, I did some simple mods to it but that's just my nature, simple stuff the bettered the operation for me, and may not be necesary for most.
Lots of vids on youtube to get an idea of what to expect with the Lee Pro 1000 kit.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lee+pro+1000+progressive+press+review+
Some have over the top mods but most with simple mods that are simple to do.
flame away,
:D

Last Edited:
I'll third the praise for the pro 1000. I bought it to use for one caliber only, 300 BLK since it was already setup with a #4 shellplate. It has worked for me but there was an "obubblegumz" moment when it locked up on me during a session. That was solved with two parts that were covered under the warranty, even though it was a used press.;)

Sorry for the derail of your post OP but I am in the process of converting my pro 1000 from 300 BLK to 40 Smith & Wesson and bought a shell plate from Brownell's. This shell plate I received today has three holes (thinking this is for the newer versions of pro 1000 ) where my original one has none, will it work on my older press?

36433F23-473F-46B0-8963-DC38D408D5B8.jpeg

Sorry for the derail of your post OP but I am in the process of converting my pro 1000 from 300 BLK to 40 Smith & Wesson and bought a shell plate from Brownell's. This shell plate I received today has three holes (thinking this is for the newer versions of pro 1000 ) where my original one has none, will it work on my older press?

View attachment 754503

I'd compare the new shell holder with the current one and see if the working portions line up. Hopefully it's backwards compatible. I couldn't find any info on YT. If you have to, paint your press blue and that should fix everything.

As underrated as I think the pro 1000 is it takes about 90 seconds to convert my 650 to a different caliber that uses the same primer size (and only a additional 2.5 minutes to convert the primer feed) with dedicated tool heads and powder measures though if you get the quick release for the powder measure you can just change that and use a preset powder bar to save a bit of cash.

I have a Dillon xl 650 set up for 223 but do not like dismantling and changing calibers back and forth. For the foreseeable future I want it dedicated. Any ideas for a 40 caliber press? I already have the dies. Thanks.

One press
Two press
Three press
BLUE Press:D

Nothing wrong with #2 Dillon 650/750 press. I did a second 1050 to have dedicated small and large primer presses. This way I don't get confused and push a large primer into a small pocket...... oh wait to load 45ACP it can still happen!

Too late to find these at reasonable prices? Any ideas?

750s in stock at Double Alpha. If you want the case feeder those say in-stock first of next week. They have full packages there and since they are pre-ordering to STOCK the Dillons, its like you put your order in with Dillon 2 months ago. Front of the line.

750s in stock at Double Alpha. If you want the case feeder those say in-stock first of next week. They have full packages there and since they are pre-ordering to STOCK the Dillons, its like you put your order in with Dillon 2 months ago. Front of the line.

I have a fully dedicated xl 650 for 223 and do not want to switch now. Was looking for a less expensive 40 caliber progressive. Lee's have gone up in price and I have lost interest unless I can find a precrisis sale price.

View attachment 754503
The presses sold now have a shot pin to help locate the shell plate after indexing, that's what those 3 holes are for.
That's only an "enhancement" for the mechanically challenged reloaders who don't/can't read the simple instructions on how to adjust the index.
That new design shell plate will work in any Pro 1000.

I have a fully dedicated xl 650 for 223 and do not want to switch now. Was looking for a less expensive 40 caliber progressive. Lee's have gone up in price and I have lost interest unless I can find a precrisis sale price.
yeh, I looked around the usual places for a Lee Pro 1000 and could not find one "in stock".
There's are some on ebay but none at the less than $200 prices of just a month or so ago.
Maybe put a wanted ad for something used will find you a press?
jmo,
:s0092:

The presses sold now have a shot pin to help locate the shell plate after indexing, that's what those 3 holes are for.
That's only an "enhancement" for the mechanically challenged reloaders who don't/can't read the simple instructions on how to adjust the index.
That new design shell plate will work in any Pro 1000.

I figured that's all it was, thanks for cementing my thought.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top